Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Run video in reverse in speedit

Run video in reverse in speedit

I am editing a clock and the hands move clockwise. I want the hands of the clock to move counter clockwise. I am editing in speedit in the Tricaster Pro.
    How do I do this function?

Yes, how do you reverse clips on the timeline in Tricaster Pro/Speededit???

SpeedEDIT has a Reverse checkbox in Clip Properties ... I think it's in TC's Edit Media tab too, but can't check just this minute, sorry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hey Steve.

If someone had TCP, and cannot run a clip in reverse, but they had SpeedEDIT, could they make a preset to make a clip play in reverse in SE, and then save the preset, copy the preset to the user created ones in TCP, or is that impossible?

Is this ill-advised?

Someone asked me this a long time ago, and I never responded, because I don't know, but I figured that you might...........

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it worked, Kurt. Given that this is not something you'd do during a Live production, it's probably safe. I see TC doesn't have the Reverse switch, but another workaround would be to run a DDR backwards and record the output.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by billyr1949 View Post
    Yes, how do you reverse clips on the timeline in [EDIT Media, on] Tricaster Pro... ???
    Anyone got a firm answer on this? I was *just* looking for a "reverse" function in EDIT MEDIA (selected a clip and clicked the CONTROL tab), on TriCaster STUDIO 2.0 the other day, and couldn't find it!

Hmmmmm.... now let's see if its under here...

I only have TCP v2, but I know it is NOT in the feature set.

It's in SE 1.55 or VT5.2b SE, but not in the tricaster.

Do you have access to a VT or Speed Edit Standalone?

If not, I could try the "create a preset" that Steve B and I were discussing above. As long as this does not break and "rules" about sharing a preset, I am willing to give it a shot. I have until 5:30 PM CST in the studio today, and have (2) VT5.2b rigs, 2 copies of Speed Edit 1.55, and a TCPv2.

So, unless a newtekker chimes in and says

a) this won't work or
    b) I am breaking part of my agreement for using the software

then I will try to make a preset from SE and see if it will take.

Your "Edit Media" is more advanced that the TCPv2 version, but I think they chose to leave reverse clip out.

If you want to plea your case you can e-mail [email protected]

or if you want to go to the head of the class, you can contact Dr. Andrew Cross at
    Across AT Newtek dot COM
    or John Perkins
    Jperkins AT Newtek dot COM

Steve Bowie is already on this thread, but corresponding with Steve is worth your time. He has many clever solutions for production and post production issues.

These guys make decisions on what features are in and out, and then they have to do the work to add or subtract a feature (programming).

Or, they may have a teknique to do what you are trying to achieve through a clever idea of theirs.

The products are different. The whole ball of wax is in the VT, but it is also too much for a lot of users, where the Tricaster is a good fit for nearly anyone, from beginner to pro.

I can use a VT or TCP for live events. If it's small, I use the TCP. For big shows, I use a VT.

But, if you have the Studio model, you have already made a sizeable investment in your rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_Henning View Post
    These guys make decisions on what features are in and out, and then they have to do the work to add or subtract a feature (programming).
    Actually, I just sharpen pencils and fetch coffee for the guys who make decisions - oh, and I nag for more/bigger/better features constantly (ask anyone).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Kurt,
    If you have SpeedEdit standlone, you can load a clip, set "reverse" in the properties panel, then save the clip as a .VTD file. You should able to load that VTD file in TCPro's Edit Media and see it play back backward.

But if you have SpeedEdit by hand, why you want to edit in EditMedia?

Also, I can not find the user spline preset file of SpeedEDIT's ToolShed. I don't have chance to test whether SpeedEdit ToolShed preset can be used in EditMedia or not.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

REVERSE CLIP Would Make for a Nifty Addition to EDIT MEDIA

*Anybody* have *any* round-about way to REVERSE a video clip in the EDIT MEDIA panel in TriCaster PRO or TriCaster STUDIO?

'Would love to hear it!

This, my friends, would make for a nifty addition to the TriCaster Update, don't you think?

Strange, that I don't recall having missed this before...

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    *I DON'T HAVE A TriCaster*
    So can you see if in TC SpeedEdit or whatever it is called in TC, control tree, layer settings and see if there is Playback Speed?

If there is, then stretch the clip double it's length (if it's 2 sec.'s then drag the out to be 4 sec.'s). This should give you zebra stripes where you stretched since the clip you have dragged the length longer than the original clip is.
    Now make a keyframe at the start of the clip of the 100 value that is default. Move to the end of the original clip length (in my example 2 sec mark) and make another keyframe of 100.
    Now press the right arrow key on the key board once or twice until the keyframe white circle goes away (sometimes you are on half of it and not until you get to whole new frame, will the keyframe circle go away).
    Now change the value to -100. Move the end of the clips stretched time and make another -100 key frame.
    Play the clip and you will see it go in reverse right at the first -100 keyframe mark.
    Now move the timeline to the start where the clip starts to go in reverse.
    Press the c key to cut the clip and select the left, original portion.
    Delete it leaving you with the portion you stretch in zebra stripes.
    Now place this new reverse clip anywhere in your project.

Take care and hope TC SpeedEdit has the Playback Speed in the control tree.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I have not delved into Jose's idea.

But Chen's idea works. He typed saved as .vtd. but I did not see that option, but I did see VTP. I think that's what he meant.

This experiment starts in SE 155

I took a single clip (a countdown clock), went to EP and selected reverse, and saved the vtp project. I moved the project over the network to the TCP, loaded it, and now I have a clip playing in reverse in TCP.

I tried to make a preset in SE 155 called reverse, but even after making it in SE and applying it to other clips, the "reverse" checkbox did not come on.

I tried to make a "scale" preset, start from beginning and start from end. No dice for me.

So, I did not have success with creating a custom preset. I have made many in the past, so I don't really know why this is not working like I had expected.

But there are many ways to do the same thing in SE.

The project method does work.

If someone wants it, I can send the project, but the preset solution does not see to work -- for me. Perhaps this is user error, but I don't think so.

My e-mail address is above in the thread, and any TC only folks are welcome to it, because I don't mind collaborating and trying to come up with solutions for colleagues. I also have TC only clients in this situation.

I tried to take the clip in TCP and make a preset called "reverse." Also no dice. I cloned the clip and took another from the media bin and inherited. The clip plays in reverse. So, I hope this solution will make everyone happy and reverse clip playback in TC is certainly possible.

Stevie B's idea to run the clip in reverse and recapture would also work. That was a clever solution.

I am off to a Sunday deal, so I will try Jose's idea to get his question addressed, unless someone beats me to it.

It's March.......

Be well

I keep seeing this and INTENDING to look into it whan I'm at the studio. Furtunately our business is ramping up so much that I keep forgeting to. (But that's a good thing).

So in short, I have a great idea. How about NewTek give us this option!
    Probably not the top on my priority list, but I wonder if it's easily doable?
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

The feature is already a part of SpeedEDIT.

Newtek engineering left it out on purpose to delineate between products. If you want that feature that this time, you need to use a different product that they have already created, or one of your choice.

Edit Media is a scaled down SpeedEDIT. There are many things that I miss in Edit Media on the occasion I have to use it (subprojects for me). I also find it odd that I cannot easily make a section of video a specific duration without dragging. This is a main funtion of an editor IMO.

I have brought this up, but the answer seems to be that this is why there is a difference between SE and Edit Media. They are not the same, and were not intended to be.

If I have spoken out of turn, I imagine an engineer will correct my error.

Even though there is no "reverse" button, the effect can be achieved, and that is the point of creating the .vtp.

Of my TC clients, only one relies on Edit Media. Most have their "editor" of choice. Most of these folks are Final Cut editors, and their complaint was the TC format capture. But, I forked out the $20 to get the plugin for the MAC that allows the capture to be read natively. Re-rendering the file from TC ties up the machine for a purpose that is better suited by a codec or a utility also IMO.

If this statement is in error, please realize this is just my opinionation running away with me.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_Henning View Post
    I have brought this up, but the answer seems to be that this is why there is a difference between SE and Edit Media. They are not the same, and were not intended to be.

Even though there is no "reverse" button, the effect can be achieved, and that is the point of creating the .vtp.
    But that would still require SpeedEdit not Edit Media as is in TC.
    So the question remains, is the Playback Speed available in the Control Tree of Edit Media?
    If you have SpeeEdit, why even bother with Edit Media
    I believe Billy only has Edit Media with his TC.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast