Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you eat today?

What did you eat today?

After 25 years in the food Industry, I had to retire due to my failing eyesight.

-That means I have to now focus on home cookery and wow, what a joy!

No more midnight finishes 6 nights a week and raiding the top-shelf liquor until 4 am on 3 of them. Split shifts; which take up 18 hours of the day, 750 ml glasses of Rum in the Larder fridge at 10 am, stove burns, pan burns, oil spat burns, grill burns, being fired for no reason, working with subalterns and customers who have their head up their ***, wreaking of grease, 120 F heat... sh!tty pay etc. etc. , but didn't we just love it at the time!

I have seen some terrible examples of 3D animators living on packet noodles and frozen pies for weeks on end!!!

How about a food segment? Cook to render, for example... how to prepare and cook food timed on auto-pilot/remote whilst doing other sh*t, like sitting at the computer?

Yeah, BS, but for example this kicks for better cuts of meat and fish;

(Dukkah)-Sesame seeds, coriander seeds. cumin seeds, sea salt and hazelnuts all ground up in a mortar to a breadcrumb type consistency and you coat your Lamb backstrap, Salmon slice/(delice), Chicken fillet etc. with it and bang it into a hot oven.

Low fat and does wonders for the meat!!! Beats Colonel Sander's 11
    supposedly secret herbs and spices.

M

Ooh that would go nicely with black beans and rice ("Moors and Christians" as the Spanish call it):

Boil black beans with diced onion, a cinnamon stick and bay leaves.

When soft, drain and mix with chopped parsley+basil, a zest of an orange (plus half its juice), olive oil, salt and pepper. Spoon into and mix with boiled rice. Great on its own, great as an accompaniment to meat.

What is best is it doesn't need much watching, so you can LightWave away while it cooks .

(I also love basmati rice cooked with mustard seed and cashews).

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Living on soup at the moment, not got time to do anything else as life decided to once again get "interesting".
    Too old to die young.

DB

Good going! Superstition aside, can't help but be on the side of the beans with Moors and Christians (Moros y Cristianos).

Yep, orange peel in any kind of stock for that sort of thing!!

How about Kedgeree?

-I grew up in London, never understood then that "salt and vinegar" was a hangover from the 12C French occupation and was "breakfast" for 300 years.

I think we are all F**ked up by kelloggs. Fish for breakfast, YUM!

M

Quote Originally Posted by colkai
    Living on soup at the moment, not got time to do anything else as life decided to once again get "interesting".

Colkai

Cool. Don't half envy the soup weather you must have over there though, it's 10 pm. here and still over 30 C/90 F.

m

Getting colder . they reckon snow / sleet for the weekend - Brrr.
    Too old to die young.

Getting colder . they reckon snow / sleet for the weekend - Brrr.

Very cool indeed!! I have a mate in Moscow and always keep a weather widget on Dashboard to ogle the cold from afar.

-I also find myself staring at the air conditioner...

Soup recipes si vous plais?

m

Heh, alas, Heinz Big Soup - nothing home made.
    Used to love my mums Lentil and ham shank soup though.
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by meshpig
    ...Soup recipes si vous plais?

m
    here's the easiest one for home: take your leftover pasta, chicken, whatever, dump it into the pot with one of those boxes of chicken stock they're selling just about everywhere now. bring to a boil, and done!

i don't know what you have on the store shelves down there mp, but here cans/boxes of stock (veg, chix, beef, fish) can now be found almost everywhere. as well as little jars of base (tho the chix base is a little too salty). very nice development imho.

nice dry rub btw i'm gonna use that one.

mp: did i read that right? you've been on the line for 25 yrs!!?? wow, i thought my ten was too long. maybe this thread could also turn into a kitchen confidential sorta thing and we can regale the kids with kitchen stories (regale or shock depending on your point of view ) like the intern who decided the parking lot would be the perfect place to strain the lobster stock!!
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

Heh, alas, Heinz Big Soup - nothing home made.
    Used to love my mums Lentil and ham shank soup though.
    Absolutely! Catch a butcher by the toe... if you can find one who isn't a supermarket.

-We are blessed here with our Ethnic diversity; Pork rolls from the local Vietnamese bakery have 3 layers of pork on warm bread if you are passing by early AM.

- One as a slice from a rolled shoulder, another as a sort of galantine, and then a pressed component... but a nicely (home) made chicken liver pate brings it all home with chili, loads of picked coriander, julienne of carrot, telegraph cucumber and a dash of fermented soy.

-$3!!!!

You can live on that!!!

m

You heat water up in your college 1 cup coffee maker, then pour it over your package of ramen noodles. Total cooking time, about 5 minutes. Then back to modeling.
    Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseDog
    here's the easiest one for home: take your leftover pasta, chicken, whatever, dump it into the pot with one of those boxes of chicken stock they're selling just about everywhere now. bring to a boil, and done!

i don't know what you have on the store shelves down there mp, but here cans/boxes of stock (veg, chix, beef, fish) can now be found almost everywhere. as well as little jars of base (tho the chix base is a little too salty). very nice development imho.

nice dry rub btw i'm gonna use that one.

mp: did i read that right? you've been on the line for 25 yrs!!?? wow, i thought my ten was too long. maybe this thread could also turn into a kitchen confidential sorta thing and we can regale the kids with kitchen stories (regale or shock depending on your point of view ) like the intern who decided the parking lot would be the perfect place to strain the lobster stock!!
    MD

Ha! That's funny, straining stocks in the back-yard would be like Cafe confidential. Don't go there!

-Not precisely on the line for the whole time, pretty much varied, been there and everywhere. Boardrooms, Boarding Schools, Brothels, Boats... Hotels, Hostels, Haute Cuisine, Honeymoon restaurants.. it's all the same stuff.

Don't know what you'd tell the kids.

m

get a half chicken (with skin), sprinkle with goya adobo and pan fry with onions and olive oil until skin is crispy. goes great over rice

Get a pound of chicken. Put it in a crock pot with an Italian dressing seasoning packet, 1 package of cream cheese, and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. Let slow cook for 4-5 hours.

Great with rice.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast