Thread: Quad Core

Newbie Member

Quad Core

Can lightwave 8.5 take advantage of a Quad Core processor?

One certain answer is that it does during rendering if you do multithread rendering.

even 7.5 takes advantage of multicore cpu's on rendering if you invoke more than 1 thread..ususally a thread per core or cpu if yu have multi cpu's with only 1 core in each [old cpu's]
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Newbie Member

Quad Cord

Thanks!

hopefully, you can make it to LW 9.3.1 soon. I could not imagine still being stuck with 8.5, to each his own.
    Woo Woo, back on the Turnip Truck!!

well on our venus rises production we're sticking with 7.5 for a few of our space scenes as 1 of our artists is still on 7.5...can't say we''re took troubled being on 7.5 for this actually.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I recieved a rude awakening when i thought all things multi core would make the world a better place. Working on a 3.2ghz cpu seemed slow so i moved the project to a quad core olny to find that multi thread works if the task is threaded correctly! A Q6600 at 2.4ghz per core does nothing if the program doesn't use it. If anything it makes it slower.

Multi cores are not all that their cracked up to be. Motto, don't believe the hype!
    Win7 64Bit
    Packard Bell IPowerX G5800
    i7 860
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 460

Quote Originally Posted by Talc View Post
    I recieved a rude awakening when i thought all things multi core would make the world a better place. Working on a 3.2ghz cpu seemed slow so i moved the project to a quad core olny to find that multi thread works if the task is threaded correctly! A Q6600 at 2.4ghz per core does nothing if the program doesn't use it. If anything it makes it slower.

Multi cores are not all that their cracked up to be. Motto, don't believe the hype!
    What exactly are you talking about here? If you saw no performance gain in rendering from a quad core, something must have been wrong.

It will not be faster on the interactive program use, the 3.2 would be better for that, maybe, 3.2 what?

quadcore all the way...!...or 8 core!
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Yeah sorry, more cores = quicker render times but some of the UI feed back stuff like particals or CA deformations i've not seen a benefit. Hopefully all to be sorted in 9.5 fingers crossed
    Win7 64Bit
    Packard Bell IPowerX G5800
    i7 860
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 460

I'm just a wanna be.
    I don't think the UI will be sorted for multithreading in 9.5. However, a nice thing you can do is change which Core handles layout and which handles Modeler, which does do some speeding up. But over all, unless you have a lot in there, it isn't like LW sees much of a slowdown to begin with.
    -AMD Phenom 9600 BE, 8gb OCZ Platinum DDR2-800, Sapphire HD3870x2, Lanparty UT 790FX-M2R...
    What more could one possibly want?

Displaying particles within Layout is a GPU task, not a CPU task. So you'd need to get a higher-end graphics card to see changes there. Like rotating a model within the viewport, that's not what the CPU handles.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    Displaying particles within Layout is a GPU task, not a CPU task. So you'd need to get a higher-end graphics card to see changes there. Like rotating a model within the viewport, that's not what the CPU handles.
    But all of these are only true for the current frame. As soon as you change frames, the CPU updates the particles (and mesh deformations if needed).

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    But all of these are only true for the current frame. As soon as you change frames, the CPU updates the particles (and mesh deformations if needed).

Cheers,
    Mike
    Exactly. The slowdown you are seeing, BigHache is a CPU limit, not GPU.

5.0 GHz 8 core. Nothing less.