Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Hijacked by Modo!

Help! Hijacked by Modo!

Ok, I can sincerely say I love Newtek Lightwave. Still a rather new user, but the application just seems to fit. However while looking through the forums, something I don?t find much time to do as much as I would like by the way, I ran across a post about motto. So as my curiosity grew, I went to their site, and then I saw it. A modeling, sculpting, painting, uv, in your face feedback 3d application on drugs, and all for $895.00.
    I felt like I was high jacked, I ended up spending hours on their site and forums looking for the big gotcha, it doesn?t do that line.
    Those hours were set aside for Lightwave, to learn more and watch the outstanding tutorials created by William Vaughan.
    Anyways I found my way back here finally to type this cry for help. Does anyone know anything wrong with modo? Can you please tell me the dream of an application having painting, sculpting, modeling, animating and rendering feedback all wrapped up in one application with no additional plug-ins to buy? Please.
    I don?t want to go!!! However fast production = more $$$ = me go were money is.

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    - No real animation. Modo doesn't animate, it just varies static values over time, can move a camera, and can import MDD files from other applications. It has no actual animation capabilities.
    - No plugin architecture. This means you can't extend it whatsoever. No LWCAd, no Fprime, No Maxwell, no Kray, no volumedic, HD instance, none of the thousands and thousands of free scripts, great commercial tools or anything.

Other than that I'm sure modo is great. Lw is just covers more terrain and is much more extendable. Modo is more like modeler on steroids with a render engine. Whatever Lightwave Layout does, besides the rendering, modo can't.
    Last edited by Exception; 03-28-2008 at 06:46 PM.

DragonFist WyrmFriend
    To my knowledge, one big gatcha for me, is lack of animation. It will eventually have it and I think I heard word of it recently gaining some animation capabilities, but (and again, I am not a user of modo and may be wrong) it doesn't cover fully animating. It is at least the main reason I haven't put down any bucks on it.

That said, what it does do, it apparently does well. Plenty that rave about it.

Shawn "DragonFist" Smith

Thank you Exception, thats great to know. Phew! I feel better.

I sometimes wish lightwave would do the painting thing, could do without the sculpting but the painting would be nice.

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starprog View Post
    I sometimes wish lightwave would do the painting thing, could do without the sculpting but the painting would be nice.
    Yes that would be nice.
    You should know that modo is actually built upon modeler, since luxology was formed by former members of Newtek. They continued developing the modeler side, and Newtek went on to develop the Layout side more. It's a touchy subject both on these and on the modo forums.

I am hoping that Lightwave 10 will get major modeler loving. Luxology has shown what can be done on that front, so there are some examples how to do certain things better... and worse.

There is a great software for painting and sculpting and it has great support for lw objects.
    and its very cheap, and definitely it worth. Model in lightwave and paint,sculpt in 3d coat. It has a great interface too, you'll learn the software in couple of hours.

http://www.3d-coat.com/
    Last edited by waly; 03-28-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    work work day and night just to see a ray of light.

My only complaint about Modo so far is it's support service.

I joined their forum under 'pumeco' and then never visited for ages. Later though, I couldn't get in because I'd forgotten my password. I've contected their support no less than four times now, asking them to email me my password. This was spread over a good year, and I'm still waiting.

What's funny is that they have the gore to send me emails tempting me to buy a copy.

3D-Coat takes care of all of that and more. And at $89.00 is an extraordinary buy.

I even have Zbrush: 3dc get results faster, with less hassle.

Modo has gone far. But they have quite a bit to go. Blender offers more than both...

Quote Originally Posted by starprog View Post
    I felt like I was high jacked
    Luxology do a very good of selling / marketing Modo, as a Modeler / renderer it's very capable, and the images are stunning.

BUT! Aside from the painting and the displacement, you can do everything in LightWave and more.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on all of you on the lightwave forums. Thanks so much, I feel much better now. These things are true what you say, I can accomplish so much with lightwave. Oh and thnks waly for the link to 3d coat. It seems like it is going to fill that painting on surface void.

Too many Modo tools are in child's shoes. A few good fast tools, but not even functional poly reduction nor tangent space n. maps. It's too primitive for a modeler. The modo trial has taken my money twice, and nerves too.

Well hmm, 895 US dollars, the painting/sculpting tools are okay-ish but you are in trouble with highres meshes. UV display is good but tools produce errors.

Quote Originally Posted by pumeco View Post
    I've contected their support no less than four times now, asking them to email me my password. This was spread over a good year, and I'm still waiting.
    Someone probably clued them in to your strange feelings about David Hasselhoff. I wouldn't return your emails either after that.

Blog Entries
    How long have You Had LightWave ??

LightWave + Modo = Powerful Combination ...

I do not have Modo, I tried there Demo 30 day thingy, was not to impressed with it....Of course the 30 day thingy was to short, out of the 30 day trial I was able to go 3 or 4 days with it, it should be like a 30 day [equivalent of 30 days= 720 hours Timed [IMHO]]

Oh Well Modo lost....Might try it again... Maybe

I said LightWave First Then Modo
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptor®300gig

I use both Lightwave and modo at work as well as many other apps.
    Most of the time, I use lightwave. Modo just doesn't cut it for me yet.
    Only 32 bit. Very limited animation.
    Lightwave is really a great choice is you have to pick just one application.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast