Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Lightwave shuts down at launch

Newbie Member

Help! Lightwave shuts down at launch

I bought 3D Arsenal, but this may need to go in the Lightwave section, since it is specifically about launching that program.

I tried to search the forums, but didn't see anything about this.

After the grueling install of Lightwave 7.5 and 3D Arsenal, I was up and running. And had been going through the tutorial and doing some small projects. Everything was running fine.

Suddenly Lightwave closes at launch. Period.

The Modeler works fine. If I wipe the program and reinstall, the discovery mode version works fine, but when I put in my product key, it starts shutting down again.

I've wiped everything related to the program (I think) and reinstalled from scratch. No joy.

MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM. Program worked great until a couple days ago.
    OS X 10.5.3
    2.2 GHZ

On a side note, man is this thing clunky to install! I'm spoiled by simply double click installs.

Newbie Member
    Is this an issue with 10.5.3?

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    not on a mac. it just CLOSES?

No error or anything? try running with the hub disabled? I'd give that a shot.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Newbie Member
    Yeah, it starts to launch, but in the opening, I see the program frame (gray background, places where tabs will be. etc...), but before it all "fills in" I get an unexpected shut down error.

will try shutting down hub...

Newbie Member
    Disabled hub, but no change. Still shuts down at launch.

Try calling the support line, I had this problem once on version 9.2. I think I had to delete all my config files to fix it. If you're reinstalling though, I would think that would fix any config file issues.

Mediaslinky, for starters there is not a version of LW that has been released to run on 10.5.x. Keep that in mind once you get it working, and if you run into problems with the software.

Have you tried to open the program with the dongle unplugged? This will put the program in discovery mode, but if it launches that tells you something may be blocking the dongle driver. To solve this update the driver, and if you have firewall software check that it's not blocking the driver. To get the latest dongle driver go to: http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp. Click on the SuperPro link. After that scroll down to the orange and white table. Download driver v7.3.0.3. Unplug the dongle during the install. Reboot once the install is done, then plug in the dongle.

The steps on how to rebuild your configuration files are below. If the steps above did nothing this may solve the problem.

Rebuilding configs MAC

* CLOSE LW MODELER and LAYOUT.
    * Go to Mac HD:Users: User folder:Library:Preferences, Highlight, and delete the following preference files. Make sure you empty the trash bin.

LightWave 3 prefs
    LightWave Modeler 3 prefs
    LightWave Extensions 3 prefs
    LightWave Hub 3 prefs

* When you reopen LW they will automatically rebuild.
    * Rescan the plugins, and reset the menu layout, then check if the tools are working (if lightwave opens).
    NewTek Tech Support

Newbie Member
    Thanks.

Opening without dongle results in the same close, btw.

I actually did a Time machine restore back one week, and the program opens now... Not sure what I did this week, but still at 7.5.3.

I declined to reinstall the Raw photo update this time...

Newbie Member
    Well spoke too soon... now I can open in Discovery, but not with dongle.

I am trying to be patient, but this is a bit buggy for my tastes.

Newbie Member
    have tried everything above with no success. Not sure why it worked for one hour or so and then started closing again. I can't figure it out. I need this project by tomorrow, so looks like I'm going back to After Effects.

If anyone has any ideas... I'd like to use some of the animations in the arsenal...

Newbie Member
    I think it's a dongle issue. I can get into discovery mode fine, but not into lightwave when the dongle is present. I have trashed and re installed my sentinel drivers twice to no avail.

Newbie Member
    Talked with support. Their suggestion was to install on another machine... Luckily I have one... sort of...

I pulled a G4 out of storage. Still on Tiger, so it runs fine... just mega slow!!!!

4 minute frame renders!

There's got to be a better way.

The fact that LightWave temporarily worked after a system restore hints that there may also be some other software related issues that is not allowing LightWave to run stable. If you upgrade LightWave to version 9, it may run better on your 10.5.3 machine.
    NewTek Tech Support

Newbie Member
    Nothing changed from the time it was working until the time it wasn't. Aside from getting a couple emails, all I did was run Lightwave products and try to work. I didn't install anything or change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sntorres View Post
    If you upgrade LightWave to version 9, it may run better on your 10.5.3 machine.
    May run better?

This program is supposed to be a simple 3D creation tool.

So, how much is an upgrade to 9?

What are known conflicts?

Just tried to reply to reply to this thread on the Mac forum, but it was gone by the time I clicked Reply. It sucks that 3D Arsenal "Full Version" uses LW7.5 - as it means that it's not a native intel app on OSX (has to run in emulation of PPC instead). That's probably the reason - more than any other - why it keeps crashing.

If you do want to use it, I'd recommend getting LW9.x - and see if Newtek will do a crossgrade to the Content-only version of 3DA (discounting the cost of your LW upgrade - the content-only pack is cheaper). Intel Macs are VERY fast at rendering compared to their PPC ancestors - but you need to run Universal Binary apps (with intel native code) to see that speed gain. LW7.5 isn't - LW9 is.
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast