Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Too poor for a TabletPC- need something on the go?

Just don't buy one of the ones that comes packaged with a game- those seem to be inferior quality. They're most likely just fine for games...but when you're drawing on a small pressure sensitive screen you want every little bit of accuracy you can muster!

Oh, never heard that. I got an Onyx, no game.

It seems in general that the edge 1/4 of the pressure area doesnt work so well. Many folks reported that. Scroll your work to the center often, or just dont use the pressure sensitivity much.

Well geothefaust is real lucky then- his is almost perfect in every way. Mine right now is about 95% there on accuracy, and 65-70% on pressure accuracy. Still well beyond "usable" though!

The black and red one I tried the other day was horrible when it came to pressure sensitivity. It wouldn't even register in some areas no mater how hard I pushed nor what I calibrated the DS to. I'd read about those ones being not so hot though...maybe it was just this one that was so bad. As far as I know those were sold as a bundle deal with Brain Age. My first impression of it, before turning it on, was that it was made a lot cheaper in "feel" than my white DS lite.

so are you saying that there are different 'quality' nintendo ds's out there?
    or are you just saying the ds lite is inferior to the first nintendo ds?
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Sorry, I don't know about the older DS, only what I've read and experienced with the Lite version. So I'm saying that a few of the DS lites seem inferior over all. Nothing that would stop a game from being enjoyed/played on them, but might effect how Colors! operates.

In and ideal word you'd load colors! on the cart, then go to a place that has a few used DS lites for sale, and test them each out to find the best one. That or find a place with a generous return policy.

I'll be interested to find out how your older DS does with colors! as those are yet different set of screens than in the current crop of DS lites.

I personally rate cursor accuracy as a first priority THEN find the best pressure sensitive one as well after that. Most systems seem OK after running the calibration test though...
    Last edited by wacom; 02-19-2008 at 11:20 PM.

wacom,
    Thanks for the tips about this 2D paint program for the DS
    The ethereal riders gallop over the rooftops

The cursor accuracy on mine is fine. I use my Wacom stylus with the DS.
    A good test for the pressure is this:

Set the brush size to pressure with a medium size and opacity pressure off.

Then draw horizontal lines, start at top.
    With mine the lines change thickness at the edges of the screen.

Its not bad since I dont use the pressure feature much anyway. I just switch screens to set new opacities and brush sizes.

Tzan,
    Hey great tip about the pressure sensitivity with the Wacom stylus.

Hey posters, I learn alot from these threads, thank you so much Tzan and wacom.

I have a DS, I will have to order the paint program, I already have the stylus.

Somebody has already ordered here at work because of these threads, I hope they will let me test on their system first?
    The ethereal riders gallop over the rooftops

I thought colors was free?
    You would have to order a card (R4 or something) to use homebrew stuff, right?

mike
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

colors is free...open source.

maybe he's taking about 'paint by DS' from atari which is due out on the 24feb and is a commercial paint game/app' based around the paint by numbers of old 70's painting kits.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Bluerider and painting by numbers ?
    (I guess not)

Maybe he didn't noticed it's free.
    Or the guys at work (who already 'ordered') said they would 'order' him one for say 50 bucks...
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead
    based around the paint by numbers of old 70's painting kits.
    I got one of those back then. It was fun. I did an oil painting of George Washington.

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    Yeah, Colors is free. All you need is a homebrew card and a micro SD card.

It's pretty great. I try to use it everyday.

I did some searching, and it looks like the R4 was not being manufactured most of February, but it will commence again in late February / late March.

A great site to get it from is www.realhotstuff.com (Direct link for R4 http://www.realhotstuff.com/r4ds-c-56.html )
    This is where I got mine, they shipped it quick (1.5 days!), and they have the best price anywhere. It also looks like they will be getting in stock before most other sites. They will get it back in stock 29FEB08.

Hi,

I picked up a DS Lite at Game Spot a couple of days ago and ordered my R4 from a vendor on Amazon. It shipped yesterday and should be arriving any day now. Can't wait; Colors actually looks like it could be useful to me, not to mention a whole lot of fun.

In the meantime, I'm having fun with the DS Lite and trying to talk other guys here in the Box to get one too. Some of us have PSPs and we used to play Wipeout over the WiFi every breaktime. But after a while we got bored with the device, and these days we only use our PSPs for showing off our demo reels and short films, if even that much. I think we were all disappointed when Sony locked up the OS which pretty much killed homebrew activity for the PSP; for that reason, I think the DS's openness might possibly appeal more to us 'artist' type, especially with programs like Colors being developed.

Anyway, thanks for making me aware of the DS and Colors. Just the idea of this combo alone is very cool.

DRG

Quote Originally Posted by bluerider
    Somebody has already ordered here at work because of these threads, I hope they will let me test on their system first?
    I have it on mine. Come find me next week.

---JvdL---

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast