Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creating a flag blowing in the wind

if you aren't having a problem with file sizes, say so and move on. what the f is this tirade about?
    I'm not having a problem with file sizes. Well, that's not entirely true - I wish they were bigger, and the videos longer, considering the man packs more info/sec than anyone else I've ever seen.

It's not my tirade, Jin, it's yours. Probably I overreacted, but people tend to defend others they respect.

If you come barging into one of those situations with some complaint about file size, what do you expect? Really. It's not like we're in the 56K days here.
    To me it seemed a complaint for its own sake, not a valid concern in these days.
    How long does this 25 meg file take for you, anyway?

Regardless of all the above, I did in fact lose my cool, and again I apologize for that. Doesn't meat I don't think it, just was too quick to type it.
    no comment

Quote Originally Posted by IMI
    I'm not having a problem with file sizes. Well, that's not entirely true - I wish they were bigger, and the videos longer, considering the man packs more info/sec than anyone else I've ever seen.

It's not my tirade, Jin, it's yours. Probably I overreacted, but people tend to defend others they respect.

If you come barging into one of those situations with some complaint about file size, what do you expect? Really. It's not like we're in the 56K days here.
    To me it seemed a complaint for its own sake, not a valid concern in these days.
    How long does this 25 meg file take for you, anyway?

Regardless of all the above, I did in fact lose my cool, and again I apologize for that. Doesn't meat I don't think it, just was too quick to type it.
    ugh, go ^&@$#% off newtek as much as you like. just don't slobber in public.

and what a ludicrously limited apology.... lol.

btw, i honestly couldn't care less what you think.

jin

and what a ludicrously limited apology.... lol.

btw, i honestly couldn't care less what you think.
    That was a "technical apology". Yes, it carried a disclaimer. Shall I apologize for that, as well? I suspect you prefer truth, considering your other posts on this site.

Ok, so you don't care what I think. I sort of doubt that, considering you're taking the time to respond, but that's cool.

This is the part where I'm supposed to say I don't care what you think either, but I'm not going to do that.

I do have to applaud you though, for your skill at turning this around and making me look like the crazy one here. It is an impressive skill. Not so sure how useful it is, but hey, a skill is a skill.
    no comment

lol... you're the one who was saying you were thinking it though you shouldn't have typed it.

i sincerely do not care what you think. if you don't open your pie hole (or let your ridiculous fingers fly), then i have nothing to say to you.

i'm turning this on you because you're the dope who created drama where there was none because someone dared to say something remotely critical of your boyfriend.

don't start cryin'. haven't you been enough of a [email protected]#$?

jin

The NewTek Discussion Forums are a private venue provided as a service to NewTek customers at NewTek's discretion. As such, the NewTek Discussion Forums are not a free speech zone, they are for professional and civil discourse regarding NewTek products by NewTek users.

The following items are not considered professional or civil discourse allowed on these forums:

* Off-topic and controversial subjects such as Religion and Politics
    * Comments of an "off color" nature inappropriate for viewing by minors
    * Non-constructive criticism of a malicious nature
    * Personal attacks against NewTek customers or employees and their family members
    * Promotional messages and material for competing products

Those who are unable to keep their posts on topic, unable to maintain responsible civil conversation with others or who have no purpose on the NewTek forums other than to promote competing products will have their accounts removed.

Moderation decisions are not subject to public discussion. If you have comments, send an email or private message to the moderators.
    NTComm is offline Report Bad Post
    A reminder to keep it civil guys. Not to mention on topic.

Personally I would like to see this thread get back on topic for those who came here for tips and tricks.

I' ve got to agree with Surrealist.

I came to this post to see 2 pages of posts on maybe different techniques and tips on making a flag move, but instead found 1 and a half pages of arguing.

Just in case this squabble influences William' s way he makes his videos, I' d just like to say I like the format they are in now. The majority of them are 10 MB or less, and the average is 20 MB, with a few above 30Mb. If I get 3 downloading at a time, they will take maybe 10 minutes each to download on a 2MB ADSL. The servers are going to be busy because so many people are downloading them.

Concerning the quality, I like the sharpness to them. I don' t want to see blurry text like it was recorded from a 10 year old VHS tape. I could never go back to watching video tapes now that I' m used to DVD quality, so I don' t see why tutorials have to be blurry and low res too.

It all comes down to what knowledge they contain is worth to you. If it' s something I don' t know, I' ll wait as long as it takes. I always appreciate knowledgeable people helping others ( Especially for free ), and I' ll gladly take whatever tips they want to share. And that' s not me sucking up to someone, there' s a difference between appreciating what someone does and idolizing someone.

Yes William is a part of Newtek, but he' s not in Newtek offices making these videos all day. He has other jobs to do, and I' m pretty sure he makes these in his spare time when he gets a chance.

So keep the videos coming and more discussion of what the videos are actually about please.

i'm turning this on you because you're the dope who created drama where there was none because someone dared to say something remotely critical of your boyfriend.

don't start cryin'. haven't you been enough of a [email protected]#$?
    What kind of an idiot thing is that to say?
    No "boyfriend". Not into that, you know. You really do sound like a spoiled little kid some times. I haven't heard anything like that since grade school.
    Other people have said critical things, but they manage to do it tactfully. Yes, I understand, that's not your way.
    No crying.
    What gets me, is you really don't see it. You really believe there was nothing wrong with your post. As far as you're concerned, it was a perfectly legitimate response, delivered in a perfectly polite way.
    I bet you actually wonder why you get these types of reactions all over this board, too.

Sorry, Surrealist, and everyone else who had to read this. I couldn't let that stand.
    no comment

I'm sending someone over from NewTek to clean this mess up....

but until then, just to set the record straight...

The videos will continue to be 800x600 and at the quality level that they are. The file size is quite small considering the size/quality/length. We live in a day where this file size is not out of the norm and it takes no time at all to download. I'd compare it to the download of a movie trailer except you learn something from it.

These videos are not a required download...if they are too large for you to download then skip em....there are plenty of written tutorials to keep you educated with LW.

Enjoy the videos......or dont......I know the majority of the community will

IMI and others, the best approach is to simply report posts when you find them offensive. Attempting to debate someone who clearly has no perspective on their own behavior is pointless.

Jin, you have two weeks off to try to gain some perspective on your forum behavior. You greet every disagreement with ad hominem personal attack rather than sticking to debating the ideas, and if anyone critiques your behavior, as happened here, you respond well out of proportion not merely with critique but with overwhelming insult.

Will do. You bet I won't be acting like again this anytime soon. I'll try my best not to, at least. I should have just ignored it, but what's done is done.
    I didn't want to see the guy get a timeout, though. I'm not exactly blameless in this. I'm also guilty of a certain amount of childishness.
    I don't know what I'm saying - just apologizing again to everyone who had to see all this.
    no comment

William great to see you stand by your product, i love the crisp detail of the videos and not having to get eye strain viewing a heavily compressed video.
    Keep doing them exactly as you are, quality counts.

If it takes longer to download thats fine, as i get to save them to my hard drive and review them anytime i want.

After all if your going to be placing these in the NT video tutorials site then you need to output a professional product, not some blurry, quasi-viewable mess.

These videos qualify as a pro product!

Thank you and keep the quality high.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamVaughan
    These videos are not a required download...if they are too large for you to download then skip em....there are plenty of written tutorials to keep you educated with LW.
    Yes they are, or they should be IMHO. I can read very well, but I'm not honestly much of a reader. I'm by far-and-away a visual learner, and William's tutorials are just the ticket for me to figure out how things work here. Nothing against how the manuals are written or laid out, but sometimes I have a problem following the manual to figure how a particular function is completed in .

BTW--I don't even have high speed Internet, and I still download these tutes, because they help me to become a better modeler/animator. Many times I'll download them while I'm asleep, so they won't affect my work in the daytime.

Also, I was wondering what people thought of the flag animation I posted in this thread. With the recent rash of trash talk, maybe viewers might have forgotten about it. I know it could have went in the WIP section, but William's video on this subject made me bring it out of moth balls. It's not the best quality of animation, but I wanted to show the waving motion to get opinions on that. Still trying to remember the exact procedure I used, and will update when I figure it out.

tHANX!!!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

The animation is how my flag animations come out. Good enough, as long as you don't have to look at it too long. There's this periodic puffing that goes on, and it's so difficult to get some texture in the wind. Sure, there's T buttons on some of the wind controls, but for the life of me, I can't get a directional wind to do anything but blow steadily, or not at all.

I just set up a second wind at right angles to the main one and envelope some strong gusts to disrupt.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THREEL
    YI don't even have high speed Internet, and I still download these tutes, because they help me to become a better modeler/animator.
    Agreed, I am only on DSL, but though the downloads take "a while", that HAS to be put in conext, after all, t'weren't too long ago I was on 56K

I love the size and the clarity of the videos and if it takes me 30 mins to get one, no biggie, worth every second of the wait.

Thanks again Will for all your hard work - my only problem is finding the time to watch them before you crank a new one out.

(edited because I missed the quote )
    Too old to die young.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast