Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: implement smart rendering

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    I would love to have a 64bit version of SE for this reason alone.
    But only if it made that process faster... 1000 icons can be cached on a 32bit system easily, so the bottleneck seems to be somewhere else.
    And if they are not cached to start with, they need to be rendered. Again, no performance gain from switching to 64bit.

Now, if SE would run out of memory constantly, there'd be a point. But I found it not to be ressource hungry in terms of memory used...

Cheers,
    Mike

I would not quibble with Mike, who is much better versed in such matters than I am, but my thinking has been that the benefits of a 64bit path and memory space would be primarily in the realm of 'things rendered' - like MPEG2 conversions, for example.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    I would not quibble with Mike, who is much better versed in such matters than I am...
    Lol... let's argue that point

The thing is, even 32bit CPUs can already handle some datatypes as 64-bit, especially once SSE-2 (or higher) come into play.
    And since only a few computations really benefit from them, that doesn't make much of a difference.

Also, 64-bit code is a bit larger and generally uses a bit more memory, but that is offset by the fact that it also has a few more possibilities to handle variables (more registers, which is only true for x64 CPUs - not in general for 64-bit CPUs).

So basically, the biggest gain is from being able to access more than 2/3GB per process...

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    Lol... let's argue that point

The thing is, even 32bit CPUs can already handle some datatypes as 64-bit, especially once SSE-2 (or higher) come into play.
    Hah! I win! You have just demonstrated I was right (you clearly have a much more in-depth knowledge of the subject)

Trifle with me at your peril! ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    Hah! I win!

Cheers,
    Mike

Well...
    Didn't want to hear that...

Yeah, you can see the process of caching as it works to catch up with where you want to go.

And yes, Steve, Mike is quite versed in these things. And you are such a nerd in your efforts to be right. roflmao

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    Well...
    Didn't want to hear that...
    Lol ... sorry, erm, have a to cheer you up then!

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    You'd probably loose out on 95% of all (AVI) video codecs, probably more so. There's only a few 64-bit codecs available.
    You nailed that one.

Codecs are DLL's, actual running code. You can't mix 32bit and 64bit code in the same process, so you will be totally dependent on having all your codecs be 64bit. That's not many.

However, SpeedEDIT can use up to 4GB of RAM if it is available on a 64bit system, so it's really the best compromise at this point in time.

Most non-server motherboards top out at 4GB, but if you have the capacity, using 4GB for SpeedEDIT, 2GB for the OS and more for running other simultaneous applications will work extremely well.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins
    Most non-server motherboards top out at 4GB...
    *argh* Sorry - no. Most motherboard sold in the past 12-18 months or so (if they have 4 RAM slots that is... leaving out a few mATX boards) can handle 8GB. That includes any using the current intel P3x series of chipsets and all AM2+ motherboards.
    Not only that, but RAM is dead cheap at the moment. A full 8GB is around 160€ over here at the moment (~US200 excluding our VAT).

Cheers,
    Mike

Hey, I qualified my answer with *most*

My point was that at this point in time, 4GB for the application is going to do more users, more good given the huge trade-off in codec availability.

Even if you have 64GB, but no codecs, it isn't all that useful.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

I know, so did I

Cheers,
    Mike

64 bit

My point was that at this point in time, 4GB for the application is going to do more users, more good given the huge trade-off in codec availability.

Even if you have 64GB, but no codecs, it isn't all that useful.
    Ok so what about implementing smart rendering together with background rendering i am sure these combined would be great kick *** features.

Ric
    Beam me up Scotty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12