Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good CAT5 Solutions

CAT5 ... The Cat's Meow?

Quote Originally Posted by jh4wvu View Post
    Any thoughts on the true advantage of going with a cat5 system?
    McClaflin Mobile Media just delivered a 3 camera PTZ system to WGTE.

There is nothing wrong with running 3 cables per camera. It takes a bit longer to do, but the end result is the same. Traditional cable is generally a cheaper solution. CAT5 is quickly gaining in popularity for longer cable runs. While CAT5 may be a good solution in certain scenarios, it is by no means the only solution. It is simply an alternative. Baluns come in a vast variety. Stay away from cheaper imports. Anyone that has ever looked inside knows that many of the cheaper units seem to have evolved. Meaning, No intelligent design. CAT5 cable selection is also very important. Cheaper cable yields disappointment. If you plan to run your PTZ Cameras over a shorter distance, say 100’, S-Video should be just fine.

D. McClaflin
    McClaflin Mobile Media
    http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wgtem3tcprs17animated.gif 
Views:	257 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	64263  

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    As ask for here are more CatBox pics for your viewing pleasure:

This model was custom designed to connect directly to the HD110 cameras via 6" RCA tails from the box. They use a Production InterCom PL system for communications. That is the XLR cable you see plugged in. The Cat5 cables colored Red for COM and Green for VIDEO are plugged into the other end of the box. The Red thing by the XLR on the back is the almighty Tally Light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YUVCamBoxonJVC110sideview.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	65439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YUVCamBoxonJVC110.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	65440  
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Hello Guys,

Did anyone try this solution from Black Box?
    http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail...o-Balun/IC449A
    I know Black Box has a good reputation in terms of quality. I am really thinking to try Black Box CAT-5 solutions.

Daniel

CAT5 cable and baluns

Daniel,

Check out svideo dot com website before you do. They've got everything and then some.

Good luck

Thankyou for your help! Before I decide to buy what I need, did you try the Muxlab 500034? If yes, could you tell me the quality of the video over CAT-5?

Anything new on this front?
    Specifically a component video and tally solution?

Thinking of using the Svideo.com solutions and running tally over the "mono audio" connection.
    Last edited by rally1; 03-11-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Newbie Member

Audio?

Quote Originally Posted by brians0105 View Post
    I can testify for Jef's Cat5 products. We have the dual cable option because we send the following to each camera via Cat5:
    - Component video
    - Tally light
    - Intercom

When we do sports remotes and don't need the component camera signals, we often run three composite cameras down one Cat5 box instead of 1 component camera.

These solutions save plenty of time and work, especially for remote productions!

Brian
    So what are you using for the audio feed?
    Steve
    Video Gear Shop
    Hot Springs National Park, AR

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    As ask for here are more CatBox pics for your viewing pleasure:

This model was custom designed to connect directly to the HD110 cameras via 6" RCA tails from the box. They use a Production InterCom PL system for communications. That is the XLR cable you see plugged in. The Cat5 cables colored Red for COM and Green for VIDEO are plugged into the other end of the box. The Red thing by the XLR on the back is the almighty Tally Light.
    Jef - have tried to contact you via your web site and Hotmail. Did you receive?
    Steve
    Video Gear Shop
    Hot Springs National Park, AR

Quote Originally Posted by DAV-3 View Post
    Jef - have tried to contact you via your web site and Hotmail. Did you receive?
    Sorry Steve, I was out all last week doing the DII NCAA championships. We actually were using our latest design for one of the 3 venues. We had right at 500' of each cable run stretched to the trailer with 2 VTs inside to do a simultaneous switch of both Wrestling and Swimming/Diving.

Everything worked perfectly, even after a dummy with a pallet jack rolled over the cable crossing multiple times before I locked him in a closet.

I am back in the office this week so feel free to call me to discuss your needs. 877-860-9283 or best email jef at pizazzme dot com

Look forward to speaking with you. I will also try to reach you directly from my end.

BTW Our latest box design is Component/Tally/Com. As Brian mentioned, you can use the Component for 3 Composite feeds also if needed. Or 1 composite return video and 1 Y/C send to the switcher. Lots of flexibility.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

A quick, dirty and unscientific picture quality over balun example:

Source - ATT Uverse DVR, component out.
    Capture- screen shot of live output window.
    Baluns: svideo.com component video.

1000ft over stranded CAT5e
    6ft over stranded CAT5e
    Straight thought component cables

As you can see you lose color and sharpness at that distance. I will try to experiment with different lengths, and capture example footage time permitting.
    Last edited by rally1; 03-21-2009 at 02:47 PM.

NewTek Certified Operator - TriCaster Professional Line
    TC 460 8000 / ATEM 4K 1 M/E
    Elemental Live / Teradek Cube/Bond / Wirecast 6
    Panasonic HE120 Sony F55/F5/FS7/EX3
    LinkedIn

Newbie Member
    Does anyone have any experience using stranded vs solid core Cat-5 cable with baluns for mobile production? I'm tempted to use stranded cable as it would be much more conducive to being wound up at the end of each shoot, whereas with the solid core i'd be afraid of it breaking at some point from being constantly moved. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hey Concord (a lovely city where I spent three of my formative years ):

I'm not sure this helps much, as I've never worked with solid-core, only stranded, but the stranded would be MUCH more portable, I'd think, and the solid-core doesn't seem like it'd have a big -- if any -- conduction advantage.

In fact, depending on how cheaply you can find it (you can get 1000' of stranded Cat 5E for under $100), and how much abuse it'll take during your shoots, you can even make it single-use if you need to.

And while I'm here, Rally, thanks so much for those shots -- they were a big help in deciding that we could JUUUST get away with 1000' runs for a rowing webcast we did recently. (We actually brought three composite video signals in over one 1000' run of 5E.) It was a huge help to see an actual real-world example, with pictures and everything.

-steve

Good to hear things worked out for you Steve.

On the Stranded vs. Solid Cat5 post....

Solid Cat5 will definitely break down much sooner than Stranded. It is just not engineered to turn sharp turns and be handled like a cable in video production is usually handled.

In my experience of testing and using several several several different manufacturers of Cat5 cable, I have found that the Clark Wire and Cable that we sell to our clients is as close to perfect for video production as you can get. The FlexCat5 cable is tactical grade and has the flexibility of a quality mic cable like Mogami or my favorite Canare. Regarding flexibility, I am talking about how easy it is to roll and/or spool up long runs of the cable. One of my clients has a 500' run of the DualCat5 cable for football events. They can roll it up just like a CCU or Triax cable. The single Flex Cat5 can roll in your hand just like you would a Canare mic cable. No fighting, cussing or unkinking the cable as you roll it.

I have used the DataTwist from Belden also and while it is a step up from standard Cat5, I still rank the Clark cable above it. I find the Datatwist harder to roll and definitely harder to install Cat5 connectors on.

While I would never recommend someone allowing a truck to roll over their cable runs, we have had that happen a couple times on a event before the cable ramps were down. I suspected the worse but after running a few tests with my trusty cable tester. Things were all good. This was one of the special Dual FlexCat5 cables we had Clark build us for our NCAA and other PIZAZZ balun box clients. Regarding those Balun boxes, I have tested practically all of the non powered manufactures and there is definitely a difference in the lower end cheap versions and the higher end quality versions. Differences in video quality, differences in reliability, and differences in signal distance capability.

To me I look at good quality cable as just a worthwhile investment just like a good camera.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    To me I look at good quality cable as just a worthwhile investment just like a good camera.
    Jef, that's a great point, and previous comments notwithstanding, I totally agree. (Which is why I bought a run of that Cat 5 from you! )

My most recent comment was colored (or as Steve B. would say, 'coloured') by the fact that I just got back from flying commercial in and out of a gig, and managed to get all the gear I needed into carry-on/checked luggage -- except for 4000' of Cat 5. My solution in this case was to buy it cheaply on site -- and yes, it did not perform as well as 'better' Cat 5/6/7 would have -- and leave it in the dumpster after the gig. Total cost of shipping the Cat 5 in this scenario: $0.

But yeah, especially over long runs, the higher-quality stuff you can get, the better. Has anyone tried Cat 6 or even Cat 7 (which I never even knew existed) for carrying video signals?

-s

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by D3Cast View Post
    Has anyone tried Cat 6 or even Cat 7 (which I never even knew existed) for carrying video signals?

-s
    I bought three 1000' spools of Belden VideoTwist Cat 6, and found that I lose about 50% of chroma info using the full 1000' and man does it look ugly putting color bars thru it and looking at it on scopes.

It is carrying a full D1 composite signal to computers to use FME to stream 400x300 with and I can pull out enough of the chroma by jacking it to 11 in the FME device control panel so it looks good for a web stream, but I would hate to try and run the full D1 all the way to projectors with it.

Physically the cable is awesome. Flat not round and much more heavy duty than the Cat5 we were using.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/03Belden_...r/15.70_82.pdf

http://www.markertek.com/Interface-S...-0131000.xhtml

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast