Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Select Polygons in Modeler is slow.. really slow

Newbie Member

Select Polygons in Modeler is slow.. really slow

Hello Gentlemen,
    it's me again...
    After having accepted the limited Zoom and the absence of Backdrop, I have decided to continue anyway with my work but.. here another strange behavior that I did not have (course...) with the old version. I have also searched on the forum but I did not find anything about it:

When I select polygons on Modeler, using the lazo, the selection gets looOoOoOooooooong time to be done. It starts with the Perspective view and it continues with the other view. I have tried several "configurations" (like Wireframe for the perspective) and I have also tried to disable the Graphic Acceleration, but nothing... Anybody has the same problem and he did arrive to fix it...?
    I have now a 2.2 GHz with a Matrox Parhelia, but LW seems not to care... The selection is performed at the same speed of my old 600 Mhz...

Thank you

Julius
    http://www.colonia-ostiensis.com
    MSN Messenger: [email protected]

It could be a video driver problem. I dont seem to see that happening. Have you tried another video card or driver?

I'm betting it's a driver issue, I used to have a matrox card, and they were forever playing catch up with their opengl support. Look for new drivers or try playing with some of the settings in the driver you have now...

this is something I've found with LightWave too, I have a nVidia Quadro4 900 XGL and when I do a lasso selection it takes a second to update, mainly because LW shows each polygon being selected, it shows the hilights as it goes.

Using FormZ on a really old Mac was quicker, you could select a whole model with tons of polys and it would be instant, I think LW could be faster in the OpenGL department.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

yep, i get this problem too, and ive got a GeForce 4600. i guess that LW is just bad at doing it with a lot of cards. Something to fix in 8.0 then

Epita

Never been a problem for me, i use a gf3 installed as a quadro dcc.

James..
    uh wha?

i had a problem like this once, and it was directly related to the drivers that lw was using.

now, i have a temp vid card installed (RIVA TNT2) and everything seems fine. double check which renderer lightwave is using. you can check by running layout (modeler doesnt not have an option to detect) and execute the command About OpenGL. there you would see your renderer. it should coincide with your current hardware vid drivers.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Newbie Member

Faulkermano,
    thank for the tip.... And thank to the other for thier suggestion...
    In fact Lightwave now is using the standard Microsoft drivers and not the Matrox ones... As I want always double check, I have reinstalled LW on my "old" computer, the one I use now only for backup.. Well.. on that machine LW is not going much faster, but at least there it is using the correct drivers...

I have then done, in the order:

1) searched for any parameter to set up in my Matrox utilities...

2) Updated whatever I could upgrade (Mather Board Bios, Chipset Bios, etc) I did not upgrade the matrox bios because it was already the last one.

3) reinstalled the Video Card drivers

4) Downloaded some OpenGL Benchmark (you never know...)

5) ...decided to not buy anymore Matrox products....

6) ..decided to use Vue d'Esprit for my project....

Thank you again for your help....

Julius

Newbie Member

Hello again,
    after a long, long ride on the net, I have found what I think it is a temporarely solution for the OpenGL issue, whatever is the responsible who should fix it (hey, Matrox & Newtek...com'on...)
    I have found this software that seems to fix my OpenGL probems.

http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/.../gld_home.html

When I use it on my system I have some strange side effect, but *at least* the selection of polygons goes like a rocket, even better that my old LW 5.6!!!

Have fun

Julius

I have the same problem with the G400-G450 cards from Matrox (Matrox cards SUCK BIG TIME and their support is pretty much non-existent...I have had nothing but trouble with their crap...****e overlays, bad Direct Draw, crap overlay filtering and sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww OpenGL....did i mention the slow OpenGL, well it's sloooooooooooooooowwwwwww, in case you missed it....)

My nVidia 4600Ti has no problems (atleast they have decent drivers.), but OpenGL is still not up to par with what the card performs under Direct-X.

Matrox cards IMHO are as usefull as condom vending machines in the Vatican.

----
    It does help though to Lasso your selection and then Window-D button to the desktop and then Window-D button again to get all windows back (it has something to do wth some sort of overdraw or whatnot.)
    Also, turn off every AA feature (lines and points) turn off normals, cages, etc...this speads it up a bit.

(A couple of weeks ago i made the really bad mistake of using the Pointbelt selector on a object with far over a million polygons....i could go on a holliday before that selection was done...(and i hadn't saved yet, so pushing reset buttons was a no-go.)

Newbie Member

Hello Red_Oddity...

I have read that you had problem with your Matrox card.. DIrectX, etc... but I did not understood if you had OpenGL problems (eh eh eh...)...
    Well.. after this clear post, I think that I will take the Final Decision. Here the procedure:

1) Unmount the card
    2) Pack the card
    3) Sent it back

Thank you for your post....

Regards

Julius

Well, let's hope it is a faulty card and you get a decent one back...
    Also, let's hope you dont' have to wait as long as i have for most parts i sent back to the companies (Asus still has my mobo (for about 5 months now), so, screw them, keep it, i've switched to Tyan and Abit already...)

As for the videocard, have you contacted Matrox? what do they say? (besides the usual comments about it being 'your' fault and not their hardware...)

Just curious (i've never sent Matrox my card as i have had so many problems with them already, i couldn't be f-ing bothered anymore, i just switched hardware vendor and brand)

Newbie Member

Hello...
    I have finally found the responsible of my problem. I don't tell the whole history because it could need 10 pages, but I found that NETMEETING was preventing the Hardware Acceleration to work properly. Now my system is another thing!!! The polygon selection is very fast and even the "quality" of the display is totally different...

I have found it by running DxDiag after having downloaded the Version 9 of DirectX.
    Thank for your support...

A happy Julius

talking of customer support, dont get a Gainward. The cards may be great for gaming (they are) but there is no customer support in the UK (that me) I got my new 4600 and it didnt work, the contact number didnt exist and the website is still under construction. Took me 7hrs late at night to get Win98 to start up and not crash, still isnt great though, donst work with Dx8.1 will get 9 soon. no programs work with it, i have to use an old 2.1Gig hd to run programs.

epita

Netmeeting? that's a weird place to look for a DX/vidcard related program...how the heck did you ever find that one out?

Might aswell install DX9 here aswell, might work (this PC is screwed up anyway )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast