Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, Jonny Gorden!!!

Thank you, Jonny Gorden!!!

To Jonny Gorden, author of the Lightwave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation books, THANK YOU !!!

For a decade and a half I tried to create organic characters using Caligari's TrueSpace but I could never wrap my head around the techniques needed to do it. With Caligari taking TrueSpace in a new direction, one which I didn't like, I closed the door on a decade and half of work and moved over to Lightwave 3D 8, finding myself back on Square 1, back at the beginning, learning how to create a cube, a sphere, how to apply a texture, etc.

For the past few months I've been tinkering away in Lightwave, learning the package, the tools, etc. A few days ago, I picked up your two books (which I actually bought when they were originally released) and sat down and followed the instructions on creating Morfi. TWO DAYS later, I was stunned to find I had done just that, I had actually modelled my first ever organic model.

Putting Morfi aside, I started a new model just to see if I could do it myself and in less then an hour I created Furry Bear here.

He's nowhere hear as good looking as Morfi, and I'm sure the skilled users here will look at Furry Bear and laugh, but to me, this is a landmark achievement!! This is an organically modelled teddy bear, done in less then an hour!

One week ago, I couldn't do this...
    Two days with your book gave me the skills needed to enter the realm of organic character modelling, a skill set I've been trying to get for 15+ years!!

Furry Bear above may look very basic, but to me I'm totally over the moon with this achievement. You've opened a door for me that I couldn't put a dent in for 15+ years. Now I have a whole new realm of 3D creativity to learn and explore.

Thank you very much, Jonny, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this series of books and I look forward to continuing to learn from them as I move on to Hamish's model.

Paul Boland.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

you should also check Inside Lightwave series, they were great for me, probably you can find used ones.

Also, search the forums for William Vaughan's video tutorials, they are simply essential LightWave viewing.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    Congrats.

I know exactly how you feel. I had the same thing happen a few years ago when I discovered LW. I was using "other" packages that felt really cumbersome. But when I jumped on over here, I felt like I could actually do something with the package.

My turning point was when I used Larry's videos. After that, it hasn't been the same.

Seems that a decision I made in 1997 to turn from TrueSpace to Lightwave was a right one. At last, I was confirmed

Thank you Paul, good luck with your pursue. For the first character ever made in Lightwave that bear looks bloody awesome. Congratulations and can't wait to see more...
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

Hey Paul you might find a few of these useful:
    http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/char_mod/

Congrats with your bear Paul!

Now, get back to work and keep those character comming!
    MacBook Pro quad core 2,6Ghz, 8Gb ram
    Mac Pro dual Intel quad core 2.8 Ghz, 8Gb ram, Quadro 4000

my website and 2011 showreel
    http://www.simonglas.net

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    Hey Paul you might find a few of these useful:
    http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/char_mod/
    Vfx cast has some cool vids on there nowdays..as ever 'ole splinegod show you how simple it is to model organics in lightwave> Pteradactyl model.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

You have some videos stashed somewhere dont you? Post em up!

Sorry, been away the past few days. Thanks, All, for the extra links and info and the posts of encouragement. I do have other books and videos which I've been working from to learn Lightwave, but it was Jonny's books which have lead me, finally, to organic character modelling. I will sure be posting more of my work in this field as I explore and expand my skills in this area. Thanks again, all these tips and links are very much appreciated.
    KnightTrek Productions

Paul, you are most welcome, it's always great to hear stories like yours.

I look forward to seeing what you're able to achieve (Dragon Quest 2) when you've completed my books

Keep an eye out on my site in the coming months for some updates to my books. I won't be publishing full updated versions until LW10 is released, but I'll be posting some new info and additional tutes relevant to LW9...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Keep an eye out on my site in the coming months for some updates to my books. I won't be publishing full updated versions until LW10 is released, but I'll be posting some new info and additional tutes relevant to LW9...
    Sweet! Man, I am so looking forward to that! Those books are gold. The fundamentals are still solid with 9.5.1, but I am really curious to get your take on the recent changes with LW, and what that has changed with your working methodology!

Smile

Hi Jonny. Glad to see you saw my post. Thanks again for writing these books, I'm finally at the beginning of creating organic character models. I will indeed keep an eye on your site.

Cheers!!

PS: Dragon Quest 2... I was actually thinking the same thing myself ...
    KnightTrek Productions

Thanks Stunt Pixels, you're right not too much has changed with 9 that effects the books, but a few things are just starting to happen that are worth mentioning (That's not to say of course that lots of things haven't changed, just not in the areas that are really important to my books).

Ultimately not much has changed with my techniques either, the fundamentals are still the same for sure. It's the more advanced stuff that tends to change, the icing on the cake. The building blocks are still the same... well, until very recently...

Paul, keep in touch. If you have any probs lemme know, and best of luck with your character creation

Sorry for resurrecting this old topic, but just wanted to share my latest developments in this field. The text below the image is the actual text on my website post of this image.

Man

According to the Bible, God created man in his own image...
    What I'm wondering is, did he start out with a cube!! Because that's exactly how I started Man here.

For over a decade and a half I tried to do organic modelling in Caligari's TrueSpace. While I did produce some human characters in my time, they were blocky, made of individual pieces, and hair... Hair was usually polygons textured to look like hair, but basically flat, glued to the characters head. Don't get me wrong, I loved those creations, another step forward in my 3D development, but I always wanted to be able to do proper character models and it was a skill I just never could wrap my head around in TrueSpace.

A year ago I made the move over to Lightwave 3D 8 and have been working away in it, learning the new tools, the new ways of doing things, and further developing my 3D skills. Tonight I've taken yet another step forward. Let me introduce, "Man"...

Man started life as a cube and with the use of SubPatches, was shaped and molded into this fine chap above. His head is all one object, there are no bits and pieces here and there. The only parts that are seperate objects are the two eyes which are two spheres. The hair was created using Sasquatch.

Development time was 3 hours. I'm sure a seasoned Lightwave user could churn out Man, and a much better version of him at that, in much less time, but for me, this is another huge step forward in my 3D development. And, once again, Lightwave 3D's render engine left me floored at its speed, rendering Man here in 1.9 seconds.
    KnightTrek Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast