Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing instruments...

Playing instruments...

Hi everyone...

Since there are some threads that easily could be viewed as negative and "not belonging here" or the simple fact that many are waiting for a new LW-version (V9.5), I thought it would be a great oppertunity to enlist all the musicians we have at this forum.

Since I started this thread, I'll start...

The following video (unfortunate camera angle) shows what I usually do when practising improvision. I'm not following any rules; I just play out of my mind. In this case I'm focusing on fills for most of the time (practising having a flow). At the end, I play with synth-triggers (basdrum and the left cymbal).

Go here and grab the AVI-file. You'll see two files, the AVI is the one to grab (and you'll actually see what I look like)

I would love to see other musicians showing off their skills!

Please... keep this thread possitive... (but ALWAYS give critics in a possitive way, if you need to).
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Pretty darn impressive!

No vid, but this my feeble attempt at Bach:
    http://www.glebedigital.co.uk/sarabande.mp3

enjoy, if possible!

"You will see nothing that’s certain, but lots of action; plenty of defects, little that’s pretty, and nothing of any worth." GB 1582

OMG!

Sounds like a guitarr... am I correct? Damn beautifully played! Alot of feeling in it... I AM very impressed with your skills on a classic guitar (if that is what you played on...which it sounds like)...

NT... this guy should play at your Siggraph party!
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

You're way too kind cageman, play it up against a Segovia version and you'll notice just how bad my rendition is.....

That said, I do love my classical guitar........can't beat it for relaxing after a long day shifting polygons!

"You will see nothing that’s certain, but lots of action; plenty of defects, little that’s pretty, and nothing of any worth." GB 1582

After Glebe's little upload, I have no right to even be posting in this thread. I play classical a good bit but have never recorded any and don't own a good classical guitar. Doesn't sound quite as good on a normal acoustic.

However, here's two things I did months ago. It's all me, overdubbed and dubbed some more. No fancy guitar shredding here, sorry.

http://www.klarfx.com/mp3/Steamthrower-Fallout.mp3
    http://www.klarfx.com/mp3/Steamthrow..._Chernobyl.mp3
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Quote Originally Posted by glebe digital View Post
    You're way too kind cageman, play it up against a Segovia version and you'll notice just how bad my rendition is.....

That said, I do love my classical guitar........can't beat it for relaxing after a long day shifting polygons!
    Good on you, it's a nice thing!

Ah yes, but Segovia is hardly somebody most guitarists of any persuasion ever get near to so I wouldn't fret too much (no pun intended).

m

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post

I would love to see other musicians showing off their skills!

Please... keep this thread possitive... (but ALWAYS give critics in a possitive way, if you need to).

- Negative crits can be just as useful. I mean there's nothing worse than that facile, passive form of negativity where everyone is bent on not saying what they think?

m

Quote Originally Posted by Steamthrower View Post
    However, here's two things I did months ago. It's all me, overdubbed and dubbed some more. No fancy guitar shredding here, sorry.

http://www.klarfx.com/mp3/Steamthrower-Fallout.mp3
    http://www.klarfx.com/mp3/Steamthrow..._Chernobyl.mp3
    Really like where you're going with 'fallout'..........sounds like Tortoise to me.
    If I can find my rendition of Cale's 'cocaine' then I can really embarass myself.....

Quote Originally Posted by glebe digital View Post
    If I can find my rendition of Cale's 'cocaine' then I can really embarass myself.....
    No, let me embarrass myself first with this all digital rendition of a guitar (garageband) ... I can't recall under what pile of junk my guitar is these days.

m

Attachment 59392
    Last edited by meshpig; 02-19-2009 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meshpig View Post
    - Negative crits can be just as useful. I mean there's nothing worse than that facile, passive form of negativity where everyone is bent on not saying what they think?

m
    Well...

What I meant was of course to be polite and constructive = possitive feedback even if its "negative critics"...

Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm recording a really interesting jazz album right now with a couple from Denver and I'd love to share some of the WIP's with you guys but my studio had a major termite infestation over the weekend and I can't exactly access it right now. (We need to relocate it's so bad... blah.)

I have this early WIP that we did for the demo release of the album. The first 2 - 3 minutes are an intro drone, so if you want to hear the music, skip ahead a bit and please let me know what you guys think (especially of the recording)!

http://www.bedpanmedia.com/RELIII/DawnsEyes.rar
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.

The recording sounds very organic and alive. Fits this type of music very well. A couple of times I was little distracted by some guitars being little too strong at times.

Very nice and soft jazz... little too slow for my personal taste, but very well played!

EDIT: What instrument did you play? Or do you only manage the recording?
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

The recording sounds very organic and alive. Fits this type of music very well. A couple of times I was little distracted by some guitars being little too strong at times.
    Thanks, that's quite the feel I was going for with the recording. It definately needs another couple mixing sessions to get the guitars right. Personally, I'm more distracted by the short changes in time signature, but that is the effect the artist is after.

I don't really play anything, I dabble here and there but on this effort, I was only the engineer.

The artist played all the instruments himself on the demo, but the record features other musicans and a lot more instruments. (pots and pans, washboad, flute, soprano sax, trumpet, and miscellaneous others)
    Blog

Specs:

I would post some stuff up but i'm mainly in the dance and HipHop world so i doubt it would be of much interest

NAS
    Proton says "Kay" so listen
    Kay

I would post some stuff up but i'm mainly in the dance and HipHop world so i doubt it would be of much interest
    I got started in engineering and production from Dj'ing house parties, so I'd be interested in the dance stuff and as long as it's not bling rap, I'm also interested in the hip hop too.

So let's hear it!
    Blog

Specs:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast