Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car paint with nodes

Car paint with nodes

Hi,

I'm still on 9.2 and wanted to make a node tutorial for beginners. Actually I got of track and started to develop a car paint shader. I don't know how good the one in 9.5 is, but usually I like to have total control. This is just a start. I'm not responsible for the model (sorry, can't credit the modeler), only the paint. If there is someone who can point me to docs describing the reflectance values of the metal coating, clean coat or give me additional information about the nature of car paint I'll be more than happy to add these into the node tree. If someone is willing to host a video, I'll make one as soon the shader is more or less finished. Some samples are attached. Only HDR lighting with fprime.

Cheers
    Thomas

Here are the pics with a racetrack hdri.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Racetrack_Blue_Normal.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	64371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Racetrack_Blue_Metallic.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	64372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Racetrack_Orange_Normal.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	64373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Racetrack_Orange_Metallic.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	64374  

... and two more with an alley hdri.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alley_Orange_Normal.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	64376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alley_Orange_Metallic.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	306.1 KB 
ID:	64377  

you need to fix your smoothing angles to get rid of all the strange reflecting edges...

I would host the video here:
    www.vfxcast.com

Thanks, Larry.

The smoothing angles don't matter to me right now too much. I just needed to have a car shaped object to check the general behaviour of the node shading. But I'll check next time what's going on there.

Wikipedia: BRDF

hope this helps. lots of talk of vectors, reflectance, irradiance and surface normals. seems to be the sort of stuff nodes do reallt well at.
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

lions and tigers and vectors oh my!

Anybody tried to simulate this stuff properly in LW? I guess if one could get hold of the reflectivity numbers and diffuse amounts it should be possible to get closer than just trying. Maya does have these shaders, right? How does the LW shader compare? Is it just layered energy conserving reflectivity + diffuse + Fresnel and a few flakes or is it better?

personally, i'd be willing to bet that if newtek released a shader called cook-torrance, the coders, or at least somebody, did the in-depth research on the math.

there's always the possibility that your own research could lead you to something better or different. the community benefits, just like your hi-res tutorial (which i've referenced and used several times!). (as far as trying it myself, 1+1=3, right? )
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

I did something similar a while back on Preset Central http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/browse/ download it and see what you think. It's mostly energy conserving, but you do need both reflection and specular lights to make it properly work.

I did briefly experiment with reflection based specular noise, but it's tricky to drive the reflection noisiness additively, in a realistic way.

It's pseudo energy conserving, as the sprinkles are additive to the whole thing, but they could be tied in to the diffuse channel if you wanted.

Hi Tobian,

I did indeed take a look at your shader. What I missed is a second reflective surface beneath the coat. I included this in my shader tree. In order to get different reflective amounts on each layer (different blur) I set reflection to 100% and used mixer nodes with black in the foreground to control the amount via gradients.

I wonder if somebody measured the reflective amount of the outer coat and put the data on the web. The clean coat seems to be the smaller trouble.

Ahh ok, though I expect that will be pretty slow GAH!

Have you experimented with reflection interpolation/layering several Delta based surfaces?

No materials shaders here, just simple nodes as it's still 9.2 I'm using. so the interpolation isn't available anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast