Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, I guess I'll start...(ANI. GIF)

Ok, I guess I'll start...(ANI. GIF)

I don't want to show everything or reveal the whole idea of my short but I thought I'd show a few things that will be going into my contest entry.

First, here's a character that will be the focal point. This is the first pass of a run I'm working on(so not really any upper body/arm motion yet). The gif is playing probably about half the speed that the actual animation is. I tried to get the file size down as much as possible so it would load and play quick. Weights have only been painted from about thigh down so you'll see some bad deformation going on in the hips.

I'm going to try and post a few more things in the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	run1pass002.gif 
Views:	1451 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	59842  

cool. nice character. did you model her?

really dig your spare skeleton too. i've never seen a rig with it quite so spare around the hips but i can't see why it couldn't work.

very nice.

and a very nice start to your anim too.

jin

Look ok, but why do you use a normal proportioned human being. You can film humans, thats a lot easier. Why not make a cartoony one? I never get the point why people want to make photo realistic humans. Can someone explain that to me? ( don't know anything about the contest) Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DGFXStudios View Post
    Look ok, but why do you use a normal proportioned human being. You can film humans, thats a lot easier. Why not make a cartoony one? I never get the point why people want to make photo realistic humans. Can someone explain that to me? ( don't know anything about the contest) Good luck!!
    Maybe they recently had to deal with Tom Cruise or something

I think the best answer to that for me is to say it's like asking why you'd have comic books or computer games with normally proportioned human beings. I think it's a good approach here and it looks like a good start, it would only take me about two months work to get that far.

Good luck from an unbiased observer!
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    I think the best answer to that for me is to say it's like asking why you'd have comic books or computer games with normally proportioned human beings. I think it's a good approach here and it looks like a good start, it would only take me about two months work to get that far.

Good luck from an unbiased observer!
    How can you use real humans in games or comics?.....filming them is not an option, in these cases 3d is! It's not only about the proportions. I ment, if you make a character in 3D you can easily make it something special. It was just a question... and I likes what I saw. cheers

looking good there! good luck
    my online portfolio --> [URL="http://www.jakasatiawan.com/"]http://www.jakasatiawan.com/[/URL]

Freelance 3D Artist
    We need proper humans in 3D so that we can do this:

I think the simplest answer is that it isn't his medium of choice. The artist may not be familiar with a camera in which case it certainly is not lot easier as you say.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Quote Originally Posted by SP00 View Post
    We need proper humans in 3D so that we can do this:
    So what is that from? I'd like to see the animation.

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

Quote Originally Posted by GregMalick View Post
    So what is that from? I'd like to see the animation.
    Matrix - Revolutions.... the battle between Neo and Smith. That shot is, as far as I know, 100% CG (the characters that is). And it's "filmed" in slowmotion... probably among the best CG-humans in closeup to date?

HR: Good start!
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

right, best use of realistic humans is for vfx. virtual stuntment, crowd generation, etc. imo, i think beowulf and ffsw are masturbatory exercises too....

but this is for a little newtek contest so i don't see any point talking about the aesthetics of media.... if there are enough competent entries, it might play a part in the judging but heck, everybody do what you want.

jin

Why not ask why we paint humans when we can just take their picture? Why we sculpt humans when we could have just drawn or painted them. 3D is simply another artists medium. I like the challenge that comes with modeling at least somewhat realistic proportions. It's harder to make it believable because we are all too familiar with how us humans look and move. And I just like what I like, dig?

Jin, yeah I modeled her. As far as the rig, it's (excuse the expression) bare bones. Since the animation should be no longer then 15 seconds, I can't see a lot of complex expressions and rigging being that fruitful when I can just fudge it with some artful FK. The legs are the only part of the rig with Ik. It's all about efficiency here. And of course what I can' fudge with artful FK will be obscured by some strategically placed shadows.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 06-17-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Looks really good so far.

I hope you'll give us some pointers, on how you do it as you go along.
    "We've gone on holiday by mistake"

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Why not ask why we paint humans when we can just take their picture? Why we sculpt humans when we could have just drawn or painted them. 3D is simply another artists medium. I like the challenge that comes with modeling at least somewhat realistic proportions. It's harder to make it believable because we are all too familiar with how us humans look and move. And I just like what I like, dig?

Jin, yeah I modeled her. As far as the rig, it's (excuse the expression) bare bones. Since the animation should be no longer then 15 seconds, I can't see a lot of complex expressions and rigging being that fruitful when I can just fudge it with some artful FK. The legs are the only part of the rig with Ik. It's all about efficiency here. And of course what I can' fudge with artful FK will be obscured by some strategically placed shadows.
    Thanks for the explanation! I hope I didn't offend you. It was just a general question. ( I don't agree about the painting thing but I do know what you mean) Good luck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast