Thread: LW Crashes instantly

LW Crashes instantly

Okay, this has been frustrating me for quite some time. I had lightwave installed on my computer, and then one day it just up and quit. It crashes every time I load layout or modeler, the hub says "cannot launch program" and no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall it never works. I have another drive, so I installed it to that, it still didn't work. It was only when I put in a dual boot system and booted up in windows 98 (I'm currently using 2000 professional) and ran the program did it work. The problem is my windows 98 doesn't have a working sound card driver or cd driver (long story) so I need it on windows 2000. Any ideas what might be the problem?

All I can suggest is to reinstall Windows, can't think of anything else
    Windows tends to be a pain in the *** when something goes terribly wrong, as there's no way to fix it or even know what to fix.

It's probably a problem with the video driver. It's invoking Open GL as it launches, and it's crashing. Try to get a new video driver. What type of video card are you using? Also, try disabling the hub by using a shortcut with -0 (that's a zero) at the end of the command line.

hey, at lest you win98 starts up all the time... do the thing, get new drivers ya ya ya... se if there is an update for 2K from m$. Put 2k on the other drive and wipe 98 (its better too)

Epita

Well, wiping windows 98 is not an option, I need it's pure dos and complications have let me to use it quite frequently for several applications.

I'll try running it without the hub, but also I noticed something yesterday, when I uninstall, then reinstall, it keeps the recent files listing, so obviously uninstalling does not remove all the files and such. Perhaps there is an uninstall guide somewhere that I have not noticed that covers this?

Make sure after you uninstall that it removed the config files. This proble why switching to win98 fixed it. Cause it generated new configs files.

Definite possibility and easy to test. Remove all your lw*.cfg files from your Documents and Settings folder, then restart LightWave.
    Last edited by mattclary; 02-25-2003 at 01:30 PM.