Thread: Display subpatch level? Ocean details better???

Display subpatch level? Ocean details better???

Just wondering, I really have never messed with the "Display subpatch level" in the properties panel and I want a really detailed ocean. One that doesn't look computer generated. I would rather spend an extra week in render then have a fake looking ocean. I was wondering if the DSL set to 12 is going to give me a much more detailed ocean then the default 3?
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

The display level does not effect the rendered image at all. It just effects what you see in the viewports. So you can adjust it based on how fast your computer and video card are to adjust your viewport performance - and what you see as well.

Your render level is what effects the resolution of the mesh at render time. And yes, that can greatly effect the final rendered image. Try a few different settings to see how they look: 1, 3, 10, 40, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffrySG View Post
    Try a few different settings to see how they look: 1, 3, 10, 40, etc.
    00ooof!! Render sub-patch level of 40! That might cause a bit of a pause before drawing anything!

To my knowledge, fprime reads the 'display' sub-patch level only for it's geometry calculations when rendering, not the 'render' sub-patch level. Though I could very well be wrong there.

flakester.

Evil Bastard Incorporated
    set display between 3-6 depending on the density of the subpatched ocean and render level between 6-12 again depending on the density of the original.

The more dense the object the lower the display/render levels.

'The more dense the object' sounds like some forum admins I know
    This little chapter in history is over, ended, finito, no more, an ex chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew March View Post
    'The more dense the object' sounds like some forum admins I know
    lol!

Yes, each model will definitely have its own sweet spot for a render setting...

Also think about using APS so that you don't subdivide more than you need to. You can base it on distance to camera so that polygons far away from the camera are not subdivided as much as those close to the camera.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Also think about using APS so that you don't subdivide more than you need to. You can base it on distance to camera so that polygons far away from the camera are not subdivided as much as those close to the camera.

B
    Hey that's good advice. Thanks. I never thought about the far away objects with less polygons.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

Try to keep Display and Render subD levels the same. When you don't, you'll see the spinning beachball (or timer) as LW re-calculates the entire subd mesh whenever you hit F9, and then again when it's done rendering. It's harmless, it just adds a lot of time to renders.

And APS is probably the best thing that ever happened to ocean renders! ( I don't know if the above tip applies to APS )
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)