Thread: Seamless audio cross-fades

I am new here...

Seamless audio cross-fades

I suggest to replace linear audio cross-fades, which currently give the falloff of audio volume in the middle of the cross-fade, with the ones utilizing the natural human ear's logarithmic sensitivity. See the discussion here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79471 .
    Thanks.

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by xpycm
    I suggest to replace linear audio cross-fades, which currently give the falloff of audio volume in the middle of the cross-fade, with the ones utilizing the natural human ear's logarithmic sensitivity. See the discussion here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79471 .
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon within the thread: SpeedEDIT General Suppport > Audio transitions
    ...Yes there is a better way. You can set up audio splines for both fade in and then fade out, which I will describe below, and save them as presets in the toolshed, (I call mine AudioFadeIn1Sec and AudioFadeOut1Sec). Here is where to position the two nodes and one influence to get a nearly perfect cross fade.

Fade IN: 2nd node at 1 second in and at unity (0dB change), 1st node at beginning of clip and at -60 dB or lower (the change in volume is not going to be heard by going down to -120 dB). Without an "influence" this will produce a straight line - not what we need. Add an "influence" at halfway and drag it up to the corner that intersects the beginning of the audio clip and 0dB change. IOW, directly above the first node and exactly left of the second node.

FadeOut: I think you can figure it out based on the example above.

What you should get in the spline window are perfectly smooth 1/4 sphere curves for both the fade in and fade out, so long as the x scale and y scale are the same, (you will have to adjust the "zoom" for both the x and y so they look roughly the same in order to see the 1/4 sphere shape on the curve). When the two audio clips overlap, there will be less than 1 dB difference (on mine it went up by about 1dB - most humans can only perceive a difference in volume when the level changes by about 3dB) at the midpoint.

By creating presets in the ToolShed, (highlight clip that has the spline, click "new" in the Toolshed and give it a name), you can apply these to all the audio crossfades, (assuming that they are all one second overlap), by highlighting all the audio clips, (use lasso and/or "Ctrl" + click), set Mode="Preserve From Start", (for fade in) and then "Perform". Do the same for the fade outs but set Mode="Preserve To End" and then "Perform".

Coming soon: SpeedEdit training from Kurv Studios
    :agree: Great stuff, there, Gordon! If memory serves me correctly, Sony Vegas does a great service to those who need a variety of preset options for fade types, making selection just a right mouse-click away!

I could wish NewTek might look into something along those lines as well. Eugene might be able to confirm what I'm suggesting here.
    -PeterG

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    As Peter correctly points out, Vegas has a ton of choices on what type of curves you want for crossfades of audio or video, 20 different ones in fact.

In the past, I do remember there being problems with the automatic audio crossfades in VT-EDIT having holes in the middle, but then that was fixed, maybe it got broke again in SpeedEDIT?

Realize, it depends what scale is used on the waveforms, IF the scale is logarithmic, then a straight line crossfade like SpeedEDIT shows would be correct, since that straight line would NOT be representing a linear crossfade in that scale.

If the scale was linear, then the line would need to be logarithmic, and NOT a straight line linear curve in order to be correct for audio.

Cause normally, one doesn't want a hole in one's audio in a crossfade. If that is the current case in SpeedEDIT, I would call that a BUG. And I would encourage you to bug report it.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    As Peter correctly points out, Vegas has a ton of choices on what type of curves you want for crossfades of audio or video, 20 different ones in fact.

In the past, I do remember there being problems with the automatic audio crossfades in VT-EDIT having holes in the middle, but then that was fixed, maybe it got broke again in SpeedEDIT?...

"...normally, one doesn't want a hole in one's audio in a crossfade. If that is the current case in SpeedEDIT, I would call that a BUG. And I would encourage you to bug report it.
    Thanks for your supportive observations, Eugene.

What -- do you ocassionally do a search in this forum for the keyword, "Vegas"?

Kidding aside, I *figured* you'd come through!
    -PeterG