Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ok, I guess I'll start...(ANI. GIF)

Yup. My girlfriend and I are now using XSI Advanced.

how are you finding it? I've not touched XSI since v. 1.5 ....
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

So you managed to get the education version through your GF after all? Smooth move. You just missed that whole Foundation crumbling. When I heard about that I thought....ooops you are screwed now because you held on to LW for the contest then I forgot you were also considering the Ed version of Advanced. Is that what happened?

In any case, good luck with it and look forward to you posting some samples.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dommo View Post
    how are you finding it? I've not touched XSI since v. 1.5 ....
    Well, I can't say for sure how it compares to XSI 1.5 but I imagine it's a completely different beast since you used it. I will tell you that I am very impressed with the program both in terms of flexibility and it's intuitive workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    So you managed to get the education version through your GF after all? Smooth move. You just missed that whole Foundation crumbling. When I heard about that I thought....ooops you are screwed now because you held on to LW for the contest then I forgot you were also considering the Ed version of Advanced. Is that what happened?

In any case, good luck with it and look forward to you posting some samples.
    Yeah, I was actually going to buy Essentials outright so I really wasn't even looking at Foundation but I liked the terms of the educational license. There's really no drawback. I bought the one year license so I was able to upgrade to version 7 when it was released and will be eligible for any other updates in that timeframe. My girlfriend teaches both traditional and digital art at a local high school, it was an easy sell to have her get an XSI license, especially since I was paying for it.
    Thanks, I've been going through a lot of the training material they have for XSI free on the web. They also included free a whole digital Tutors training DVD along with version 7 which covers, games, film, broadcast, and VFX. I'm starting my own personal project right now so I'm excited about it. My big goal though right now is just to get comfortable working in XSI. I'm so used to the Lightwave way of things, it's a challenge.
    I still own a license of Lighwave 8 and am keeping my eye on future LW development.

Cool. Sounds challenging and fun. Thanks for the update.

I've been using XSI Foundation on and off for the past 7 months just trying to learn it in my free time. It's really nice. To be honest the main reason I'm using xsi for my personal stuff is because of the faster weight/skinning and the ability to animate at a vertex level when doing deformations with bones. If that was better in lightwave I wouldn't need another app as much. Vertex animation control is really necessary esp when dealing with geometry that overlaps somewhat. I get geometry pass-throughs otherwise. I'm kind of dreading using LW's cloth for simulations, I'll see what XSI can do for me in that area as well. . .though I think I would need XSI essentials for that.

With that said I think LW 9.5 will give me what I need rendering wise, powerful new stuff in there!
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Lightwave's renderer has come a LONG way during the 9.x cycle. Unfortunatley, it was part of the reason I went to XSI is because I felt like it received an undue amount of attention while other parts (esepecially modeler and some CA issues) went under-addressed. I'm hoping that changes in LW 10. Your reasons for trying XSI foundation are some of my reasons for the change as well. I know that Jay and the team have experimented with vertex animation in Layout but have not implemented anything yet. The nice thing about XSI is that if you can perform an operation in XSI, chances are, it's pretty much animatable including all modeling operations. Anything you build with a curve in XSI can be deformed/animated using that same curve. And yes, the weight painting is pretty sweet and very interactive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234