Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cel Animation

Thanks guys. But all these test renders are irrelevant unless I come up with a decent idea. Still working on that though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbarnes View Post
    Hi CMT - Where are you getting the outlines from ? are they Edge rendered in LW or are from your diffuse settings.
    They are a combination of using the Edges section in the Object Properties panel and gradients with incidence angle in the color channel. This was done in the normal surface editor, but I'm going to see if I can get a little more control with the nodes editor.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Quote Originally Posted by CMT View Post
    They are a combination of using the Edges section in the Object Properties panel and gradients with incidence angle in the color channel. This was done in the normal surface editor, but I'm going to see if I can get a little more control with the nodes editor.
    Christopher, I'm sure you don't need telling.. But William did a Cell Shade Node tute in his 24 hours of tutes. Link in my sig..

Rich

Thanks Rich, I remember seeing that a while back and I did use a couple of the pointers he gave from that.

I think I have a rough idea of what I want to do now for an animation. Something involving a warlock. I need to flesh out his design (is he mean, old, or cute), then I'll start modeling.

In the meantime, I made this rough particles test at work during lunch today. This is the first test of a cel smoke effect I'm going for. But I'm trying to figure out why the particles jitter right before they disappear. Anyone got any ideas?

Here's the link to the animation.
    Smoke Animation.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

This is one of the first tests I did which doesn't have the extra highlight in the shader. Looking at it again, I think it may look better and more graphic. But, I thought I'd get some opinions....
    That's an incredible render. Very unique look with the shadows and soft lighting. A few setup hints of what you've done so far (settings that is) would be well appreciated.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Thanks, Hopper. I'll be posting my shader settings when I get it to a point where I think it's as good as I can get it.

When I got home I worked on the jitter problem (or jitter bug.. hehe... ahem...). It seems that when the particles are motionless for several frames after they already moved, they re-orient themselves. To what, I don't know.

Anyway, the solution was to add another wind effector to move them slightly so they never stop moving. So here's what it looks like now. I think it's good enough for this project. I'll incorporate this or something like it into some sort of spell casting of the warlock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smoke.gif 
Views:	464 
Size:	932.3 KB 
ID:	60185  
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

WOW!
    I've done a fair bit of cellshade, but never came round to a good, none retouched smoke /water solution.

With a few tweaks your setting looks like it would work for water splashes really well too.

Nice Work Chris

Oh, now THAT has a cool factor of 10!

I think realistic smoke and explosions would be an excellent thing to learn, but cell shading might be more my speed if it's more forgiving as far as the technical aspects of detailed (realistic) texturing are concerned. This is a guess of course.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

I worked a bit on the warlock's staff over lunch. I did a little modeling on the warlock himself last night, but it's very rough. I'll try to post the progress on him tonight.

Hopper, the cell smoke is a bit easier to deal with definitely. And it renders super fast. I think that animation above took about a minute and a half to render at that resolution. No AA or anything.

Name:	Staff.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	60300  
    Last edited by CMT; 07-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

I worked a bit on the warlock's staff over lunch. I did a little modeling on the warlock himself last night, but it's very rough. I'll try to post the progress on him tonight.

Hopper, the cell smoke is a bit easier to deal with definitely. And it renders super fast. I think that animation above took about a minute and a half to render at that resolution. No AA or anything.
    Looking forward to seeing the Warlock. The smoke reminds me a bit of Katsuhiro Ôtomo's AKIRA and also Steamboy. It's really great. I hope you will share some of your settings.

Yeah I actually bought the movie Steamboy and watched it several times for reference. Great movie! Been a long time since I've seen Akira though.

Here's the rough model of the warlock. I just yanked a head from an old model of mine for placement. I'll work on getting his facial structure more interesting. Didn't get to the lower half or arms yet.

I'll be doing a short cape for him, but I think for the lower half I'll stick with some sort of puffy trousers to limit the amount of dynamics I'll need to do.

Not sure about that helm yet either.....

Name:	Wiz1.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	60307  
    Last edited by CMT; 07-01-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Model update. Trying some colors as well.

I liked the the way the ninja boots looked cel shaded, so I modeled something similar and added some ties which might look good with some dynamics when animated. I'll add some baggy wizard pants for him.

Name:	Wiz2.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	60340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizBoots.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	60341  
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Looking nice CMT! Fantastic work so far ..
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    Oh, now THAT has a cool factor of 10!
    +1

That is really cool....can't wait to see how this competition turns out

Kuzey

Warlock is looking very cool. Are you animating him?

Thanks all! Happy 4th to all those who celebrate it!

hrgiger, yeah, that's the plan... LOL! I've never tried character animation on this level before, so this will be quite a learning experience for me.

Here's some color variations. I'm trying to get a feel for the character and think about what the environment should be like. I still need to work on the shape of his face to give it more "character".

And at some point I'll need to paint some bump maps to make it a little less clean. I think he's a bit too sterile at the moment.

Name:	WizColor1.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	60371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizColor2.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	60372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizColor3.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	60373  
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast