Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All my yellows are green

Amused

All my yellows are green

I'm pretty sure my color sight is okay, but it seems to me that yellow renders as slightly green. I have to move over to light orange to get the darker shades of a yellow to stay out of green. Am I imagining things?

And for the cat people here, I almost made the title: Awl ma yellowz iz greenz!

maybe you ambient color is set to green?

could be due to how shadows are treated by rendering engine ? however, I'd look to result if using a different light color works , go for it !
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Is your light blue?
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.

remembered you also can use coloured shadows
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Amused
    Ambient isn't intentionally set to anything, but I'll double check. But even in Modeler in the surface editor, pick a yellow preset and look how the darker shades go to green. When rendered in Layout, even the lighter shades look greenish.

what color is your parachute?
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

I've always had people tell me my gold looks greenish. I'm color blindish, so I thought that was the problem...

Could be your monitor. Check out a monitor calibration website like this one
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS.../CALIBRATE.HTM

But I'll bet it's just the natural way we percieve colors. If you have no color in your lights and/or fill lighting, yellow will fall of to green in the same way that blue turns to violet when desaturated; (see attached) to me, this looks greenish at the terminator.

The trick is to not use perfect primary colors, they don't occur in nature, and they're less attractive anyway. In cases like the this where yellow falls off to black, you're basically mixing yellow with plain grey. Blue skies look wrong without some green, and yellows look 'unripe' unless there's more red than green in them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sat.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	64227  
    Last edited by toby; 10-03-2008 at 11:36 PM.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

The image viewer lets you quick check any color in your render by just holding down the mouse on the desired area and reading the R G B values in the viewers title bar. R G B space is additive so Green will be

– R 0% G 100% B 0%

and Yellow will be

– R 100% G 100% B 0%

When I did a test and took a pure yellow and green patch out of Photoshop even with a pure white ambient value and a neutral grey BG color I still got around 10% or so noise from the other colors but if you're color blind a quick check like this should help give you confidence in you color management skills.

Name:	YELLOW _&_GREEN.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	525.3 KB 
ID:	64238  

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    The image viewer lets you quick check any color in your render by just holding down the mouse on the desired area and reading the R G B values in the viewers title bar. R G B space is additive so Green will be

– R 0% G 100% B 0%

and Yellow will be

– R 100% G 100% B 0%

When I did a test and took a pure yellow and green patch out of Photoshop even with a pure white ambient value and a neutral grey BG color I still got around 10% or so noise from the other colors but if you're color blind a quick check like this should help give you confidence in you color management skills.
    This is interesting, why do you think you're getting negative values? You've got more than just ambient light here, what are the sufaces like? You're using reflection and / or radiosity?

As far as noise, having Dithering on can cause that too. If you're going for pure colors that should be off.
    Confirmed -

This is interesting, why do you think you're getting negative values? You've got more than just ambient light here, what are the surfaces like? You're using reflection and / or radiosity?
    Well mostly due to the fact I'm dim, I loaded an existing file without checking all the the parameters, when I did check it over several of the lights were off white and one was pale blue, also the map had a gamma value of 120% (which is a typical set up for me but no good for a test). No dithering no radiosity (other than BG Radiosity) just reflections and shadows, even so when everything is corrected out there is still some stray color and I presume everything is adding up to more than a 100% because I don't have clamp values checked.

Name:	YELL)W GREEN_2.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	64252  

I'm not terribly color blind, but I've gotten used to all the tools. My coworkers don't even know.

Thanks, Toby, I discovered a long time ago that very saturated colors don't feel very real in a texture. I hadn't realized that pure primary colors probably look even more fake.

Amused
    I appreciate the discussion guys. A little over my head at the moment, but I'm looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    Well mostly due to the fact I'm dim, I loaded an existing file without checking all the the parameters, when I did check it over several of the lights were off white and one was pale blue, also the map had a gamma value of 120% (which is a typical set up for me but no good for a test). No dithering no radiosity (other than BG Radiosity) just reflections and shadows, even so when everything is corrected out there is still some stray color and I presume everything is adding up to more than a 100% because I don't have clamp values checked.
    I doubt that radiosity can ever give you results with no detectable noise, that's partially what makes it look good/more realistic actually. And using it with a grey background will introduce all the colors, that's where the blue values are coming from.
    Confirmed -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast