Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LIGHTWAVE CONTEST and "THAT" STIGMA

Do not Write In This Area
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Other software companies don't seem to be suffering this same issue.
    Maybe they don't have the relationships with the studios that the other companies do or maybe the usage comes with a hefty fee that Newtek can't justify in their budget. They have been pretty "eclectic" in their marketing for as long as I can remember so who knows. Maybe they just have a vision of taking over the dancing robot market. I don't try to figure them out anymore.
    Cory

Custom built 3930K OC'd to 4.25GHz. 64GB ram. SSD system and cache drives. EVGA 680 GTX 4GB video.

Again. That is ludicrous. I really wish people would stop saying that. It was a contest and the robot won based on criteria that was rated and tallied. They did not pick the robot animation as "the thing to promote the best of LightWave". It simply won a contest for the users. That is all. They stuck to the principals of the contest and even was admitted that some of their personal favorites did not make it.

This contest was for us folks. They did it so we could have our moment in the lights. Us. Us little users not a bunch of big studios. They spent a lot of money to do this and time. It was something they saw as good for them and for us.

If anybody has let anybody down at all it would be us. Those who use LW.

We are not the total of the marketing effort at all. Not even at Siggraph. But it was great to have a presence. I think we should be thankful and proud that many of us individual artists got a chance to show what they can do did.

I think overall the showreel among other things proved that LW artists are diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippsy View Post
    Ya if I saw robotchan as the main promo I wouldn't have looked into Lightwave.
    Personally, I thought the winner would've been more like a 5th place or lower, with such a primitive robot used. The rest of the set was cool...just would've demonstrated more craft with a better model...humanoid robot, IMHO. That robot (not the rest of the scene) looked like something a first year student would submit in their 2nd or 3rd week. This is what Larry (SplineGod), Stooch and others have been talking about when stating that Newtek has not been putting their best material on display.
    ROBOTOCHAN was good in the criteria of "kiddie" artwork (and I don't mean in its development but its look). Its right up there with Proton's TOFU. Both great pieces but they have to know that outside of the industry and for "newbies" looking atthe marketting of Lightwave, this kinda of artwork is becoming more and more the poster child for Lightwave. It screams hobbyist more than professional tool for your latest visual fx movie. YES Lightwave had work in Iron Man but if you look at XSI, Max, Maya, Zbrush and more important Modo (former Lightwave), they do not push this type of artwork because they are trying to appeal to the big studios and those 16-28 year old demographic - all the time.
    This is what infuriates myself and MANY other LW using professionals. We all know that many LW artists can and do produce vastly better looking results. Everything has its place and time. When youre trying to SELL LW to people unfamiliar with it you MUST put your best foot forward. We know this applies to demo reels when were trying to sell ourselves. We dont show anything that will make ourselves look weak yet Newtek does this all the time. Why even bother to spend the money to have a siggraph booth just to make yourself look weak and amateurish?
    I dont care if you have people up there with our without professional experience....you dont show things that give your software a bad impression. I know from firsthand experience the opinions others have drawn from seeing all this cartoony stuff or DAVE school reels being shown and its not good. I didnt go by Newteks booth this year for the first time in many many years because I already knew what they would be doing. Ive already convinced the last two studios Ive worked for to go with LW and I definately didnt want to make my current employer question his decision to go with LW by seeing the same old lame demos.
    To further top things off for me my wife has a friend whos husband is also a 3d artist who uses Max. He was sent to siggraph by a studio he works at here in LA to take a look at what other 3d apps they might use in their pipeline etc.
    This is what she had to say:
    "Decided to hit Siggraph 2008 today with A. He's all geeky when it comes to nerd expos. We stopped by one of the bigger booths on the floor, Newtek Inc who make a 3D software. We sat in the back for a while watching a guy demo. Looked like Dr. Suess crap. He didn't tell me anything of substinance and to be quite honest, we walked away unsold on that particular software based on what he was showing. Needless to say, when we sat down in the audience we were around 40 strong, by the time his show was over there were around 6 of us.
    What was awesome was Sony giving away PSP Lites by dropping your business card into a bowl. They gave away 12 in the 2 hours we were there.
    I did not win one."
    Needless to say he walked out of the show with 4 seats of C4D.

Well we certainly let ourselves down, either way its almost atrocious that in 2008, Lightwave is still caring the simple animation card and proudly I might add. Cheaper and more specific software like Silo and Wing don't even market themselves like Newtek does.
    Its really not that hard...go with what kick *** and the money shot...ITS WHY ITS CALLED THE MONEY SHOT and I would 2nd Place winner was the money shot but I can understand why it didn't get the no.1 slot but had thy had a high definition of that one... ppl walking by would have said..."hold up whats this".

The problem I see here is that not enough pros have the time to participate in a contest like this. Having, lets say, 2-4 hours per week to put into a production and the deadline is one month away, you will not be able to produce good enough results.

If NT announce a Sig 2009 competition today, with the deadline one month ahead of Sig 2009, I belive we will see some really awesome and jawdropping work being done because so many more will be able to participate, even if they only can put 2-4 hours/week into a project.

Another cool thing would be to have some kind of collaboration with other artists. Somewhat like Big Buck Bunny. I believe that a team of 12-20 artist focusing on their respective key strengths could produce some really kick *** stuff with LightWave.

NT... what do you say?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Do not Write In This Area
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    The problem I see here is that not enough pros have the time to participate in a contest like this.
    A lot of pros also aren't interested in giving someone full, endless and irrevokable use rights just by submitting.
    Cory

Custom built 3930K OC'd to 4.25GHz. 64GB ram. SSD system and cache drives. EVGA 680 GTX 4GB video.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryC View Post
    A lot of pros also aren't interested in giving someone full, endless and irrevokable use rights just by submitting.
    YESSS. Cash. Or let me know that you are going to plaster it all over with a credit that cites me, I can benefit from that too.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    The problem I see here is that not enough pros have the time to participate in a contest like this. Having, lets say, 2-4 hours per week to put into a production and the deadline is one month away, you will not be able to produce good enough results.

If NT announce a Sig 2009 competition today, with the deadline one month ahead of Sig 2009, I belive we will see some really awesome and jawdropping work being done because so many more will be able to participate, even if they only can put 2-4 hours/week into a project.

Another cool thing would be to have some kind of collaboration with other artists. Somewhat like Big Buck Bunny. I believe that a team of 12-20 artist focusing on their respective key strengths could produce some really kick *** stuff with LightWave.

NT... what do you say?
    I point back to my post. Those who hate on Lightwave will just comment that people had a whole year to turn out something cool. I would hope however that the vast majority would just say, "Wow, you did that with Lightwave?"

Does it really matter if Newtek sponsored a contest now for next year? What if everyone just started on something as if there were a contest for next year? Then if Newtek announces something, you could have something ready to submit. Just keep in mind the idea is to do it all with native Lightwave (perhaps a free plug in or two.)

Even if there was no contest, (because look how huge the turnout and participation was, and just how grateful the user base seems to be) people who work for a year on a project will at least walk away with a great reel item.

And to the poster who commented about Newtek using their works...so what? Does it somehow tarnish your reputation to have your work showcased at conventions like NAB and SIGGRAPH? Did they pay? No. Do you think it would be easier to get your stuff displayed in the SIGGRAPH gallery competing for space and attention with artists from every 3d package instead of just competing against other LW users? You think there is no benfit from that? The upside could be life changing. I think the perspective of getting paid for something like this is a bit narrow. A showcase of your work in an environment such as this can open doors of opportunity and recognition. Entering your work into a competition is the price of the lottery. Maybe you win, maybe you don't. The difference in this case is your skill can make your luck.

The tone of these post contest threads is really coming across as pretty bitter borderline bitchy.

I think anyone who didn't bother to enter, needs to put a sock in it. Seriously, it is painfully easy to be a critic. Put up or shut up.

Congrats to the winners.

IF Newtek did another contest where

1. You don't have to turn over the content
    2. Use of compositing app
    3. MDD animation/thirdparty commerical plug-in applicable
    4. 4-5 month deadline
    5. Add some type of prize outside of their software (ie: piece of hardware, Zbrush, 3DCoat, etc)
    6.Maybe even say their artwork would grace the cover box or something..I dunno
    7. Make it collaborative

I believe the turnout will be even better.

8. Offer free Doughnuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippsy View Post
    8. Offer free Doughnuts!!
    Doh!!! Now you got me thinking about DOUGHNUTS! Man, now I'm going to gain weight on the next long render for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    I point back to my post. Those who hate on Lightwave will just comment that people had a whole year to turn out something cool. I would hope however that the vast majority would just say, "Wow, you did that with Lightwave?"
    Not even "haters" are blind to facts I hope...

Unemployed people have a year, but you can do the math yourself to see how much 2-4 hours/week generates in a whole year. The only time I can be really productive is on weekends because I work 9 hours/day at Massive. And at weekends I usually spend alot of time with my drums.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Does it really matter if Newtek sponsored a contest now for next year? What if everyone just started on something as if there were a contest for next year? Then if Newtek announces something, you could have something ready to submit. Just keep in mind the idea is to do it all with native Lightwave (perhaps a free plug in or two.)
    Well, the rules for the competition are important, it seems. So, lets say I do a really cool animation and render that reminds everyone about Pixar quality, and the rules end up being about photoreal creature animation. What do I do then? Sure, I've got a cool thing for my demoreel, but the contest I originaly wanted to participate in, does no longer apply.

Even if there was no contest, (because look how huge the turnout and participation was, and just how grateful the user base seems to be) people who work for a year on a project will at least walk away with a great reel item.
    Well, the number of contestants is very limited by the timeframe because so many are working fulltime with CG and can't put that many hours/week into a project that you never will get any money for. But I do agree; if you start today with something that you hope could end up in a contest by NT next Siggraph will look very good indeed.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    5. Add some type of prize outside of their software (ie: piece of hardware, Zbrush, 3DCoat, etc)
    Good point!

I already got LW (obviously) so if NT have a prize that includes any of their products, the one getting that price should be able to choose.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

I disagree about money and other products especially hardware.

The thing this contest is supposed to be is to promote what can be done in LightWave and it should be relatively inexpensive for the host. Therefore I think a free copy of the software is appropriate. If there is a cash prize or another software, where is that money going to come from?

Us.

As it is we will be paying more for LW. In view of the point upgrade factor the first place prize is worth several grand I'd say and with no outlay on the part of NewTek.

I am in favor of things that keep the cost down and the rewards high. A free copy of LightWave is transferable for cash if you want to sell. I myself own another copy I will be upgrading. That would cost me 400 right there.

It is easy to forget how much money it costs to do promotion and all the little things behind a contest, let alone running a small company and continuing to develop a software package. That money has to come from someplace and in the end it is us who pay.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast