Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cobblestone plugin, free beta please test!

Exclamation cobblestone plugin, free beta please test!

I have uploaded the first beta of a plugin for creating cobblestone pavements using premodeled stones here for free download:

http://www.svenart.de/plugins/Cobclone1beta.zip

Please read the readme before starting. In the folder, there is also a subfolder with a few cobblestones. Please try it out and let me know if you have tips, ideas or critics. Much important, please let me know also, if you know a better name than cobclone or cobbleclone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coppelstone035T.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	63506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coppelstone2_011t.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	392.7 KB 
ID:	63507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coppelstone2_012t.jpg 
Views:	920 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	63508  

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Hey, I like cobbleClone

No, I haven't tried the plugin yet...

Cheers,
    Mike

Thanks Svenart. I installed the plug-in and tried it out. The first couple times I tried to add the stones with grass in between them. I got some sort of invalid statement, something with line 171 in the code. I got it working once I unchecked grass (although, there are no grass models in the folder so it may be a missing reference issue). It took a while to work, probably a minute and a half or so but I know scripts aren't always the speediest. One thing I might suggest is for you to lower the smoothing angle, as the tops of the cobblestones are showing smoothing errors.

The other thing I noticed, you may want to add more options to control the beveling on top and on the rounded corners. The object I generated which was a mid size patch of stones came up to a quarter of a million polygons.

...Grass Crasher...

Hei Sven! This is a cool plug - but, as with HRGiger, I've found that using the grass function results in an error every time...I've tried it on 32-bit and 64-bit...

Has anyone had luck with the grass function?

Any words of advice to make that function work, Sven?

Thanks again.

...wishing the best...from the void...justin...

I'm pretty sure it's just because there is no grass model in the folder that comes with the plug-in. Try making a few simple blades, save it as an object and use that file in the interface on the browse dialog. I'm currently cleaning off my system so I don't have it going at the moment.

thank you very much for testing.

@ lightwolf : thank you. I was not sure about the name.

@ hrgiger & rapscallion: You are right, I just forgot to add the folder with the gras model. Meanwhile I have uploaded a new version, now it should work.

I'm still getting the same error as before, even with the grass model. Also, now I"m getting an error code of 2903;internal fault of unknown origin.

One point short of a poly realtime's Avatar
    Just for version 9+, correct? At least I'm not having success with running it on 8.5.

Heffalump
    On Mac, I just get an illegal arithmetic operation on data type error. Line 13.
    Inactive.

thank you all very much for your feedback. I have now fixed a few bugs and made a few changes. I tested it on several versions, and the plugin should run now under LW8.2, 9.3 and 9.5 in 32 and 64bit.

Please not: If you are using lw9.5, please close all other objects in modeler before starting the plugin.

http://www.svenart.de/plugins/Cobclone1beta.zip

@ realtime: Can you tell me what errormessage you had?
    Last edited by Svenart; 09-21-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Your new version fixed several things, but I have not had an opportunity to try the grass option or rotation options yet. Good work so far.

What would be nice, is a way to have the cobblestone be able to follow a curve in a background layer [or use a saved curve object maybe] as a means to create a cobblestone road that could be curved for use with hilly terrain. I know we could probably use the Magnet tool for this, but it would be nice to have the option. Also, it would be nice to be able to conform it to a simple object shape [Box, Cylinder, etc.].

I know these ideas might be beyond the scope of what you have planned or hoped to accomplish.

I really like what you've done so far.

Thanks much for this!!

Heffalump
    It gets further on Mac, but then reports an error after loading the cobblestone object :

Line 108, illegal arithmetic operation on data type
    Inactive.

Heffalump
    It gets further on Mac, but then reports an error after loading the cobblestone object :

Line 108, illegal arithmetic operation on data type

Seems to be related to the random variation option on the cobblestones.
    Inactive.

I should have mentioned I'm on PC 32bit WinXPpro System, and not a Mac, so I'm not having the issues they're experiencing. Still haven't tried all options yet though, maybe tonight.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast