Thread: .avi files not conforming in edit track

Newbie Member

Exclamation .avi files not conforming in edit track

Whenver I bring an .avi video file down to the editing track in VT5 SpeedEdit, sometimes it will conform so that I can see the audio waves. Other times, it won't. It seems like the larger the file is, the longer it takes to conform, but when it's on the track for 10 minutes and still doesn't conform, it's a little irritating. I can still play the video and hear the audio, but I can't figure out why it's not conforming. This also happens sometimes with video formats other than .rtv, such as .mov, .avi, and .mpeg.

Any suggestions?

Windows XP running VT5.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    This is a bit of a known 'bug' across all editors. Some folks don't seem to ever have the problem. Some do. I do. In Speed Edit and VT4.6. But like you not all the time.

Couple things to try:
    Shut down VT dig into the Newtek Info folder within the folder of your footage and delete the audio files it created. You can delete the whole Newtek Info Folder if you wish, VT will reconstruct them at restart.
    This folder is Newtek's temp folder for files in each folder.

From what I have seen, if you can hear the sound when you play or scrub, even if the waveform is not complete, you can edit, cut, chop, even render to a new file and all is fine. So you can start editing if need be.

If I am going to do a project with files that I think or know will give me no waveform right away, I open a separate SE or VT-Edit and thow the clips on to the timeline. then minimize and do some other work. Hopefully then when I am ready for those files the waveform is complete.

I am still looking for the fix it solution also...

Jim

This 'feature' also exists in Premiere...

I'm curious: if I were able to edit clips without the need of a waveform being displayed on the timeline (which I rarely use anyway) - would there still be a need to conform the audio? I mean, the video isn't conformed (I know it's all converted to an uncompressed state when editing, however that happens in real-time)....
    “The Difficult is that which can be done immediately; the Impossible is that which takes a little longer.”
    - George Santayana ...

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SCS
    I'm curious: if I were able to edit clips without the need of a waveform being displayed on the timeline (which I rarely use anyway) - would there still be a need to conform the audio? I mean, the video isn't conformed (I know it's all converted to an uncompressed state when editing, however that happens in real-time)....
    I don't want to speak globally, becasue there has been times that I could not even hear the audio until it was conformed, but at least for me, if I could hear the audio while it was being conformed, I could render the project to a new file (with audio) before conforming was finished.

Maybe I got lucky or something