Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Giving up smoking...!

Quote Originally Posted by TripD View Post
    In the past 5 years, I've had a half dozen friends die of lung troubles. They all smoked. My experience with tobacco was with snuff. I chewed Copenhagen many years ago while logging. quit once... then years later started again while in a bar. Let me just say that it was MUCH tougher to quit the second time and chewing has got to be the grossest habit known to man! Even with the support of grossed out friends I had a hard go of it.

I would only say that if it's hard to quit..... QUIT!
    Freakin chewing... I was on a long haul bus trip many years ago with some dude in the seat behind me making the most disgusting noises.

I didn't know what it was so I leaned over the seat and politely enquired... Ugh, blurk! WTF?

- Once it was fashionable to smoke, now it's not; I mean once the smoking thing has been vanquished it's... NEXT! Onto another social ill. The trouble is
    the same problem is destined to return in another form over and over.

m

My Tip for quitting,
    give up something else at the same time, Chocolate, crisps, something nice (i gave up sugar in coffee)
    Then when the tobacco crave hits, instead of reaching for the smoke reach for the chocolate instead!
    If your brain is as weak as mine, you can quite quickly convince it that it is the chocolate it craves not the smoke.

Ha ha stoopid brain!!

Quote Originally Posted by blindsided View Post
    My Tip for quitting,
    give up something else at the same time, Chocolate, crisps, something nice (i gave up sugar in coffee)
    Then when the tobacco crave hits, instead of reaching for the smoke reach for the chocolate instead!
    If your brain is as weak as mine, you can quite quickly convince it that it is the chocolate it craves not the smoke.

Ha ha stoopid brain!!
    Too true though, the brain is just saying OK, like that do it. Chocolate on the other hand is much wiser and more crafty.

It isn't hard to sop the brain with water either, just that it rebels with some other more reasonable excuse.

Damn thing, "cast it aside for thy offendeth me".

m

quitting

If you think quitting smoking is tuff, try quitting Lung Cancer, or Emphysema.
    Good Luck

The best way to stop smoking can be summed up in 3 easy steps. Stop, Drop, and Roll.

I think the whole thing is funny. I'm a smoker, I've been so for a while now I think at least a decade. I started smoking by accident. I'm not a big smoker, maby a pack every other day. I smoke the cheapest non filters that I can find. I figure there is no such thing as Cancer light so why filter the experience. I probably would have quit on my own a long time ago if not for one thing. Nonsmokers. Their nonstop, babble about all the reasons for not smoking, all the studies and supposed facts and figures that all add up to a hill of sheit. Because when it comes down to it, There are a lot of things that we know, but even more things that we pretend to know because somebody made a study of it. So I smoke because I want to. Call it an addiction. That's fine. I happen to be addicted to a lot of things, like eating, breathing, water. There is only a problem with an addiction and that is when its in excess. In other words, too much of anything is always a bad thing.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

I've smoked for quite some time now, but have never felt the need to suck down a pack in a day. I might go through a pack in a week or so - sometimes even two weeks. Most people don't consider that to qualify as a "smoker", but the health insurance folks sure do. I think I'm what you would consider to be a "polite" smoker. I never smoke around the kids, in the house, or even on the porch at a friends if they don't smoke. I simply wait for some other time - usually in my own car (which I Febreeze regularly and keep spotless).

I don't remember when I started either. I think it was sneaking my grandfathers cigarettes when I was a kid. Quite a buzz it was.

It's not the nicotine that kills you, it's all the CRAP they put in them - including the filters and papers. My grandfather died when he was 88 years old. He had been smoking since he was 14, but he smoked straight tobacco and rolled his own with papers that didn't contain salt-peter (which makes the cigarette burn slow). He had absolutely no lung or heart disease. He rarely even coughed.

And as for people blowing smoke in your face... yeah, I'd spray 'em back too. That's just crap right there.

I asked my doctor once about quitting and of course he highly recommended it, but he also told me that having one or even two in a day was really no worse health-wise than living in a big city.

I don't condone anyone smoking and there's never a good reason not to quit.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    ... Most people don't consider that to qualify as a "smoker", but the health insurance folks sure do...
    Did you know there's a health insurance company in The Netherlands that gives discount to smokers because they die earlier? No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by zapper1998 View Post

I don't smoke in the new car I bought 3 months ago....well a 2005 PT Cruiser
    Allmost new..Michael
    lol honestly. if i had to put up with driving a PT cruiser, i would start smoking again. in the hopes that my misery ends sooner. I rented one once, getting back into my acura was like an orgasm.

I succeeded thanks to disposable electronic cigarette

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffwhite View Post
    I succeeded thanks to disposable electronic cigarette
    well done!

Both my parents smoked and it was miserable as a kid listening to them cough every morning, the house going yellow, the smelly clothes.

My father had regular smoking related treatment for cancer and spent his final years tethered to an oxygen tank.

I don't smoke. I'm so glad you don't either.

If you are still puffing on an electronic cigarette, you get half-credit. Full merit will be restored if you are completely nicotine free.

Well done (again)!

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    well done!

Both my parents smoked and it was miserable as a kid listening to them cough every morning, the house going yellow, the smelly clothes.

My father had regular smoking related treatment for cancer and spent his final years tethered to an oxygen tank.

I don't smoke. I'm so glad you don't either.

If you are still puffing on an electronic cigarette, you get half-credit. Full merit will be restored if you are completely nicotine free.

Well done (again)!
    Thank you for sharing your story and warm words!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    but he also told me that having one or even two in a day was really no worse health-wise than living in a big city.

I don't condone anyone smoking and there's never a good reason not to quit.
    That assumes you live in a not so polluted area, otherwise it´s an unhealthy addon...besides, it´s easier to decide quitting, than moving from where you work or have your roots I suspect.
    Great to quite smoking, from time to time when I visit my sister ..she´s 65, and her childhood girlfriend comes and visit..it´s horrible to see the difference, my sister has good looking hair, not much wrinkles...and she doesn´t cought every other minute, and a lot more, finally she has accepted what doctors now confirmed...that she has the carbon disease, which has been obvious to us since many years, she just pushed that away with.."I got dry mucous membrane"

Anyway Congratulations on doing something about a better life for yourself, and giving yourself a better change to perhaps a little longer life.

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    I only smoked for about 2 years back in 1980, '81 due to high school peer pressure. Dumped it when one of my younger brothers tried it cuz he thought I was kinda cool. I was NOT. Now I constantly ***** at my GF for smoking.

Steve

Hah! Forum censored the "B" word. LOL
    Last edited by scallahan1; 04-05-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Laughing at censorship. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    I only smoked for about 2 years back in 1980, '81 due to high school peer pressure. Dumped it when one of my younger brothers tried it cuz he thought I was kinda cool. I was NOT. Now I constantly ***** at my GF for smoking.

Steve

Hah! Forum censored the "B" word. LOL
    Yes, censoring..be glad we don´t get a beep, or a fine presented in the style of the movie "the demolition man"

I am trying to convince my niece who now is 28, and she kind of started to smoke 3 years ago I think..that it´s just madness, she´s wasting money, she will get bad skin, bad mucous, bad lounges, bad hair, and probably cancer and the carbon disease...so..the question is..are you lucky or are you stupid, I would like to tell her, and it´s a bit weird that she doesn´t see my sisters friend now having the carbon disease, constantly coughing, looking bad in skin and she have a hard time walking regulary..and she doesn´t quit instantly.

Recalling the Inside man with Russel Crowe, and all the chemicals used to actually make the urge and dependence of cigarrettes even stronger.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345