Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVCHD in VT 5.2?

AVCHD in VT 5.2?

One of the studios that I work for picked up the Panasonic AGHMC70P AVCHD Camcorder recently. They use FCP over at that studio and they have to convert the footage in Nero before they can get it into FCP.
    I tried to load a few clips from this camera in SpeedEdit and it will not do it.

What is the issue with this format? The format is growing from what I see. What is it going to take to get NewTek to support it?

Mr. Lara I hope that you can address this.

Thanks
    Rich

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Well, even the edit systems that 'support' AVCHD are still just reading and re-encoding them into their own flavor CODEC, Rich. After NLE makers settle in with MPEG-2, the camera companies go and change formats from MPEG-2 to AVCHD.

Why don't the camera companies offer a widows CODEC if they're going to keep changing formats?
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    You should consider AVCHD Upshift for $49. It should let SpeedEDIT (or the NLE of your choice) work easily with AVCHD video.

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...d-7cee2cefba30
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

"AVCHD are still just reading and re-encoding them into their own flavor CODEC"
    Not sure that I understand what you are saying?
    In Sony Vegas 8 I can just drag and drop the AVCHD files to the timeline and they play.
    The new version of EDuis can play them I think without rendering-I could be wrong?

Vegas works with AVCHD no problem, apple Final Cut re-encodes them.
    EZ dose it, but do it!

GSC
    N-Media.net

Yup, Vegas does claim native AVCHD support, improved with the "c" version of Vegas Pro 8.0 that came out a couple weeks ago.

That said, some people still find AVCHD Upshift results in a much more fluid editing experience, especially if you don't have a brand new computer.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

according to wikipedia, avchd is just h264 video codec with pcm or ac3 audio. shouldnt be hard to implement such a common codec.
    unfortunately, i have no avchd files to test, but speededit doesnt seem to support h264... which is unfortunate, its a great codec.

Personally, I think the slow uptake of recent formats is the hesitation of editing software companies to jump into yet another licensing deal at the whim of the camera makers.

It's not as if you can drop the previous codec of the month, you have to support them from then on, with licensing fees for perpetuity. After a while, you're paying so many licensing fees that it hurts.

This hits both software companies and the consumer, regardless of what format they choose to shoot in. It results in pricing changes and loss of engineering time used to support yet another format rather than improving the core product.

Third party utilities at least shift the cost to those who use it, but I agree that if camera makers expect their format to be adopted, they should foot the bill and include Windows and Mac codecs with the cameras and decks.

<Personal rant, not NewTek's stance>
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins View Post
    Personally, I think the slow uptake of recent formats is the hesitation of editing software companies to jump into yet another licensing deal at the whim of the camera makers....
    Third party utilities at least shift the cost to those who use it, but I agree that if camera makers expect their format to be adopted, they should foot the bill and include Windows and Mac codecs with the cameras and decks.

<Personal rant, not NewTek's stance>
    Excellent commentary from you on this, John.

Q1

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lara View Post
    ...Why don't the camera companies offer a widows CODEC if they're going to keep changing formats?
    What an intriguing slip you've committed there, Paul!

Fact is, these camcorder manufacturers are already serving up "Widows" codecs, and in that connection, J. Perkins nailed it, with his "codec-of-the-month" inference.

Q1
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 10-09-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Which cameras are including codecs? Can I get more information on this?

If the clips play in Windows Media Player, I would expect SE to handle them.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

I guess it depends on how many AVCHD cameras are out there? I think that if you advertise that your NLE can handle AVCHD without a transcode you might attract some people to buy. I guess that is why Sony is doing this in Vegas.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Our experience with the Speededit and the Sony EX1 XDCAM format was great in that even Sony's own Vegas didn't support it natively. We could drop the files right in on the SpeedEdit timeline and get to work. I agree it would be nice to have SpeedEdit support as many as possible codecs but it seems that the lack of standards and cameras sticking with any sort of standards is severely limiting editing software from adapting.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I shot a job with the EX1 back in Feb and yep the EX1 footage did play, but I also tried it in Vegas and I had no problem dragging the files to the timeline in there either. The EX footage actually played smoother in Vegas than SE-I understand that the VT5 can not reduce quality or drop frames in order to play this footage smoothly like Vegas does.
    You now need to change the file extension on the EX footage to get it to load in SE because of Quicktime changes that have been made in this upgrade.
    Really how many more formats are coming down the pipe right now? AVCHD is a growing format and would it really break the bank to add support for it.
    I think that the cost might be offset by bringing new users to SE.

What Jef means is that even in Vegas, you need to do a lossless unwrap of EX video from the MP4 wrapper and rewrap it in the MXF wrapper.

Rich, are you saying you didn't do this and it played in Vegas? Cool if it does, but that wasn't my understanding of how Vegas works with EX footage.

Though I agree I'm sure it sucks for NLE companies to have to support all these new formats coming down the pike, that's simply the reality of what they have to do to stay competitive.

Though it all depends what market one is trying to woo. My impression is that AVCHD is still firmly a consumer format. It is only very recently that Panasonic has a high enough data rate version of AVCHD in a camcorder to consider it better than that, and no one else has a high data rate AVCHD camcorder like that.

I'm not convinced it's really going to catch on as a format beyond that, and definitely not in the higher end, where more and more companies are moving to long-GOP MPEG-2 in recent announcements (JVC, T/GV). And remember, SpeedEDIT can't support the XDCAM HD long-GOP MPEG-2 format, which has been out for a good while longer than AVCHD.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast