Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 things that I WANT in 2.0

3 things that I WANT in 2.0

1. We need WAY MORE Video effects than we have. We actually don't really have any usable ones other than defielding but any system should make slow motions and picture look smooth anyway.

I want to see glowing effects, old film, light rays, sepia that actually works and doesn't look orange and like over 100 more. Us wedding videographers want to add an effect to Speed Edit rather than make clips to bring into Vegas. Then have to render and bring back to VT. Why did I spend $10,000 for my system to then buy a $120 program that makes my $2000 videos look like $4000 ones. And it wastes my time using a whole other program.

Anyone agree???? I also think we shoud get a free 2.0 upgrade!

2. Slow motion that isn't buggy and flows better than previous versions.

3. I want the option to keep the audio on 1 and 2 tracks rathar than it falling onto each line below. This makes for a harder re-edit in the future. I see A/B row track editing and that doesn't fix it. Why do we want to search to line 450 for an audio track. It should be right under it's video!!!! BIG PROBLEM!

Las Vegas Toaster
    Well on your #3 comment you can put your audio anywhere you want... for me haveing tracks 1 & 2 set as audio would do me no good as I often have 10+ tracks of audio which I arrange them around tracks 15 - 20.

#1 I agree...

#2 I agree...

as for a free upgrade I assume you are new to Newtek products... I would assume the next upgrade will be a free upgrade. Normally until they get things running smooth they hand out frre upgrades.
    Brett Beanan

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    I also think we shoud get a free 2.0 upgrade!

Why should we get a free 2.0 upgrade?

For what reason do you think Newtek should not make money? Is it because you didn't research the software enough before you bought it to see if it does everything you need?

If it works like the VT suite (and most software products) Point issues are paid and increments are free.

Your requests are quite valid, particularly #1. I have to be honest, though, in that I believe what you've done is what you will be doing into the foreseeable future.

#3 is a no-no. It's just not part of the prevailing paradigm.

If we could get 1000 posts in support, we might have a chance. But I don't believe #1 is a priority for NT.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    #3 is a no-no. It's just not part of the prevailing paradigm.
    Maybe a user option?

"Associate Audio with Video Tracks"
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Las Vegas Toaster
    Newtek should make money I'm just saying normally they will hand out a few free upgrades to fix issues (like the slow mo and a bunch of others) until they got it about 99% there. Then they will work on a MAJOR upgrade then release that as a paid upgrade (which if you look at VT being a $5k initial and then the upgrades costing $500.... One may assume a $500 initial SE, upgrade will be $50)
    Brett Beanan

I didn't know effects or DVE's are hard to add to a program. I heard there were more being added to Speed Edit but I couldn't get an answer as to which ones. SO I tried to do research.

When I bought my system in 2005, all I was told was it was THE BEST. I didn't realize at the time I needed something a lot simpler. It was my first editor purchase and thought I was getting THE BEST!

I only shoot weddings. That's it. Now I'm regreting the fact I paid $10,000 rather than $3500 for Final Cut. FC makes beautiful wedding videos. NT does very little for me. Finally realizing this after 3 years. MY FAULT!

I fear, LittleSpig04, that this is a lament that has been shared by many. What they offer is good stuff but it's not as complete as many of the other packages out there. As well, your requests are requests that have been made even before 2k5.
    Many of us have the $50, $125, and $3000 add ons that you speak of to get the job done for exactly this reason.

Having said that, I would say that if you are able to get what you need out of your present system, even if you are using other apps in the process, then do the work and earn money. THIS will be your fault: to earn money for future endeavors and investments.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    No way would a full integer upgrade be free, that simply wouldn't happen, nor should it, nor has it in the past.

I wouldn't expect the next upgrade to be only $50, either.

As for your number one, well, there are a number of reasons why that can't happen at this point. The main reason is this isn't the SpeedEDIT paradigm. The SpeedEDIT paradigm and the VT-EDIT paradigm before it do NOT support effects tied to clips, and without that, really useful filters and such just will not happen. Bob Tasa made some good filters, but with the same limit of affecting EVERYTHING above them, well, they simply aren't as useful as clip level effects. I don't see you finding a set of filters in SpeedEDIT that can rival what you get with Vegas Pro 8 any time soon.

SpeedEDIT and VT-Edit were ALWAYS promoted with the flash of DVEs, not with filter effects. Canned DVEs are their forte.

As for your number two, slow motion. Well, frankly, I don't see how Newtek can claim that SpeedEDIT is marketed to wedding editors now without that feature. Granted, all editors need that ability, but especially wedding ones. Since we haven't gotten it yet and SpeedEDIT has been out as long as it has already, I'm not that optimistic of getting it soon. Realize, this is a feature that was promised from the beginning, in writing.

As for your number three, again, not in the SpeedEDIT/VT-EDIT paradigm. The paradigm is TRACKLESS editing, that's why you see them moving. There is NO SUCH THING as tracks in SpeedEDIT. This is needed for the storyboard/timeline duality, but causes the results you see.

One can always request and hope, though. You never know.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSpig04
    I want the option to keep the audio on 1 and 2 tracks rathar than it falling onto each line below...
    Your post, LittleSpig, seems to suggest you've looked for a remedy in PREFERENCES -- but have not succeeded at getting SpeedEDIT™ to place your audio wherever you wish.

That intrigues me. Have you stumbled upon a bug, or might something me awry with your install? While I'm at it, allow me to mention that you can unlink the audio from an A/V clip, then move the audio separately -- but you already know that, correct?
    -PeterG
    Last edited by CreatvGnius; 03-07-2008 at 01:28 PM.

2.0 a free upgrade? Are you kidding me? Lets get real folks its a full integer upgrade. the 2.x upgrades may be free if Newtek chooses

If Newtek based their business on free integer upgrades for their products,there would be no Newtek.

I just realized Eugene said this in an earlier post. So Im going on record as agreeing with Eugene
    Last edited by KSTAR; 03-07-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Kevin Washington

Peter,
    No, you aren't reading his post with understanding it seems.

He's saying he wants to be able to LOCK it to a space vertically on the timeline. That is to say, this little piggy only takes audio.

hehe, I thought that was cute.

It goes against the paradigm to quite a degree, both philosophically and technically. It would take some serious bowel fixin's to get SE to do it the way suggested. Or so it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by CreatvGnius
    Your post, LittleSpig, seems to suggest you've looked for a remedy in PREFERENCES -- but have not succeeded at getting SpeedEDIT™ to place your audio wherever you wish.

That intrigues me. Have you stumbled upon a bug, or might something me awry with your install? While I'm at it, allow me to mention that you can unlink the audio from an A/V clip, then move the audio separately -- but you already know that, correct?
    -PeterG

Keeping in mind the video is on track 1, I'm looking to place one clip on the timeline and have the audio on line 2, then drag in another clip and have the audio on line 3, then the next on line 2 and so forth. I would like it to do that on its own without moving each piece of audio on those 2 "tracks" because it could move a little and be off sync. I'd rather not take that chance.

SO, if I need to re-edit the audio in a finished project, I have to find the video clip, scroll ALL THE WAY to the bottom making sure the cursor stays in that spot. Say I delete that piece of audio then need to move the audio before and after, I will again need to search for those two audio clips instead of seeing them all next to each other. Make sense?

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    It certainly makes sense. It's just you're saying you need a track based NLE. Well, SpeedEDIT is NOT a track based NLE.

You may have a bone to pick with whoever told you that SpeedEDIT/VT was the best solution for your needs.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

As Eugene said, some of the blame for your surprise falls on a crappy sales guy or friend that didn't listen to what you needed/wanted. Or you didn't ask enough questions.
    The biggest blame falls on you.
    When investing in any hardware or software, I first evaluate what I NEED, and what I WILL NEED in the near future.
    I then do my homework, never relying on one or two guy’s claims of what is "BEST".
    I've been buying gear for 30 years and have rarely been unhappy with my decisions.

All my home work has resulted in finding VT and SpeedEDIT IS THE BEST for us. Sure, I have a list of what I would like to see added to VT-SE but I don't pretend to be a victim by not having what I want.

FWIW, NewTek added v1.2, 1.5 and 1.5.1 for free. When companies move to a complete version # you pay. Check any of Adobe's upgrades.
    It cracks me up when people want all these changes for no more money. Or act like a feature in SE that's different then another company makes that functionallity wrong. I chose VT-SE BECAUSE it isn't exactly like other programs and in MANY ways it FAR BETTER then other programs.
    There will always be loose ends in any software but NewTek isn't milking any one's bank account and usually goes way beyond what most companies will do.

If I'm reading you wrong I don't intend to sound harsh. It just sounds like you're trying to sound like a victim. But most everyone does now days.
    Off my box.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast