Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Giving up smoking...!

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meshpig View Post
    Yeah, they're nearly €9 a packet here and my wife is a veritable chimney; add 3 bottles of nice wine daily and our weekly expenses for this indulgence amounts to more like €360 pw.
    Ouch... I feel soooo cheap now

That is some serious money indeed.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    The best way to stop smoking is to never start.
    Just the money you save...
    But what if the fact that you smoke led you to a situation where you made more money than you ever would have by not?

Incalculable either way as money spends itself and people who think they can buy time are just like smokers. Just a thought.

m

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Ouch... I feel soooo cheap now

0Cheers,
    Mike
    Don't, it's sort of pathetic rather than serious. Talking of addictions, what about money? The rich are just like junkies, you can never have enough and what you have is s**t anyway.

m

I've never smoked, I've been surrounded by all sorts of folk that smoked all sorts of crap, so it wasn't because I hadn't come in to contact with it, but it just never appealed to me. I can't see me ever smoking cigarettes, but I do wonder whether one day I might just get myself some big-arse chunky cigar and puff on one of those now and then, or perhaps even get myself a beautifully crafted calabash pipe to grab between my lips and try it Sherlock-style.

I wouldn't say to you meshpig that you should give up smoking, because I'm all for enjoying life's little pleasures, and because it is all those knob suckers of yesteryear that tried to get me to smoke that I have to thank for having lived a smoke-free life thus far, so I know that approach is futile if I were really concerned about whether you smoked or not, which I'm not. But I just wonder is smoking really much of a pleasure for you anymore, or is it now just more of a habit?
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Is smoking pleasurable?
    I thought the pleasure sensation came from satisfying your craving. The calming of nerves is confusing as well because it's the craving that makes you more edgy than you would be if you weren't dependant.

I read that somewhere but when you first try it, it's anything but pleasurable so I reckon that must be right.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Hey Iain, I think you answered your own question. Yes, I'm sure the pleasure of smoking will require that first you become acclimatized to it, until then you will get no pleasure from it. Smoking is addictive no doubt, but I know people who smoke only when they go for a beer, this is sometimes more than a few weeks apart, so can you say they are addicted? And if they are not where does the pleasure come from?

I can't quite see the appeal of become dependant on a forty a day habit of demon sticks, but I can understand someone who likes an occasional smoke on a tobacco of their choice, the pleasure not being solely derived from the satiating of a rabid craving.

Not everyone that smokes goes into that downward spiral, and I am not concerned with what most people do. Most people who buy a Sunday newspaper buy the News of the World, it doesn't mean that we are all in danger of becoming readers of that tripe.

But if you reckon that for most, that smoking isn't a simple occasional pleasure and one which they are fully in control of, but more the feeding of an addiction in which the actual smoking plays no part of the pleasure and is just the delivery of a fix to the addiction that the smoker would rather not have, I'd say that's right. But it's not the case for all, I know that much.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Beautifully put. Watch out for the cigars though because they're a different kettle of fish.

I guess the attraction to smoking is just as much a mystery for smokers as for non-smokers. I was a staunch opponent of it up to the age of about 14 when some neighborhood kid shoved one in my gob and said suck on this.

But so were many at the time it was first introduced in Europe hundreds of years ago and the arguments either way (minus the science of the health factor now) are more or less along the same lines today.

Habit, pleasure? What's the difference really for an intelligent animal like us. It is entirely logical to turn pleasure into habit so in a sense addiction is the
    perception of an extraneous moral advantage society uses to lever it's way into the individual, so to speak.

No, what I'd like when I give up this time is to turn the memory of smoking into a null and void object. But then, we're never going to escape or dispense with the interdependence plants have imposed on our psyche. If it isn't Willow bark and Aspirin it's whatever you care to mention.

m

Hi
    I am 25 years old and smoking for 10 years.
    In the last 4 years or so I've been smoking 2,5 packs a day and want to quit nowadays.
    It is very hard for me to stop smoking even for an half an hour.
    I'll try nicotine tapes on my skin. I hope this will give some results.

I damn the day I started and advice everybody not to start.

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Drop in the bucket:

I've found that smoking makes me sleep less well. I wake up much more tired after a night of smoking than if I don't.

I've found that it can make my mood a bit less joyful. It's relaxing at moments, and can increase my concentration and productivity late at night, but during the day I can get these waves of sadness just after smoking.

I've found that I still enjoy smoking every now and then. It doesn't need to be a constant addiction at all. You can use it like anything else: in moderation. Like chocolate, or like champagne.

I've found that not being allowed to smoke in bars, even though I liked to, is something I don't mind. At least all my clothes don't stink all over after standing in a bar for a bit.

To Iain:
    I wouldn't say so. I don't think I ever really crave a cigarette (although of course many people do). Especially in combination with alcohol it just really feels nice, soothing, relaxing, warm and mellow. The physical addiction also only lasts fro 3 days. If you make it for 3 days without smoking your body is over it. But it's mostly a mental thing. Also, the movement and having something to do with your fingers is addicitve. Just standing around on a street looks and feels stupid. Standing on a street having some cigarettes is an honest pasttime. It's really weird. Having frequent smoke breks also helps people focus and clear their thoughts, to think a little instead of just doing. Those parts are all addictive in a sense.
    Last edited by Exception; 07-17-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post

Funniest thing I saw, visiting the wife in hospital when she had an MS attack earlier this year. A guy at the main entrance, on a drip, in his robe, smoking, I mean, hello? Isn't that a big enough clue to give up?
    My mother in law had a stroke a couple of years ago, she was at the hospital with the stroke still in process and asked anyone for a cup of coffee and a cigarette.

I find many smokers to be intolerant, they think it's their right to smoke and ask non-smokers to breath all the smoke, without complain. Fortunately all my life is smoke free and most (if not all) of my friends don't smoke anymore.

I use Swedish "Snus"...

http://www.swedish-snus.com/

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Exception View Post

I've found that not being allowed to smoke in bars, even though I liked to, is something I don't mind.
    My friends who smoke say the same thing, surprisingly enough.

We are a strange, but interesting, species.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    We are a strange, but interesting, species.
    Well, it's just that I do like to, and still would, but I really find the idea that people around me might not enjoy their time in the bar as much due to the smoke not a pleasant thought. I don't mind stepping outside at all. After all it is I who chooses to smoke.

LOL

I found this video about "Snusing" and how to do it.. Hilarious, because they really make fun of themselves in a good way.

http://www.swedish-snus.com/en/usd/s...nus_shop_video
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    I find many smokers to be intolerant,

We just want to be left alone