Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this in the pipeline?

I purchased the TCB effect developed by animlab for SpeedEdit. It performs as advertised and looks much more professional than the timecode effect included with SpeedEdit. More importantly, it does show the original timecode that was recorded to the clip by the camera so this should take care of those situations where your client requires a time code burn of the original footage.

I wish there were more people creating effects and plug-ins for SpeedEdit.

Thank you, mvansomeren.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Chen, this pluging still does NOT display the timecode from the actual .mxf clip correct?
    If it does I'll order today.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

TCB is based on NewTek's capture feature that save the tape time code into .timecode file and SE use that file to response the tape timecode request. By nature, it will not support .mxf file unless the .mfx reader can put the tape timecode to .timecode file.

However, we might have chance to make it happen by add some support utility. I don't have .mxf clips at hand to tryon. If you can send me one or two sample clips (3-5 seocnds), I will try to make it happen.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Chen, if you give me your address I'll put a couple clips on a Data DVD and send them to you. You can give it to me here or send a Private Message.
    I'd love to work with you on this because I will benefit as well as you and others.
    Thanks for helping with this missing link on SE.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    MV, unfortunately, you can not display the clips actual timecode. At least as of yet. You can only display the time on the timeline or the duration of the clip.
    Trust me, I've been trying to get by with this limitation for a long time.
    Hope NewTek can gitter done soon.
    The SE TC Filter doesn't have to start at zero. I've adjusted it's in and out points to match the TC of the clip it's lined up with. True you would have to do it manually for each clip, but you can get there from here. From an already edited project, it would be a *****.

What I've been doing a lot of lately for clients to review their raw footage, is running a composite line from the camcorder or deck with TC overlay into a cheap real-time DVD recorder, (Panasonic) at the same time as capturing the full quality clean video onto the hard drives for future editing. It only takes a few more minutes to set up, but doesn't require any extra upload or download time. Even most cheap camcorders have a menu choice to put TC and maybe some other viewfinder stuff on top of the analog video output. And we've probably all met an XL1 that will NOT STOP putting it on the video out, unless you remembered to bring the remote :-)
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    [email protected]

"The future's so bright, I think it's unterminated".

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_LightPlay View Post
    The SE TC Filter doesn't have to start at zero. I've adjusted it's in and out points to match the TC of the clip it's lined up with. True you would have to do it manually for each clip, but you can get there from here. From an already edited project, it would be a *****.
    Maybe I'm missing something but how would you know what the actual timecode recorded to the clip was in the first place once it's on the timeline? For example, if you use auto chop and now you have a bunch of clips. You select 5 out of the ten that you will use and drop them all in the timeline to burn a DVD for the client so that they can choose the in/out points. SE will only show you TC relative to the position of the clip on the timeline.

As Ted mentioned, there isn't a way in SE to do that with the TC effect that comes with it. Animlab's effect does the job for footage captured through SE. Although to date I haven't had the same demands that Ted has from his clients, I wanted to be prepared as I'm sure it will happen one day.

Sorry I wasn't more specific. Maybe I missed one of the initial paramiters of this thread.
    I was referring to clips captured thru Firewire-1394, both DV and HDV. I use Auto-chop, and the clips always have the original timecode. They don't all start at 00:00 like a capture thru the VT. I get that even if the tape was recorded in a higher end camera that lets the user set the TC starting point.

The Animlab effect sounds good. I may add it to my arsenal someday, too.
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    [email protected]

Yes, the clips do retain the original TC. The problem occurs when you put them on the timeline...starting at 00:00:00:00. SE's TC effect now shows TC relative to their position on the Timeline, not the embedded, original timecode.

I understand your idea of shifting the effect/clip to the point of the timeline that matches the original clip timecode. Unfortunately, that isn't very practical if you have large gaps in TC between clips and/or a large number of clips that are not sequential. But, I have to give you credit, it is one way of getting it done.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Remember, ignoring the rather limited SE TC "effect", you can switch on the local time code readout inside of SE.

This doesn't help you for TC window burns, but it does show you your real TC internally.

Don't attempt this with the SE TC effect on as well, weird stuff happens.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Yup. In my view, Animlab's product is the only viable TC Burn solution at the moment for captured footage. Hopefully, the addition of a utility will address files that are transfered to the PC outside of SE capture such as .mxf, etc.

Now if we can just get someone to develop HD transitions and effects...

Quote Originally Posted by mvansomeren View Post

Now if we can just get someone to develop HD transitions and effects...
    "Paging Mr. Pratt..." "Mr. Eric Pratt, to the white phone, please".
    How about some, "HDat Tricks".
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    [email protected]

Chen, I just sent you a few .mxf clips in 480, 720 and 1080 formats.
    Hopefully you can gitter done.
    Then I can start whining about my next most needed feature.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

I just do a research in reading metadata of mxf file and it is complicated but possible to get the tape timecode out. There are two different work flow to have this job done and I need your opinion as reference.

Work flow 1: An exrtra mxf timecode utility to read out the mxf timecode component and create the "*.TimeCode" file under "NewTek Info" directory. I don't need to change any code of my TCB effect. User have to run the utility before they drag clips into SE. This work flow is efficiency and reliable but user need to pay attention on adding the "*.timecode" file first.

Work flow 2: I add mxf timecode support into TCB. No "*.TimeCode" file generated. It will add loading to the TCB itself since it need to access mxf file every frame to check. The only benifit for this work flow is user don't need to do anything extra.

BTW. MXF can have multiple items (video clips) in a single file. I will not support multiple items MXF. It should be more efficiency to do that with mxf core code of SE. Hope NewTek will add reading metadata features on future SE builds.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_LightPlay View Post
    "Paging Mr. Pratt..." "Mr. Eric Pratt, to the white phone, please".
    How about some, "HDat Tricks".
    Once there are actual HD DVE creation tools released by Newtek... AFAIK, they are not yet available. The only HD DVEs currently are ones that Bob Tasa's plug-in uses in his own render engine, instead of Newtek's engine.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast