Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LIGHTWAVE CONTEST and "THAT" STIGMA

Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    I know most folks are not upset that he won so I think you are kool with giving him his congratulations.
    Yeah I think that is true over all.

But even if they weren't anyone is cool with giving congrats, because, he won!

Thanks m/ Cage,

Ouch, I see. Yes, well it's the polite thing to do, to congratulate the winner of a given contest since that's all they're about really.

Just would have thought though...

m
    Last edited by meshpig; 08-16-2008 at 05:28 AM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    I just wanna say that Im not entirely sure where this whole, top 10 photo real FX work, is the best, or only, or whatever work that should be shown off... like photoreal VFX is somehow the be all and end all.

IMHO... cartoony, or simple works are just as valid (hell not so long ago, folks were crying "why doesnt NT show off something that looks as good as big buck bunny").

Irrespective of whether its cartoon, VFX, photorealism, arch-viz, medical viz, etc.... what NT and LW needs to demonstrate is work that comes in the top level of its respective genre...

The aim should not be to show "what LW can do"... it should be to show something that leaves viewers clueless as to what app it was created with... is it maya is it max... who knows... but it looks GREAT... oh wahts that... done in LW u say... alright... i'll take a few seats.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Well, this years entrants aside, I'd love to see the film quality graphics being submitted. In Newtek's defense, it is hard to keep people motivated on projects for long periods of time.

Even if OMFG graphics were shown, LightWave detractors would just come back with, "Yeah?, but how long did it take you?"

I think the initial post hit a strong point with, if Newtek could market the competition as offer to showcase artist work prominently at Siggraph, I think there would have been an unprecedented turn out for the competition.

I say, you have a year guys, get to it! Start working now on that showcase piece for next year. I think it is important to remember that even if your piece doesn't win, you will still wind up with a really good portfolio piece.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Considering cartoony accounts for a huge TV market - I don't see a problem with it at all.

I think there is an ingrained perception that things have to be feature film quality and photo-real to be "cool / good". What I think is, that given time, if Newtek could put together a reel of work done by one-man bands / hobbyists and studios, it would show the "get it done" side of the software.
    Give the folk enough time to really fine-tune things and then show that no matter where you are, from start to finish, LW can produce the results.

As to the winner, personally speaking, yes, not my favourite of the challenge, but at least he had a go.
    Given the timescale involved, I am not sure I could of even got that done so I'm not really in a position to be playing down his work.

We can all sit back and say what should of been done, but unless we are out there giving the choice of material, well, it's kinda like shouting at the TV when your favourite sport is on.
    Too old to die young.

It is a ingrained pereception that stylized/photoreal/xbox-ps3 stuff is what pushes the toolset-renderengine-tech. Could it be wrong? Sure but it just as sure it s the majority thought/bias as well.

TOFU is an excellent piece for that "kiddie/toy" genre but its always flashed on Lightwave doorstep where others who try to consider Lightwave roll their eyes when considering Zbrush-andtheotherapp pipeline. Lightwave has no problem pushing the TOFU's/kiddie/batman lego/?/?
    motif, they practically own it so there is no need to keep pushing it.

Modo has a Cartoon Kid tutorial but most folks consider Modo as a sleek model-render machine when considering an application.
    Last edited by Julez4001; 08-16-2008 at 10:11 AM.

As a current 3D user and a always a potential buyer of new software, I can tell you the main thing I look at when I'm looking to buy software. What can it do? Keep in mind, I've always been in the mind that the artist is more important then the software, but at the same time, I want to know the software is engineered to do what I need it to do. Looking at Newtek marketing nowadays, I don't think had I never used it that I ever would have.

Do not Write In This Area
    Keep in mind they can't always get the rights to show some of the work that would be good for marketing. For the competition, generally they aren't going to get cream of the crop work with the rights release requirements they have. I don't think you'll ever see a huge turn out, at least not of top 3d artists.
    Cory

Custom built 3930K OC'd to 4.25GHz. 64GB ram. SSD system and cache drives. EVGA 680 GTX 4GB video.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Looking at Newtek marketing nowadays, I don't think had I never used it that I ever would have.
    NewTek marketing aside, if you knew what VFX-movies had good looking shots done in LW, or, in some cases, the whole movie is based on LW for the VFX, would you still not be curious?

I mean, we are talking about a software that's very cheap compared to the competition but still manages to make some splashes in highend VFX work.

I would certanly be curious! (I am curious about Blender and I'm trying to keep up with its news).
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    As a current 3D user and a always a potential buyer of new software, I can tell you the main thing I look at when I'm looking to buy software. What can it do? Keep in mind, I've always been in the mind that the artist is more important then the software, but at the same time, I want to know the software is engineered to do what I need it to do. Looking at Newtek marketing nowadays, I don't think had I never used it that I ever would have.
    I can't agree with that. I am not sure what you are looking at these days but I see plenty of stuff from major Hollywood blockbuster films in the credits for LW. 300 was the big thing for months right there on the LW front page. A while before that it was Sin City. Those are two very well received films artistically and critically. It is no secret that LW is not at the top of the heap as far as animation.

This contest was for us. And it was for NT. It is not the end all be all of NT marketing. It was a great thing. It was good to answer the call and it was cool that we had the entries.

If there is anyone to blame for the content it is us. Certainly not NT who spent the money so we could be showcased.

Honestly, I don't take much stock into this software or that software being used for any particular movies or film. Usually there is very little to suggest how much or how little the software was actually used in the making of a movie. Further, my main interest is in character animation so the fact that I know that Lightwave was used for modeling or even rendering in any particular project doesn't really do much for me.
    Not only that, but I dont' work in the industry, so I'm not looking at what a studio with resources and highly specialized VFX artists can do with the software. I want to see what talented artists can do on their own because that's the angle that I look at it from. So I look through the forums and I go through the galleries and yes, I watch the demos from tradeshows such as Siggraph and peoples individual demo reels. So when I see Lightwave pushing a primitive robot with less then good animation as a winner of all the work submitted by individual artists, it doesn't really give the warm and fuzzies about Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryC View Post
    Keep in mind they can't always get the rights to show some of the work that would be good for marketing.
    Other software companies don't seem to be suffering this same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    It is not the end all be all of NT marketing. It was a great thing. It was good to answer the call and it was cool that we had the entries.
    So when will we see the end all, be all of Lightwave marekting? Shouldn't we see it at Siggraph, possibly the most visible platform of the year for a software company to make a splash?

Surrealist, you are correct. The contest was a great thing and I hope they continue it in the future. However, I don't think it was wise that a month before Siggraph, they decided they needed some marketing material to use at the show. If they really want something good to show, why dont' they start a little earlier next year, give people at least 3 or 4 months to come up with something that will actually impress people who have never used Lightwave. Let them use other software because Newtek would be foolish IMHO to think that Lightwave can be the one man band to high end work for everyone. They should focus on their strengths and show how Lightwave can fit into a pipeline of other software. Focus on making Lightwave work better with programs such as Zbrush which has consumed this industry. Pushing Lightwave as in all the power you need out of one box is a dead end.

I totally agree with hriger! I am exactly the same way the contest was good etc. and its over but...
    Ya if I saw robotchan as the main promo I wouldn't have looked into Lightwave. I mean sure like Surrealist said its been used in movies etc. but I don't want to go digging through a whole bunch of sites trying to find exactly what it was used for on their film and how they used other programs for rendering and modeling etc. I want to see pure Lightwave work that is good from an individual that I can say, Look that guys only a little older than me free lancing and doing amazing work oh what program is he using.....

(but i get that the 300 thing is on there page and the list of movies etc. but how much and what of Lightwave was used in them etc. Plus they have millions of dollars for all types of different software, unfortunately I don't)

I thought the contest was to show what can be done in such a limited amount of time, by very few people using ONLY Lightwave.

How many people and how long did it take them for Big Buck Bunny?
    I counted about 13 people and took around 7 months.

True, the contest could have used more time if you wanted to see a higher level of production value.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast