Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Some after thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
    There was a contest?
    Not anymore...we tore it all to shreds.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnRanger View Post
    Not anymore...we tore it all to shreds.
    But, it lived on.
    A day that will live in infamy for NewTek, and a day of remembrence for the winner - a tale to tell one's grandchildren for one, while a subject to slowly fade into lost memory for others and.... and... what was I saying?

Well, you get the idea

Quote Originally Posted by AbnRanger View Post
    What you are forgeting here is that a 2.5 min entry has the potential to impress judges more (than its 15 sec counterparts) even if NT claims they only judged the first 15 sec.
    Yeah, Right?...and you believe that? You're telling me that they cut it off after 15 sec and refused to watch the rest.

But..... I did want to address this.

The way I understood it was that there were two versions sent in. One for the contest and one, I can only suspect was longer because it was the piece the shorter one was from. Just an idea.

Some entries included a long version of the actual entry
    And yes I believe that they did watch the 15 minute version and judged that. Of course. Why would I believe otherwise?

It would be more consistent with a lair to show the 15 minute version yet judge the longer one. Especially when the longer one is so much blatantly longer and way over the limit. I have a hard time believing that showing the longer version was something they did thinking they could fool people.

If you do, then that is your opinion of NT. Not a very high one. But an opinion none the less. Nothing based on fact or even any evidence really because you were not one of the judges and as far as I know you don't have some insider information we don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_y View Post
    Thank you for expressing your concern, I appreciate it, and hopefully by answering this post, we may be able to clear up any questions.

First off I would like to personally say not only did I enjoy watching The w.i.p. threads, I also enjoyed seeing the final animations. Some of them are simply steller, considering the very short time frame, and limited 3rd party plugin use. This really shows the true power of what can be done with LightWave in a tight deadline situation.

The contest was essentially to add some interactivity to the user forums, generate some future content and to show off what can be done in a tight deadline.

I would like to take a second to explain exactly how the judging was done. I don't think it really needs to be justified, as the judges decisions are final. However, personally, I believe that it would be important for some to understand the process.

The judging was based off of the following criteria:
    Originality / Creativity - 50%
    Cinematography / Direction - 35%
    Quality of assets - 15%

We basically wanted to see originality over quality of assets for this particular contest. The reason for this, as stated, was the possibility to include such files in the future as content, and we cannot, unfortunately, risk the chance of copyright infringement.

Each item was based on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being best). The video clips were looped and the judges scored it based on each instance of the criteria. Once they scored based on "Originality / Creativity", they then moved on to score it based on "Cinematography / Direction" .. then on to quality of assets. Once this process was complete, the numbers were added and checked by several other people to ensure they were correct. This is how we arrived at the final 4.

I can say, it was real close between several of the entries towards the end.

Along the way, there were some questions as to weather some things were created in LightWave or not. We anticipated this, and as such, had asked the author to email the files so we may take a peek. An example would be the 4th runner up, titled "Black Snow" - The assets were received and checked to be consistent.

Some entries included a long version of the actual entry, Some included the content WITH the entry, and some submitted multiple entries. It was really interesting to see all the entries come in and what people are doing with LightWave and how they achieve certain things using the base package.

Off the record, I will say there were some outstanding entries, and I have my personal favorites, that, unfortunately did not make it. This doesn't mean they are no good. On the contrary, it just simply means that based on the criteria to judge by, some fit the bill well.

I hope that helps clear things up for anyone reading this.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 08-16-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Car analogy ahead!

You know, even stock cars don't race what you get off the showroom floor. Allow third party plug-ins, and premium gas.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by frantbk View Post
    Why is it bad taste to complain about the winners not following the rules? NewTek is the problem here not the winners of the contest. NewTek set down standards for a contest then gave the winning prize to people that didn't meet that standard. The people that followed the rules of the contest got screwed.
    I agree completely. It's not the winners' fault, but the staff that sat in judgement. There seems to be a disconnect between LW and its customers and this just seems to add to that argument.
    I guess everyone will be a little more cautious when LW10 is calling for submissions.
    That said, I liked all the entries for what they were. Were they showreel quality? I guess not all were but I enjoyed them all nonetheless.

Again no evidence of any of that. So the point is completely moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Again no evidence of any of that. So the point is completely moot.
    I have a bridge you may be interested in for a low, low price.

Second time somebody has said that.

Boy, if you are that paranoid and suspicious and you want to turn this into some kind of "contest conspiracy" go a head, make a scene.

EDIT: and I can see the NT team now wringing their hands together, "Oh boy and then we'll show the 2.5 minute entry and nobody will suspect a thing.. hahhahahahahahhahah.... and about that composited entry..... they'll be none the wiser.... such fools.....hahahahahahah.. Then we vcan get into the brige real estate market.... yeah.......
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 08-16-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Second time somebody has said that.

Boy, if you are that paranoid and suspicious and you want to turn this into some kind of "contest conspiracy" go a head, make a scene.

EDIT: and I can see the NT team now wringing their hands together, "Oh boy and then we'll show the 2.5 minute entry and nobody will suspect a thing.. hahhahahahahahhahah.... and about that composited entry..... they'll be none the wiser.... such fools.....hahahahahahah.. Then we vcan get into the brige real estate market.... yeah.......
    I can imagine the scene, all dressed up like Rocky Horror Picture Show...

shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

I'm not paranoid or suspicious but I think a business has to be careful how it runs its operations. I guess we disagree on that point.

Well, I don't know if we disagree on that. I think they should. I think it was ill advised to show a longer version of he entry and not expect some flak. But once they did and then explained it, it was good enough for me. And that was all the way back on page one of the thread. Yet, still, how many pages later we are still having people bring this up as if it is a fact which there is no real evidence of. And when you consider that this ignited a flaming match of the artistic merits of the films I consider it blatantly irresponsible to perpetuate it with a sort of amnesia to what has gone before and a continued lack of respect for the entrants of the contest as well as NewTek when as far as we can tell, still there is no evidence of actual foul play on the part of anyone. Contrary to some popular belief trust goes a lot farther than suspicion. In fact the US justice system is supposed to be built around that very truth and a person is innocent until proven guilty. The behavior of people on this thread should give you all the evidence you need to support the fact that as a society we have not outgrown the need for such a precaution built into the laws to protect the innocent. If left to peoples opinions and emotions and feelings regarding given subjects and circumstances, we'd have, well, the dark ages again. I thought we were supposed to be evolved past the stage of witch hunts. But apparently we have not.

It is quite a tribute to NewTeks tolerance of people's opinions of them to even allow this thread to continue.

Shrox - very funny.

Wayyyyyyy to deep for me!!!

I'm bowing out of the post-show slamfest. To all the contestants who busted their bum on this, bang-up job guys...even if your work seemed to go unrewarded. Really impressive, especially considering the short deadline.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    If nought else, all this backlash against the contest would make me think twice about submitting for one in future, if a piece of my work was selected then the decision tore into as it has been here, I'd be, at best, gutted.

Sometimes, people can look to long at something and start to see patterns where there are none. I don't think any of these "after-thoughts" have helped anything or anyone.
    Too old to die young.

Cheers to that. Imagine one minute you won. Your animation is at Siggy full screen you have a small interview on the front page of NT website along with your winning entry. You have no idea why you won, your just a newbie but you stayed up late and kept at it just like every one else with some bit of hope but are happy with your submission for what it is. And so you are so happy you can not sleep. Life is good. Within a few hours you check into the website see that there is this full fledged flame war against your work, people saying all this stuff about it. Instantly you go from on top of the world down to a knot in your stomach wondering what hit you.

A shame really. Would be one thing if this was the broad theater of life and it was the critics flaming you. But your own group of artists in the community. Like all of the actors getting together at an after party of the Academy Awards and stringing up the guy who won best actor. What kind of group would you consider that?

The upside is, if you look at this as a microcosm of larger things, this is a good sign. Show me one person with a large amount of success that does not have his detractors and is not continually panned in the press. Seems the bigger the success the harder they like to see e'm fall. I'd say this kid has a bright future.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast