Thread: Turn off "Auto Chop"

TC User Group

Turn off "Auto Chop"

I am working on a project for someone that has SE and we need to capture footage from a Sony HVR-Z1U as 1080i. Auto Chop is selected and grayed out, this is five hour seminar with three cameras that we need to sync up. The first tape went fine, the second tape made four separate clips. Was the ability to deselect Auto Chop removed? What am I missing?

Ivan

Auto-chop is permanently on for HDV, IIRC.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

TC User Group
    That's convenient. Now rather than syncing six one hour clips from three cameras we get to sync 20 or 30 fifteen minute clips off a single clapboard at the beginning of the tape? Cool!!!

Ivan

PS. The cameras were never shut off except to change tapes so not only is it Auto Chopping the clips, which we don't want, it's getting it wrong.

I have those same issues...........only I'm using SD - Dv so at least I have the option of turning auto chop OFF. Liked using it on single camera shoots but way to unpredictable as to "Where I might find a CHOP"????? Sure wasn't being chopped ONLY at TC breaks......

Bob S

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Note that if you have a dropped frame due to a dropout or something, that will trigger an autochop.

I've had autochop chop SD when it shouldn't, and upon checking it, there are no dropped frames or dropouts that I can see, and the camera didn't stop, so I'm not sure why.

Luckily, since there are no frames missing, I just butt them together and go.

I had a HDV I autochopped last night, and there was one chop where it shouldn't be, and then I checked, and it was an actual tape dropout, where I lost a full GOP! So really, I'm happy it showed me that, otherwise I might have missed it.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Just Curious........

IF it should ONLY chop at TC breaks, WHY would a dropped Frame that does NOT cause TC break cause AUTOCHOP? I too have simply butted the clips and on my way - However that means I MUST check EACH clip at the cut point to see WHY its chopped..... Time consumming at best.

Thanks,
    Bob S

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rs402931
    Just Curious........

IF it should ONLY chop at TC breaks, WHY would a dropped Frame that does NOT cause TC break cause AUTOCHOP? I too have simply butted the clips and on my way - However that means I MUST check EACH clip at the cut point to see WHY its chopped..... Time consumming at best.

Thanks,
    Bob S
    Well, I'm thinking a dropped frame does cause a TC break...
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I noticed the same problem. But in my case I lost several seconds not frames. When I recaptured without auto chop I was fine.

Jenny, I've never lost seconds. I've even used autochop with firewire from my Digital 8 home camera, (no time code), and couldn't notice frames missing much less seconds.
    What's your source and how are you feeding it?
    Has anyone else noticed this much of a loss? That's unacceptable and would really bite.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

The only thing I noticed was..... b4 i realized that autochop was NOT working Properly, I put a transition between two clips (that were autochopped in error) with a 2 second transition which caused it to "appear" as if 2 seconds were missing due to the due to the Auto IN/OUT offset. But Never saw any Actual missing frames caused by autochop.....

What does NewTek people say about this Issue????

Thanks,
    Bob S

Auto chop has always worked great for me except for one project. It's long gone now. Fortunately I had 5 cameras rolling and pieced the missing pieces together. The biggest problem was that the bad tape had the best audio on it. So...I'm not really sure what the real problem was.

I use a Sony DSR-11 deck w/ firewire. It has worked great except for that one project. Might have been something I did wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny L
    I noticed the same problem. But in my case I lost several seconds not frames.
    Unless you changed your prefs, losing a frame would look like you lost a couple of seconds when you drag the clips together into the timeline, or storyboard, because Speed Edit would automatically set in/out points a second in from the each end of the clip, to allow room for transitions.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.