Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ocean texture using nodes?

Newbie Member
    It is indeed a bit intense.

Eitherway, I just delivered the video, which I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with it. The deadline got pushed 2 days back and there was no time to render, and even though most of it it pretty good, I had some serious errors at places I didn't expect.

It seems that the speed of some of my deformation layers is too large, and the subdivision is bad at places. Again, I think I'm pretty happy with the textures, lighting and all, but because of the tight deadline, and the slow pc I'm working on, I didn't have the time to preview the actual geometry, which is pretty darn unacceptable for me. There is no changing anything now, it's too late to re-render. I'll upload the video very soon so you can rain your judgment on me...!

Newbie Member
    Here it is, just the animation part, not the entire presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8X66O8k8RU

The animation turned out nice. Can I ask how you produced the wake?

Newbie Member
    There are three separate wakes,
    1. The "stream" left behind by the ship
    2. The distortion around the base of the ship
    3. A "V" shaped wake that begins at the tip of the ship and extends backwards (no foam here).

(1 and 3 are clearly visible in the previous image I posted).

1 is controlled by an image alpha, whereas the tho lines extending backwards are the marble texture node, with a turbulence node controlling the position (this is equivalent to the old "displacement" in the layer texture system). Then there is a gradient from white to light green to give some color variation to the foam.

2 has again, an image alpha, and a more simple turbulence node that is controlled by a moving null.

3 is (surprise, surprise) an image alpha with the underwater texture node.

I could probably go on and on about this, but I'll just give you the surface file

A bit of warning though, it's a bit complicated and definitely not the most efficient way to produce this effect.

Surface explanation

There are 3 image image nodes all in all. Each one is named wake_x, where "x" corresponds to the three numbers I mentioned above.

I also kinda divided the space in the node editor so I could work with each part of the sea separately, so:

Lower area:
    This controls the bump.

Middle area:
    This mixes in the white caps and gives the color of the sea (which is also depended on the background image used)

Upper-left area:
    Creates (colors) the wake_1

Upper-right area:
    Creates (colors) the wake_2

Wake_3 has no color, only bump.

Of course these are accompanied by proper displacement maps, but for a stills or shots from afar, you can get away with no displacement at all.

Have fun!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Newbie Member
    Oh, I forgot to mention the scale of the texture. If you see the previous image I posted, the scale of the ship is around 350m, so you can understand what scale this should be used for (I wanted to work with absolute values of scale, since modeling had to be done to scale).

Thank you for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12