Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orthopedics Review/Overview

Post Orthopedics Review/Overview

With the announcement that Irrational Number's Orthopedic Pack technology is being incorporated into LightWave[8], we at Critical Depth have some good news and some bad news...

The good news: Donald McDade, one of our LightWave reviewers, got his hands on Ortho Pack 1 and spent some quality time with it, then put together a review.

The bad news: You can't buy the standalone product that we reviewed anymore, 'cause the technology is being integrated into LW8.

If you're a fellow 'waver who didn't get to check out the demo, or haven't been following the progression of Irrational Number's product, now might be an excellent time to see what all the fuss is about...

http://www.critical-depth.net/module...content3&id=23

Sounds good

Oh it is good

It will make your rigging jobs soooooo much easier

Will it work with the new IK/FK bones, too?
    Chris Burkert

ArchiPacked models

It will work with either of LW8's new IK system - essentially, the Ortho stuff integrated into LightWave gives you new tools for creating and modifying bonde rigs - what you do with those rigs is up to you.

either of the new!
    Shuttle XPCVista 64 bit /Core2Extreme x9650 3.00GHz 8GB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Cintiq 21UX
    Dell 24" LCD Dell XT2 Tablet /Win 7 32 Bit /Core 2 duo SU9600 1.6 GHz 3GB / Mobil Intel 4500MHD

Sorry - I mistyped..

There's one new IK solver, in addition to the current one/

This isn't the new "dynamic bones" is it?

Yes, that's part of it....

Lee:

Dynamic is a confusing word. Do "dynamic bones" have angular and or linear spring (dynamic simulation) attributes?
    Last edited by Mike Pauza; 07-26-2003 at 02:59 PM.

??

I can not imagine the least how bones can be dynamic, especially with IK, and what that means and can do. Someone explain, please?!
    Chris Burkert

ArchiPacked models

Mike, didn't the one video that they've released show that there is some sort of dynamic bone feature? I thought there was one where they right clicked on an IK chain or bone or something and it gave some dynamic options....

Or maybe I'm on crack.

Imagine a bone chain which acts like a whip... Or a tail. With weight and springs. You could possibly do ahem, breasts with it too (though I wrote my own plugin for something similar, search for Springythingy on www.flay.com) purely for a character animation point of view of course!

Ahh, cool! If they have added such Hoopla features to bones i suppose we will see more basic improvements like tendon and musclebones without expressions and followerbuffers!
    Chris Burkert

ArchiPacked models

BoulYaBase:

Sorry to pollute your thread Mike. These character tools look awesome whether they have "dynamics" or not...though I would greatly prefer them too have dynamics.

hrgiger:

I don't remember about the vid...and I'm at home and can't watch mov vids right now. I'll take a peek tomorrow...truly hope your right.

As Dodgy said, dynamic bones would be great for secondary animation like flesh, hair, etc...and could also hopefully be used as a soft body dynamics cheat, and also in conjunction with with soft and hard bodys to create working machines with "physically correct" motion.

Hopefully, dynamic bones are actually dynamic.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast