Thread: From Sydney to New York...?

From Sydney to New York...?

Hi

My Wife is considering a global role based in New York with a professional services firm she's been with for a couple of years now.

We aren't going to buy so can I ask what the rents are like there?

Where would be best to live commute-wise and rent/value/lifestyle- wise if there are 2 offices; one in New Jersey and one in Manhattan?

The firm will probably pay the first six months but go with the cheapest option.

Thanks.

m
    Last edited by meshpig; 04-16-2008 at 03:21 AM.

I just typed this very long post and then lost it when I hit a link by mistake!!! doh!!!!

Where in NJ will she be going? That's a pretty important question as she may need access to a car. There are tons of people that commute into NYC every day from NJ and there are some people that commute to NJ from NYC as well. The latter is easier as less people do that.

Rents will range from 1600-3500US / month, depending on the neighborhood, and what services the building offers, and the size of the apt.

The best of where to live will have to do a lot with how she will be getting from NJ to NYC. Most buses go into Port Authority at 42nd st and 8th Ave. Most trains from NJ go into Penn Station at 34th St. and 8th Ave. From there, there are many subways that will get you to where you need to go in NYC.

www.mta.info for getting around NYC
    www.hopstop.com is pretty cool too.
    www.njtransit.com for getting to and from NJ - NYC
    www.panynj.gov for getting to and from some closer parts of NJ and NY
    There are tons of sites for apt prices - search for "new york city apartment rent"

If you want to know any specifics feel free to drop me a PM here, and I'd be glad to help out.

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffrySG; 04-16-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Jeff,

I see, thanks that's handy to know. The local office is in East Brunswick NJ which I gather is where we'd also be located.

The transit links are a bit bewildering but also quite amazing. It's some system, thanks heaps!

East Brunswick? As far as I can tell I won't be able to work and I don't drive anyway... Do you think one would get bored there; having never been to NYC and it being an hour away?

We've got a few weeks to make a decision. Thanks indeed for your help!

m

I have no doubt that you would be able to get a bus from East Brunswick into NYC. You also could probably get dropped off at the New Brunswick NJ Train stop and then take the train into NYC. That is definitely close enough to commute on a daily basis. I'm sure rents there will be much cheaper (or more space) than Manhattan as well. There are always other bus lines as well or people that are looking to drive other people in to the city to share travel expenses as well.

You will be able to get into NYC from there without much of a problem, I would guess. There is plenty to do around NYC and you'll be close enough that if you want to go in to NYC for some fun it won't be much of a problem.

Jeff

Thanks again, I'm glad I asked because these Firms don't give you much of an idea really.

Conversely, where in Manhattan would be a good place to start looking? Or are the suburbs more realistic.

Thanks!

m

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Manhatten is the most expensive place to rent in the USA with San Fran second.

So keep that in mind when you see the prices and the eyes go....

and.. it takes a very special kind of person to live there. It ain't 'easy' living, but the reward is great.