Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 167

Thread: Some after thoughts

  1. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dommo View Post
    Hey people.

    However, after my initial gutted feelings and actual attacks from certain people, I have to say THANK YOU. I'm 28 now, and I have had many naysayers over the last 15 years of my life, telling me I can't do this, or won't achieve that. I've proved them all wrong. So, THANK YOU to all you negative people. I have recomposed myself, and now I'm going to move forward. You naysayers give me drive, drive to prove you all wrong. I vow to you, here and now, that I'll keep improving and I won't stop still. Over time you might see more of my work on these forums, and I hope that each time you will look and admit that I have gotten better.

    Peace out.
    Dom
    As we say in Atlanta, "let your haters be your motivators."

    Still as i said in our pm, thisis more pointed to newtek than you but it is a hell of a collateral damage going on....


    CONGRATS again....

  2. #152
    Registered User Tippsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walla Walla
    Posts
    209
    I dont think even I could be that nice to everything that has been said here! Somebodys gotta be the tough guy who can take it and dish it out to! Lol

    great work!

  3. #153
    Well said Dom. Great display of your character. You should be proud.

  4. #154
    Registered User AbnRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside CA
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Peabody01 View Post
    Yup you're right, that is hurtful.

    AbnRanger... you're sore!
    Who are you to talk...you took a shot at my reel, and you still haven't shown us your own? What's up with the hypocricy, Bub?

  5. #155
    Registered User AbnRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside CA
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by We-Co View Post
    Excatly, just like I said before I think you got your point across, now you're just being mean.
    I said that I was bowing out, much earlier...yet you guys kept taking shots at me. If somebody says they give in, why do you keep swinging?

    And, for what it's worth, I said early on that I thought the rest of the winning entry was pretty cool, but the robot MODEL brought it down. My point was that the other entries were VERY professional throughout. I'll leave it at that
    Last edited by AbnRanger; 08-17-2008 at 09:15 PM.

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by AbnRanger View Post
    I said that I was bowing out, much earlier...yet you guys kept taking shots at me. If somebody says they give in, why do you keep swinging?
    Nobody. Not one person took a single shot at you directly after you bowed out. There were two comments made about what was shared by more than one person here.

    Your very next post was to quote me. I had nothing to say to you directly. If I had something to say to you directly I would have. I was merely commenting on the general scene and what happened in sort of a summary statement. It was my opinion about the whole scene and it never occurred to me that you were that big of a part of it but mainly a contributor. If you took that as a personal jab, my apology. Not intended.

    And, for what it's worth, I said early on that I thought the rest of the winning entry was pretty cool, but the robot MODEL brought it down. My point was that the other entries were VERY professional throughout. I'll leave it at that
    And finally we should leave it exactly at that.

  7. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dommo View Post
    Hey people.
    As far as I can tell, the Robotochan did not break any of the rules of the contest. I worked hard to work within the boundaries given. When the deadline was extended, I did not add extra scenes. And the two key scenes missing from my piece were the ones which answered the "Model" and "Animate" sections. The dance section was just the "Render" part. [/B]
    I don't think anyone is saying that Robotochan broke the rules. Weekend Factory does break the rules. Someone time it at 2.5 minutes. the 1st, 2nd and 4th place winners reels all conform to the 15 second time rule. Weekend factory does not conform to that, and as far as everyone knows, no waiver was implied by NewTek, nor can anyone find any fine print that states of a waiver system for this contest. That is where NewTek can be held accountable for contest fraud. That and the fact that the prize's have a dollar amount of greater than $10.00.

    The basic complaint here is NewTek screwed up and ran a poor contest. If NewTek is allowing winners to have almost 3 minute entries than reasonable conduct states "all contestants should be allowed the same amount of time for fairness." the fact that three out of the four won on 15 sec reels is moot. NewTek did not have a stated waiver system in place at the being of the contest. NewTek is a U.S. based company and has to comply with US law governing contest.

  8. #158
    I was just looking at the reel again.

    What a great job! Everybody. Really. It runs the gamut from Dommo's very cool and very well done and fun-looking robot animation - perfectly fit for what it is! And a great tribute to him as a artist to actually think through what he could do with the skills he had to make something that would be appropriate to what he was trying to accomplish rather than something that seemed to be lacking because it was beyond his means. That in itself was brilliant and deserving of a first prize to this contest alone.

    Then on to corporate logo stuff, to other commercial type work, that cool robot fighter sequence, Black Snow the mountain helli's, the pinball, Frozen, all of it. I mean I am genuinely proud of what was done.

    It really does show how diverse this group is.

    I predict that next near the competition will be even stiffer.

    So y'all sharpen your pencils and get down to work. Be ready!

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by AbnRanger View Post
    Who are you to talk...you took a shot at my reel, and you still haven't shown us your own? What's up with the hypocricy, Bub?
    We can throw insults back and forth all day and night, but it ain't gonna get anyone anywhere.

    AbnRanger - my last comment to you, before it's left at that. You just showed you can dish it out, but you can't take it back. I think when you are going to have a go about someones work, when they have worked hard, you are only opening yourself up for critism too. That's whats happened.

    Take a bow, shows over.

  10. #160
    I just wanted to make a quick response to Dommos monster post. Especially the portion which you voice your disappointment over the overall notion of the reputation of the Lightwave community and your present perception of it due to some of the responses here to your work and this contest. I don't like this idea that the Lightwave community is so great because we're filled with a bunch of kiss-asses. I have posted a lot of work here on the boards and everytime, I expect a few people to tell me how much it blows and how I need to work on this or that. Some people post here and they're solely fishing for compliments and praise and when they don't get it, they accuse people of being negative and derogatory. Obviously some people deliver criticism much better but the point is still the same. If you can't handle people discussing your work, negatively or positively, you shouldn't make your work visible at all. I think for the most part, you've received as much praise for your entry as you have negative, so I think you should consider it a win in your book. But please don't cast the Lightwave community into a negative light just because some people see your work as amateurish or kid oriented. Personally, I don't like Anime so I dont' get the second entry at all. Not because it's not good (and I still have my doubts about the eligibility of that one), but just because it's not my bag so I wouldn't have a good basis to criticize it on.
    Personally, I think your robot animation was just fine. However, I didn't feel like it was a winning entry and I don't think Newtek should be touting it as such at the most visible software market in the country. From things you said in your post, you seem to be overly confident in your modeling skills. Unfortunately, I dont' think you showcased them very well with this entry. You may have worked very hard on this entry and I can appreciate that. But none of us know how much you worked on it personally so I don't see how using that as a basis for argument is relative. The people who have commented on your work directly are going solely off the finished animation, not how long you may have spent working on it or how much you ignored your mate to get it done.
    Congratulations on your win Dominic, it's a really great prize set. My only suggestion is that you learn to take criticism in the future. Ignore the pointless negatives and learn from those who are giving their honest opinion of your work, even if it doesn't please you outright.

  11. #161
    Globally Illuminated The Dommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    813
    Hey,

    Just a quicky -

    I have noticed I made a major typo in missing out a key word in description of my skills. Up there, I typed "I know I'm the fastest modeller" but of course I did in fact mean to type "I know I'm NOT the fastest modeller".

    I have no problem with criticism as such, as long as it's constructive criticism, so you can learn from it and go forward. When people appear to piss on other people, in what seems just out of spite, that is something which comes over as that criticiser (or should that be critter?!) is doing for the sheer enjoyment of it, like it makes them feel better in life if they can appear to be better than somebody else.

    As I said also, I did notice in fact that the anger was being changed in the direction of the judges - and as some people said to me, I was kinda caught in the cross fire. I also thank again the people who were positive. At the end of the day, you can't please everybody.

    The amount of work I put in was just information to those who felt I had put minimal effort in, or just 2 hours. Not an argument, just fact.

    And it was my girlfriend I ignored, not just a mate!

    Anyway, I'm cracking on now with other things - I think enough's been said on this now ...
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

    New Brace Media website

  12. #162
    Registered User AbnRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside CA
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Peabody01 View Post
    We can throw insults back and forth all day and night, but it ain't gonna get anyone anywhere.

    AbnRanger - my last comment to you, before it's left at that. You just showed you can dish it out, but you can't take it back. I think when you are going to have a go about someones work, when they have worked hard, you are only opening yourself up for critism too. That's whats happened.

    Take a bow, shows over.
    Like I said before, When you show the rest of us SOME of your own work, then you have SOME platform to criticize me about my work. As long as you keep poking your head in here, I'm going to ride you on this...you opened your mouth, now everybody's watching and waiting to see where your impressive work is...now that you put yourself on a pedestal above me. Don't sing it...BRING IT!

    I was making a comment about just one single robot (in relation to the competition...not on it's own merit)...not the guy's body of work. I said early on in the thread that I thought the rest of the scene was cool. Then, some wanker like you comes out of the woodwork to take a cheap shot at my portfolio, and try to instigate matters into a pissing contest.
    You need to just shut your yapper until you can bring some of your own work to the table!
    Last edited by AbnRanger; 08-18-2008 at 03:27 PM.

  13. #163
    I can hardly wait till the next contest!!!

  14. #164
    da what? daforum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    1,678
    When will the next contest be?

  15. #165
    Registered User AbnRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside CA
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Peabody01 View Post
    You just showed you can dish it out, but you can't take it back. I think when you are going to have a go about someones work, when they have worked hard, you are only opening yourself up for critism too. That's whats happened.

    Take a bow, shows over.
    Did I forget to mention that you also need to heed your own advice. How cowardly it is to come out of nowhere and take potshots at someone's work without likewise having something of your own that is open for critique or criticism...Kind of like saying, "My Daddy can whoop you" while clinging to his heel. What a wus!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •