Thread: Is VUE worth it???

Is VUE worth it???

I've read allot on this forum and was wondering if VUE is worth the thousand bucks that they charge. The description of my computer specs are at the bottom so that's what I have to work with. I have Vue 5 Infinite and have found that even on my older G5 Quad, the render time for anything decent was almost impractical. Now that I have a Mac Pro, it's using rosetta. Vue 7 I hear is coming out later this year but was wondering, if I don't have a render farm, and since I'm very keen on realism, is VUE still not render friendly enough to cough up allot of money for? That's what I love about LW, the render time is really important to their development unlike EON. I hear by most people that they can't make any real looking scenes due to render issues.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    If you are doing a lot of landscapes, Vue is a good choice. It integrates with LW well, as far as importing LW objects for final rendering, and it's pretty easy to use. As far as rendering times go, I've found that if you render to file, rather than the screen, you'll be better off. Not sure how your mac will handle it, but it renders at a decent pace on my 64-bit Vista box.

for me it was a fun program to explore, but I found the workflow too convoluted once I wanted more control (ie, textures, ecosystem,...)

I never upgraded because once the novelty wore off I never looked at it again, I didn't even consider it for my projects.

just maybe I 'm too spoilt by Lightwave and the speed I can get things done in LW.
    www.bytehawk.net

1 : Imac 27’ I7 mid 2017 8Gb ram

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I keep going back to LW and really haven't done anything with VUE 5
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

Sure it's worth it, just be prepared to spend lots of time wrangling it into submission. The results at the end of all your troubles are spectacular though. Also be prepared to need lots of computing power if you plan on doing animations.

It is hands down the best program for doing landscapes.
    If you only model people or furniture, obviously you do not need it, but if you do architecture or nature scenes, it is imperative.
    :lwicon: [B]Adam A. Dailide[/B]
    [email][email protected][/email]
    [url]www.studio-render.com[/url]

there is also a version 7 due to come out soon according to eon, so wait a little to see the improvements, and you'll get an idea of where the development is headed...
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    The trick to render times is to use 'custom' render settings, rather than the big dumb buttons that tuurn features on or off in blocks.

For example, you might have 10 billion polygons of vegetation. If you turn off 'indirect lighting on plants' but have otherwise high quality type settings, render times come down a LOT.
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

FYI...the upgrade from Vue 5 to Vue 6 is now 50% off.

At 299, it's starting to become worth it even if you're just playing around.

But...since they did this, I'm thinking 7's right around the corner.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

Newbie Member
    The upgrade from 5 infinite to 6.5 infinite is $269.99 @ safeharbor. This upgrade was not on their website but the part number is EONN0300018