Thread: VT5 Crashes Intermittently

Newbie Member

VT5 Crashes Intermittently

Hi guys!

We are in preparation for a demo of VT5 in a TV channel for a news application. The problem is that the system that we have is crashing intermittently. We cannot afford this to happen, thus we are seeking your help on how can we eliminate this cause. Below is the system specs that we have.

HP xw8400 Dual 2.66 Ghz
    2 GB Ram 533 Mhz
    250GB System Drive
    500 GB Media Drive
    Windows XP 32 Bit
    Quadro Fx 1700 256MB Graphic Card

VT5 Live SDI:
    VT5 card with SX-SDI daughtercard installed
    Lightwave 9.3.1 Installed
    VT5 application Installed

Please help..

John, we feel for you, but we'll need much more info to help.

Did this system ever work correctly with VT5?
    If so, how long has this been happening?
    Have you done a complete un-reinstall?
    Was this a fresh install or upgrade?
    Have you recently added any new hardware?
    Any new software? Any recent upgrades?
    What other software are you running? Any anti-virus software?
    Who built your system? If someone else, have you contacted them?

The more you can give this forum the more likely you'll get a quick answer and more likely a correct answer.
    Good luck.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Newbie Member
    Hi Ted,

I just did a fresh Installation of Windows XP SP2. After that I installed VT5 and Lightwave 3D 9.3.1. I only have VT5 as my hardware connected on the PCI-x slot. The only upgrade I did was the upgrade of Lightwave, plus I installed Liveset generators for lightwave and aura. No antivirus on the system.

I noticed that everytime I open CG designer and load a template (Presentation 1) the VT5 crashes.

The system is working with VT5, but i just dunno what is causing the crashing of the system. We don't want this to be seen by our client during the demonstration.

any help would be appreciated.

try usind different graphic card... not Quadro or atleast use different driver for Quadro.
    Latest drivers are not always good solution.

Newbie Member
    I had that happen to a unit I installed in a Church and when I installed a good back-up ups, the crashing stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by IMPERIAL View Post
    try usind different graphic card... not Quadro or atleast use different driver for Quadro.
    Latest drivers are not always good solution.
    I agree - and make SURE the nVidia Desktop Manager is turned off.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Almost forget, a lot of these issues have been resolved with a new higher rated power supply or adding more cooling. Just a thought.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Newbie Member
    thank you guys for the suggestions.

the fastest that I can do with my system is to turn off the nvidia desktop manager since tomorrow is the demo. I just hope it doesn't crash while on demo...

have you guys heard about a product named monarch? they are providing 3d virtual sets also and the client is choosing between vt5 and this product. tell me what do you think about this.. ill post the link below..

http://www.monarchvision.com/virtualonair.php

cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnroger View Post
    tell me what do you think about this.. ill post the link below..
    From the description on the manufacturer's web site, the Monarch Virtual On Air is not so much a "complete studio solution" as a single channel effects box.

To do the type of production work you can do with a VT[5] you'd need one Monarch system for each camera, with an operator running each system, and additionally you'd need a video switcher and an operator for that.

It appears that the Virtual On Air is still in development, as the purchase pages on the web site are unfinished, but the attached article projects that it is expected to sell for "Rs. 15 lakh" According to this web site, http://coinmill.com/INR_USD.html#INR=1500000 a Lakh Rupee (Rs.) is worth 100,000 Rupees, making Rs. 15 lakh equivalent to $37,738.14. When you consider that a 3 camera virtual studio would need three of these systems plus a switcher, you're talking about an investment of over $100,000 US, to do the job you could be doing with a VT[5] sytem at $12,000 or so - plus with the VT you get an editor and other features as well.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by PSegarra View Post
    I had that happen to a unit I installed in a Church and when I installed a good back-up ups, the crashing stopped.
    Hi, PSegarra. When you're able, please advise us on the make/model -- or at least the wattage or VA rating of your choice of Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with power massaging features (which I suspect yours has)? Thanks in advance.
    -PeterG

Quote Originally Posted by johnroger View Post
    the fastest that I can do with my system is to turn off the nvidia desktop manager since tomorrow is the demo.
    John
    Without a doubt, NEVER run the desktop manager. We only use NVIDIA cards, but none of our systems run well with the desktop manager.
    Not saying this will fix your particular problem, but I'm sure it will help.
    Good luck!
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's