Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Run video in reverse in speedit

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    Is there a clear line of what's OK/not OK in terms of soft modification to the Tricaster?

Specifically with regard to:
    • Third Party DVEs
    • Editing DveDatabase.cfg to recognize a newly installed DVE
    • Third Party LiveSets
    • Third Party ToasterScripts/Skins loaded via UserSkins directories

Obviously I would expect that modifying the original Tricaster code as Chen suggested would not be recommended. JCupp's recommendation of dropping the launch script in a UserScripts folder would seem in line with previous posts I've seen from at least one NewTek employee recommending running added in scripts from UserScripts folders.

Please note, I'm not trying to place *any* judgement here on what's right or wrong. IMHO it's well within NewTek's rights to say that ANY modification blows the warranty. I'm just asking what the official line is, as I'm concerned about the validity of recommendations I make to folks buying DVEs or LiveSets from me.
    So now I'm curious as to this as well.
    Are we talking only 3rd party plug-ins here free or for sale?
    I don't program but that would be scary if I could not sell a plug-in that gave a TC user more functions.
    Does that also mean that if I had a TC, a third party plug-in would need to be Newtek approved safe?

Curious,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Does that also mean that if I had a TC, a third party plug-in would need to be Newtek approved safe?
    I'm not speaking for NewTek when I say this, but really - with the exception of the odd formal partnership or 'certification/approval process' - isn't it pretty much always the case that reliability and performance of third-party add-ons for any product is between the third-party and the end-user? In my experience, that would certainly be the most common case.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by animlab View Post
    I hope I can heard NewTek response as "Yes, we are listen. Your request might be added to next build and solve your problems." and make users such as billyr1949, Q1 and many others feel NewTek are answering their questions.
    Not to speak for Paul, but I respectfully suggest this is a bit of an oversimplification. The same argument could, and no doubt would, be made for a countless list of other items (more advanced colour correction, more Toolshed features, more Control Tree parameters, a spline editor, etc., etc., etc.)

I'd certainly say NewTek does listen. They read threads such as this one with interest. They listen to end-users, and dealers such as yourself have private channels for feedback as well - and they are definitely encouraged to use them.

Looking at one item like this in isolation may seem to make things simple, but in reality changes of any sort are ... significant. In the end, decisions are taken and implemented with many, many factors considered.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    In the end, decisions are taken and implemented with many, many factors considered.
    Yes, there's a lot more than "will it work" to consider. "Is it right for the product" is key. If we look at Tricaster as a streamlined, simplified, turn-key version of VT, it only makes sense to have less complex features in the editor - even if the underlying support code for them is there. That keeps Tricaster closer too it's target of a system that is fast, simple to use, and simple to train people to use.

It also makes a lot of sense, if the feature is missing for that reason, that it would only have its control on the skin removed, rather than the function removed from the core code. That way the core code can be shared between SE, VT and Tricaster (much fewer support and development headaches) and only the skin must be changed for each product. That hearkens back the the idea we've heard before that Tricaster developments benefit SE and VT, and vise-versa. Common core code components can make that a reality.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Um, Steve gave a really simple solution back on Page one.
    Play the clip(s) in reverse in a DDR, and record live output.
    That seems much quicker and easier than fretting over voiding warranties.
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    [email protected]

"The future's so bright, I think it's unterminated".

I liked Steve B's idea at the start of this thread. Load the clip in the DDR, play it backwards while recording the main out. Simple, and elegant if you ask me.

Bob Anderson

Reverse video in Tricaster Pro Work Around

Capture the video you what to run in reverse in the DDR in Live Production.
    Play the video in Live Production and click on the reverse button on video clip playback. Go to Capture media and name capture clip in the record/stream. Play clip in reverse and capture it.
    Look for the new clip name in the Edit Media and drag it to timeline. The video will run in reverse and you can control the speed by stretching the clip.

Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    Yes, there's a lot more than "will it work" to consider. "Is it right for the product" is key. If we look at Tricaster as a streamlined, simplified, turn-key version of VT, it only makes sense to have less complex features in the editor - even if the underlying support code for them is there. That keeps Tricaster closer too it's target of a system that is fast, simple to use, and simple to train people to use...
    True, but I'd like to humbly request that NewTek made reverse clip simple in TriCaster EDIT Media -- at least in TriCaster PRO and upward in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_LightPlay View Post
    Um, Steve gave a really simple solution back on Page one.
    Play the clip(s) in reverse in a DDR, and record live output.
    That seems much quicker and easier than fretting over voiding warranties.
    Of course that doesn't allow one to keep at least a minimum of "generational artifacting" out of the equation, right?

It's a workaround, and as such works reasonably well ... not really a substitute for a direct approach.

imho, in the case of a lot of today's codecs, adding a generation is somewhat exaggerated as a real issue, though .... sometimes significant when converting between different types of compression, but less so otherwise.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Reverse playback in DDR?

I have both Tricaster Pro and VT5. Somehow I am missing the "Reverse" check box in the DDR.
    Daniel Davis
    Media Ministries Coordinator,
    Madison Campus SDA Church

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Davis View Post
    I have both Tricaster Pro and VT5. Somehow I am missing the "Reverse" check box in the DDR.
    As you have VT[5], you can use it's full version of SE to reverse (and render) the clip. Use the Reverse switch in Clip Properties.

You could use Aura to do it (that's what was used to make those countdown clips) but it's not all that happy dealing with long files. In the TC DDR, click the second 'LED' between the wheel and the File I/O area.
    Last edited by SBowie; 06-24-2009 at 05:46 AM.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Davis View Post
    The "Reverse" function is there in DDR if you dare to dig it out. I believe it is a VT3 tricks that you can add a button or keyboard short cut to bring out the EditProperties panel. DDR is a mini version of VTEdit/SpeedEdit

You can do not only "Reverse" but seting in/out point, slow/fast motion, resize... with EditProperties panel.

This is an unsupported feature. Use with your own risk. NewTek will said it is a "reliability" matters. I have test it without too much trouble. Only the ControlTree features in EditProperties seemd not update automatically and need to click at some place to make it happen.
    If you want to know how to do it, give me a email and I will teach you.
    Last edited by animlab; 06-26-2009 at 01:59 AM.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234