Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation of Windows pre-requisites failed

NLE Pro / New to VT[4/5] VideoBob2000's Avatar

Exclamation Installation of Windows pre-requisites failed

While installing SpeedEdit standalone full package (1st time, and 3 more uninstall / reinstall cycles), it gets almost through the entire installation, then while it says, "Installing Windows pre-requisites", a warning window from Windows Installer pops up with the message:
    This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

After clicking "OK" it continues the installation as if successful, but of course, it errors [failed to initialize properly] upon trying to run it since the WP was not installed. There seems to be no way to remedy this problem with the discs included in the box. If there's a fix, I can't get to it, because the silly Product ID protection on the system prevents registration until the program runs, which it won't because of this problem.

This happens both when installing directly from the DVD-ROM, and when installing from a hard drive directory that the DVD-ROM was successfully copied onto.

What else can be done?

Bob

Rather sounding like a damaged disk, Bob - maybe talk to TS and try to get a replacement.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    Rather sounding like a damaged disk ...
    Thanks, Steve. That's what I first thought, so I tried copying it to the hard drive, and it copied successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoBob2000 View Post
    ... when installing from a hard drive directory that the DVD-ROM was successfully copied onto.
    Could it copy successfully and still be a bad file? Is there some place I could download good (and updated) files from?

Bob

... and it copied successfully.
    Yes, that's the bug in my theory all right - but I'm afraid I don't have another one.

Is there some place I could download good (and updated) files from?
    I don't really think so, Bob - the files are quite large.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Why not try to install it on another computer? That should narrow the problem down. I've seen Windows itself cause issues with installing programs because some .dll is missing or somthing is amiss in the registry.

Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    I don't really think so, Bob - the files are quite large.
    Yeah, but with a 8M internet download speed, it won't take too long to download the whole DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by mvansomeren View Post
    Why not try to install it on another computer? That should narrow the problem down. I've seen Windows itself cause issues with installing programs because some .dll is missing or somthing is amiss in the registry.
    I had thought about doing that, too, but in reading the instructions, it seems that once it gets working on one computer, it's pretty much a pain to get it to run on another computer. Any way to test on one before final installation to another?

I think you could test the installation but not register it ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

You have some number of days (14, I think) before you have to register it. I installed SE on a machine with Windows x64 trial version to test it. Then I uninstalled it. When I finally installed a full version of Windows x64, I installed SE and then finally registered. No problems at all.

Exclamation

Well, good news -- I don't have to worry about it getting registered on a different system because ... It doesn't work on that one either!!! Same problem. Good disk. Bad installation. So I guess I need to find tech support somehow.

Unlikely, but have you tried disabling your virus protection temporarily while installing?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

make sure you have SP2 for windowsXP instaled first.

Since system specs were not seen by me, and I don't know where to look on my PC's for SSE, SPEdit will not work without SSE2. Download and run CPUid.exe which does tell you if your CPU is SSE or SSE2.

GoodLuck
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

KiloWatkins:
    Since system specs were not seen by me, and I don't know where to look on my PC's for SSE, SPEdit will not work without SSE2. Download and run CPUid.exe which does tell you if your CPU is SSE or SSE2.

SSE, SSE2, SSE3

IMPERIAL:
    make sure you have SP2 for windows XP installed first.

Yes.

SBowie:
    Unlikely, but have you tried disabling your virus protection temporarily while installing?

Yes. Same results.

Tech support was patient and also had me download the package (MS Visual C++ - 2005 Redistributable) from Microsoft:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
    but it had the same results, so they blamed it on Microsoft. However, I also found the 2008 (instead of 2005) package from Microsoft installed just fine. BUT ... SpeedEdit didn't work since SpeedEdit was apparently programmed only for the 2005 version.

And to throw another wrench in the works ... it installed just fine on yet ANOTHER computer (that I don't want to use SpeedEdit on) that is a WinXP Pro SP2 computer (instead of Home) ... but then it crashed just browsing through the hard drives in the filebin (I clicked on the back arrow after going into a subdirectory) on THAT one, before even starting to do anything else.

... I do keep the computers up-to-date with Microsoft Updates ... makes me wonder if ... 1. some newer Win XP Home patches & updates have incorporated parts of the 2008 redistributable in them, cause SpeedEdit not to work, or ... 2. some Win XP Home patches actually conflict with whatever it is that SpeedEdit is doing with the C++ Redist package, or ... 3. SpeedEdit only works right with WinXP pro ...

Oh, well ... thanks for all your . I'm beginning to think that this SpeedEdit idea was not the smartest move.
    Last edited by VideoBob2000; 04-14-2008 at 04:16 PM.

System Specs please. CPU GPU, desktop resolution ect.... SPEdit fails to install on this SSE XP SPxxx internet PC, as well as Aura/Mirage LiveSet plug in. It is SPxxx because of some Vista commands are showing from updates. Like, "do you want to allow a copy of a url" LOL XP Home, is this the original Home? There is an XP Home for 2-4 cores.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

This happens both when installing directly from the DVD-ROM, and when installing from a hard drive directory that the DVD-ROM was successfully copied onto.

This would suggest you have a good disk of SE. Look in your NT account. Do you see the SE1.5 or SE1.5.1 updates? If so, they really won't do much for you, as they look for SE1.0 in reg.edit, can be ran in their own folder, but may beable to get you to a product number and install the pre req's. Once you enter the ID at NewTek reg., the unlock is instant, in your account.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast