Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a flag blowing in the wind

Creating a flag blowing in the wind

Creating a flag blowing in the wind :
    Click Here to view

Well, this is fascinating. I've struggled to get a nice flag animation for quite a while. I've had to resort to "cheats" like beating my flag up with collision balls and moving my whole set around so at least inertia would be on my side.

I didn't realize you had to set the wind up around a thousand percent. A thousand percent to get "silk" to move? That seems broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangleator
    Well, this is fascinating. I've struggled to get a nice flag animation for quite a while. I've had to resort to "cheats" like beating my flag up with collision balls and moving my whole set around so at least inertia would be on my side.

I didn't realize you had to set the wind up around a thousand percent. A thousand percent to get "silk" to move? That seems broken.

Not true...it all depends with scale. the values has to do with the size of the object.

Hmm. I generally try to build to real world scales, and I've had a tough time trying to get the kind of motion I used to get with the displacement method.

The various wind emitters have texture and envelope buttons, but I haven't seen lots of impact from these. Perhaps I should go to extreme values first.

Thanks for the response and the video!

I always type in extreme values to see what is going on....I'm a visual person so I dont think numbers too much

I have a flag blowing animation that I did a couple of years ago that I would like to share, but the file is over 45 Megs. Is there anyway to crunch this down, so I can get it within the limits to upload?

W x H 720 x 486
    Duration: 20 Sec.
    Frame Rate: 30 fps
    Sample Size: 24 bits
    Video Compression: Cinepak Codec

I haven't seen Williams vid on this, yet. I do remember anchoring the flags to the poles and setting the poles to fixed. I'm trying to remember the rest. I plan on downloading this tute to refresh my memory.

tHANX!

AL

The best luck I've had with sharing videos is the WMV format. Crushes down good. Not great for animations with lots of details. Particle animations, in particular, fall apart. But it should work great for a flag animation.

Save to an uncompressed AVI. Drag that AVI into Windows Movie Maker, which comes with XP. Save out. (There are no settings. Also, you're constrained to 4:3, although you can do different sizes.) Astonishing compression, sometimes.

just a sidenote but is it necessary for these videos to be so flippin' large?! in terms of filesize i mean.

i don't know about anybody else but i've completely disqualified the idea of checking any of them out because of the ludicrous wait times and i'm on a pretty fast dsl.

again, i can't speak for everybody but instructional videos don't really need anything close to pristine quality and 8.1 surround sound.....

check out the vids at pixologic's tuts site... small, fast and perfectly instructional.

jin

Quote Originally Posted by jin choung
    just a sidenote but is it necessary for these videos to be so flippin' large?! in terms of filesize i mean.

i don't know about anybody else but i've completely disqualified the idea of checking any of them out because of the ludicrous wait times and i'm on a pretty fast dsl.

again, i can't speak for everybody but instructional videos don't really need anything close to pristine quality and 8.1 surround sound.....

check out the vids at pixologic's tuts site... small, fast and perfectly instructional.

jin
    Jin, knock it the hell off.
    The videos aren't too large. If they are for you, maybe ditch the DSL and go cable. They take, for me, maybe ten seconds to download, if that.

That's the part about that. The next part might not be so nice.

This guy spends all this time putting these videos out - completely free, and we're all grateful for his efforts. Many of us are learning alot.
    You however - someone who I have never seen do anything but complain and moan, someone who has never given a tip beyond "Switch to Maya!" seek to now invade this with your foul presence and, of all things, complain about download speed.
    Do you care, even? I suspect you don't. Slow day on the rest of the board - couldn't find anything else to whine about?
    You were *really* interested in checking out this flag video? I doubt it, really. Considering all the time you spend pointing out LW's flaws, and demonstrating how maya is so much more capable, I very much doubt you had any interest in the video beyond finding a way to poke holes through it.
    Jeez, don't be such an ***** all the time.
    Allow those of us who appreciate William's efforts to enjoy it.

"small, fast, and perfectly instructional" are the videos from pixologic, eh?
    Maybe they are - I don't know, but these are too. particularly where 'perfectly instructional" is concerned (whatever that means - as opposed to flawed instructional, perhaps?)

Which brings up the question- why bother? Go on...shoo! head off to pixologic and enjoy this perfectly instructional thing, with no annoying and debilitating ten second time delay.
    F-off and let the rest of us enjoy these without your ever-negative presence.

Or, stay, and quietly appreciate them.

-OR- don't appreciate them, but be enough of a friggin adult to show some respect.
    no comment

tsk tsk.

f off or you're gonna make me mad.

jin

p.s. goodness of his heart aside - errr, the guy is a newtek employee. so... yeah.

and just so the rabid and frothy ranting of imi makes something mean something that i did not intend -

i don't mean to say that pixologic's videos are perfectly instructional while newtek's is not.

i mean to say that the videos are much smaller and while not pristine video quality, are "perfectly instructional" regardless of the lesser quality.

jin

and just so the rabid and frothy ranting of imi makes something mean something that i did not intend -
    If it seems like it means that which this frothy and ranting one perceived it as, maybe it's because it does seem to be saying that which is now denied.
    Let's analyze:
    "check out the vids at pixologic's tuts site... small, fast and perfectly instructional."

That was its own sentence, in its own line. Not apparently attached to any other thought, even stretching English literary techniques.
    Nope, it says basically, "these are not as good as what pixologic offers".
    If you meant something different, perhaps you should have used different words to describe that thought.

Nevertheless, I got angry, and I apologize for being so... frothy. I would have preferred a more controlled, more subtle reply.

Newtek employee or not, what does it matter, jin?
    You figure you have free reign to insult the newtek guy without hearing about it from those of us who might happen to like him and appreciate what he's been doing? Just because he's The Enemy, in your eyes?

C'mon dude, you know how to animate a flippin' flag. Even I do, and I'm not an animator. You didn't want to see the video, you just saw it as an opportunity to complain.

Oh well, whatever. I've said my thing. Normally I like you, but this is kinda disappointing. I'd have figured you were above petty complaining about things you're not really concerned about.
    no comment

Good video. I like this one. Nice effect using the collision object.

WHAT IS THE CONTEXT? the context of my statement is IN THE MIDDLE OF A POINT ABOUT FILE SIZE AND QUALITY. it is BRACKETED in statements about filesize.

and WHAT INSULT?!?!

i am saying that the file sizes are too big for their purpose. HOW IS THAT AN INSULT?

and WHAT ENEMY?! are you fing cracking up? why are you CREATING conflicts in your head? isn't there enough GENUINE conflict without you going off to lalaland and making stuff up?

and there have been videos that i've wanted to check out and the file size or newtek's server or whatever left me hanging for >5 minutes. both at home and at work. and in this age of youtube and flash video, that's just inexcusable.

if you aren't having a problem with file sizes, say so and move on. what the f is this tirade about?

jin

David,

tHANX for the tip on WMV. It worked great! The animation's a little grainy, but viewers should get the idea of the waving flags. I brought up the scene for the waving flags, and all could find were Motion Designer files that I had already calculated. I'll look some more and see if I can figure it out.

tHANX again!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast