Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google earth in Lightwave plugin

Google earth in Lightwave plugin

Wouldn't i be great if there was a plug-in that enables you to implement Google earth or Google maps in Lightwave?

I always see these zooming animations from space to earth. Almost every 3d artist has made a globe once in his life, right? I think most people use printscreen in google earth to get the textures.

I think a plug-in (maybe a node) that implements Google earth in lightwave is a real timesaver. Than you don't have to struggle with extreme big textures and /or you don't have to press printscreen until you finger hurts!

Who's with me!!!

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    I'm sorry to say, but it would be illegal to distribute it or access the google earth data like that.
    There was a standalone tool from a russian programmer released a few months ago that did just that - extract the images from google earth. And boy did the site get pulled quickly (I can just see the army of google laywers).

Having said that ... plug, plug: infiniMap can get you close with the right data (some of it available for free).

Cheers,
    Mike

mmm bummer!! But still it would be awesome if such plug was out there!

this is a cool program which extracts google images and stitches them back together! http://google-maps-image-downloader.uptodown.com/en/

bg
    Did anyone see where Microsoft and Caligari will be working together on MS Virtual Earth 3D ....project?

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespac...9557#post59557

Not sure what that means...

I'm not sure you want to fork over the $300-400 per year, but I'm pretty sure that Google offers a professional version of Google Earth that you can use in your projects.

The nightly news broadcasts often use Google Earth to show locations of news stories. Also, there is a program called NASA Worldwind that gives you pretty nice coverage of the globe. You'd just have to check on their licensing agreement on whether, or not you can use the images in commercial projects.

AL

I think everything from NASA is public domain. Don't quote me on that though.
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Worldwind is also not as good resolution as the best of GE, but has some other nice features (exagerate terrain by 2x or 5x etc.)

j.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by THREEL
    I'm not sure you want to fork over the $300-400 per year, but I'm pretty sure that Google offers a professional version of Google Earth that you can use in your projects.

The nightly news broadcasts often use Google Earth to show locations of news stories. Also, there is a program called NASA Worldwind that gives you pretty nice coverage of the globe. You'd just have to check on their licensing agreement on whether, or not you can use the images in commercial projects.

AL
    yup. We us it at work all the time. It allows you to save out as high of resolution as the pics are and also render avi's of your tours and such. Totally worth it for what we do at the DA's office but maybe not for everyone.
    64 bit Win 7 Enterprise
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon Quad Core 2.93GHz
    RAM 24.0 GB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
    Driver Version 259.81

Quote Originally Posted by inigo07
    I think everything from NASA is public domain. Don't quote me on that though.
    I was wondering when someone was going to make that point. All the images that google uses is from USGS satellites. You can use the "images" all you want. Google doesn't own them. You just can't use the code. But if you've seen the code, it truly is awesome. The DoD bought the rights to the original code and we were using it in custom GPS enabled cameras by Richo. Really cool project. They're using it in Iraq right now for scout patrols.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by HopperZ
    All the images that google uses is from USGS satellites. You can use the "images" all you want. Google doesn't own them.
    Not quite.
    a) Google licenses the images.
    b) You can't use the images all you want
    c) Especially the higher res images (anything beyond 15m/pixel) are not from USGS satellites but from commercial providers.

Check the copyright messages on the views and google for them.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    Not quite.
    a) Google licenses the images.
    b) You can't use the images all you want
    c) Especially the higher res images (anything beyond 15m/pixel) are not from USGS satellites but from commercial providers.

Check the copyright messages on the views and google for them.
    Ahhh. It's been a couple of years since then. I know they started out using USGS and there was some sort of conflict when they wouldn't allow Google to use 3m data. I didn't know they had gone to commercial providers. My bad.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    I'm sorry to say, but it would be illegal to distribute it or access the google earth data like that.
    There was a standalone tool from a russian programmer released a few months ago that did just that - extract the images from google earth. And boy did the site get pulled quickly (I can just see the army of google laywers).

Having said that ... plug, plug: infiniMap can get you close with the right data (some of it available for free).

Cheers,
    Mike
    Not knocking you guys, it looks like an amazing program... Too bad there's not a hobbiest version. I'd love to be able to map hires images, but I just can't afford $400 again for fun. My wife is still kicking my *** for buying FPrime back when it came out!

I didn't know there was a proffesional version.... Going to check that out!!! Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by IgnusFast
    Not knocking you guys, it looks like an amazing program... Too bad there's not a hobbiest version.
    Well, not a hobbyist version as such.... but wait a few weeks (one or two...).

Cheers
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast