Thread: Geforce 8800GT & Vista Problem

Geforce 8800GT & Vista Problem

Hi all I'm not sure the best way to describe this problem but I have installed a Geforce 8800GT card from a ATI 1950XTX on Vista 32bit system. For those that are not familiar with the above cards the ATI is DX9 and the 8800 is DX10.

The problem is since the change when loading modeller or layout I can't see any models when loaded or created from new all I get is a grey background with no grid or model. Also when I'm in the Four view layout and drag the centre of the Four screens I get a copy pasted all over the monitor like it's leaving a trail behind it. Am I correct in saying that DX10 doesn't support openGL or am I on the wrong track ... please advise if you know of any settings on the card that can be changed that may help .. p.s all drivers are up to date

I've just attached a picture if this helps, believe it or not there's a car loaded into this screen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	54899  

Update to 9.3 and this should work fine ( I run LW on a 8600GT under Vista without any problem)

hope that helps

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    I'm running a 8800GT on Vista 64, LW 9.3.1 with no problems as well.

Not much help, I know...

Cheers,
    Mike

try zooming out... looks like you are really close to the car model.... kidding.

even though you have latest drivers, did you try uninstalling ATI drivers first and then re-installing the Nvidia drivers ? - might be a conflict there.

I've got the same problem with LW 9.3.1 but I do seem to notice from your answers that you seem to be on 64bit Vista, whilst I'm on 32bit although I can't see why that should be a problem. I've just had a break and played Crysis with no issues at all if that's any help. As for the ATI drivers I think that I managed to get rid of them all but if anybody can tell me where to look to check it would be a great help .. many thanks for the answers and help so far

Insane Carrot Cake Eater eagleeyed's Avatar
    Just to be certain that all ATi drivers that could conflict are off the computer, never to be trouble again I am pretty sure ATi offer a complete uninstaller program on their webpage, not sure if they do anymore, but when I made the switch from ATi to Nvidia a couple of years ago, I had problems with things till I ran that.

As said, it was a couple of years ago, it may not exist anymore. A google search may uncover it though.
    Because you can never have too much pudding.
    ----------
    LightWave 2015 - sprinkled with LW-Cad 5, TurbulenceFD, Advanced Placement and Choc Drops for extra flavour
    i7-2600, 16GB RAM, Win 10 Pro

It is likely Aero Desktop features from Vista interfering....

Try updating to the latest Nvidia drivers. Turn off the Aero Features, example right click on Modeler.exe and under the compatibility tab, choose (Run this program in compatibility for XPSP2) Try disabling the "Disable Visual Themes" and "Disable Desktop Composition"

I have a few graphic glitches (not as bad as yours) And I'm running G92 512Mb 8800GTS under Vista x64.
    Also the Vista Desktop is actually built on DX9, (Vista doesn't use DX10 for anything but DX10 games) So it's not a DX10 thing...
    I also would make sure all the Ati stuff is really gone.

As eagleeyed said, there is an "ATI Software Uninstall Utility". Mine is found in the Control Panel|Add or Remove Programs. I run that first, each time update my ATI drivers, so I would assume it would be good to run it even if changing t a different brand f video card.

But then, I'm using XP, not Vista.
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v431.60 (24jul19)

Firstly I would like to say thanks for all that have left a response to my problem and for taking the time to reply. I have managed to find the cure which is as follows: -

My card is an Asus version that comes with Two programs :-
    Asus Gamer OSD (from what I can gather this utility is for screen capturing games and movies).
    Also Asus Smart Doctor (which has an over clocking facility and also a way to keep a check on your fan speed and GPU temperature. When I uninstalled the Gamer OSD LW worked fine but the Smart Doctor needs the Gamer program to be installed so I just deleted both of them. Quite why these should affect LW in this way I have no idea but if anybody else should have the same problem then it’s here for all to read.)

On a different note I noticed that most people are using 64bit OS can a 32bit system be upgraded to 64bit or is it a case that it’s a complete fresh install and am I correct in saying that Vista 64bit doesn’t have to have signed drivers now?

Once again many thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Graphics card

64 bit would be an entirely new install. You might consider either backing up your 32 drive before you do or just put the 64 bit on another drive in case you need to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist.
    64 bit would be an entirely new install. You might consider either backing up your 32 drive before you do or just put the 64 bit on another drive in case you need to go back.
    Thanks I thought that might be the case but what about the sighned drivers?, has this situation got any better, I read somewhere that you can just overide it if you wish ... thanks