Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Requests for SpeedEDIT 2.0 at NAB 2008

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Farrell
    ...Some of you may have gotten the wonderfull music library as a gift from NewTek, I made that music & soon will launch an online store where you can preview all of my music & purchase songs through paypal for only $2.00 each.

Here is a free song to download, it's good for corporate videos with a modern techy feel.

http://www.trustmedia.tv/Studio10.mp3

Enjoy! (More to come!)

Shawn L. Farrell
    www.trustmedia.tv
    Nice work on that set of royalty-free music files, Shawn -- and thanks for providing more -- and cost-effectively, in the near future.
    -PeterG

Newbie Member

Re:RequestedFeatures

Hello All:
    Yes on the #1 Sony MXF support- The VT- owning TV station I work at is seriously considering going with the sony system for their HD upgrade- I would be able to better persuade them to get the VT-5 upgrade for their toaster system if I can add that it handles that format. Right now they are considering diversified Edit systems and using all three (Vegas), (Premier), & (Newtek) but not necessarily upgrading the Newtek VT-3. One of the biggest uphill battles I face in promoting the Newtek system is its really peculiar Non-Windows standard interface. I have to train Interns & short term users a lot & most training time isnt on basic editing steps- its in teaching the DIFFERENT command steps in file management- DIFFERENT mouse commands to access tools- DIFFERENT Left & Right button functions - it goes on and on... So my major feature request #2 is a "Windows-Standard skin" that a user can select that will use the same window structure & command tools that all other stupid microsoft programs use. I don't love MS- it's just the language that most users know by now. -Oh and bee- 4 I ferget- a REAL C.G> Like i used to have on the AMIGA toaster! Yes- thats request #3 -: I STILL use Photo shop CS, because what you folks at Newtek call a C. G. for this incarnation, well, It "...Draws a High-Torr Vacuum." (it s**ks)
    Aaaaaany way, I still love the Newtek device- I have VT4.6 at home ;-)
    cheers
    When the stars threw down their spears, and watered Heaven with their tears...

SpeedEdit's really peculiar Non-Windows standard interface
    If the SpeedEdit were an "improvement" on the standard Window's interface then I would have no problem with it, even being non-standard. The sad fact, however, is that the SpeedEdit interface is approximately four times harder to navigate than a regular Windows interface. This means, in measurable terms, it takes approximately four times as many clicks to perform an operation in SpeedEdit than it does in a regular Windows interface.

SpeedEdit needs a speedy interface. A speedy interface is at the core of being a speedy editor. I find it highly ironic that SpeedEdit, which prides itself on being speedy in its realtime capabilities, comes wrapped in a very slow interface, the navigation through which is like unto chopping through a block of wood at great effort.

As the first step in SpeedEdit's 12 Step recovery program for challenged interfaces, allow me to suggest the assignment of a keyboard shortcut for all existing menu items. Step Two is the implementation of the ESC key, as well as back-introducing a normal ESC key function in the toaster app (let Menu in toaster be accessed by something other than ESC). Step Three is allow the resizing of the ToolShed window. These three steps are relatively easy to implement in the existing framework. Step 4 is to implement Windows standard behavior for mouse button press and hold etc when navigating menus (instead of having to perform discreet full clicks as currently in SE).

I'd also like to pile on and mention that the "Music Note Icon" which appears at the bottom left of clips in icon view hides the first few letters of the filename (unless you have very short filenames, or very large icons). Needless to say, this is unacceptable in a professional interface. Can you imagine Microsoft producing an Explorer where the icon symbol blocks the first few letters of the filename? I recommend Newtek stop outsourcing their interface design to Elbonia and pay a real interface designer to clean house.

When I purchased SpeedEdit, one of the determining factors was that it listed Windows XP Pro x64 as one of the operating system. Unfortunately, after purchasing the application, I come to find that is is a 32 bit application. Why list it as x64 compatitble if it is not an x64 program (like Lightwave IS)? I think it's a bit missleading, as 99% of 32 bit programs will run just fine on a x64 OS. Let's get a x64 version to take advantage of the additional processing power. That being said, I really do like the ap.

One thing that I noticed, I work with large (1920X1080) mpg files. These files bring SpeedEdit to a screeching hault! Sure, I can render it out in SpeedHQ and then all is fine, but why should I have to do that for a "resolution independent" application? I apologize if this has already been addressed. I'm new to this forum.

Thanks,

PS. YES PLEASE! Time Code burn in on clips on 16X9 clips!

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by mvansomeren
    ...One thing that I noticed, I work with large (1920X1080) mpg files.
    These files bring SpeedEdit [on my machine*] to a screeching hault!
    (*edit, peterg)
    OK. What are your system specs, MV?
    -PeterG
    Last edited by CreatvGnius; 03-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Quad Core x64 processor
    Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
    GFORCE 8500 Video Card (512MB DDR)
    8 Gig DDR2 6400 RAM
    1TB SATA system Drive
    2TB RAID SATA AV DRIVE

I have SE's CASH set to the AV DRIVE

It's not clear to me what sort of files you're starting with. You mention MPEG, but they're obviously not MPEG1 ... so, are they some MPEG2 variant other than HDV?

Could you elaborate a bit on "These files bring SpeedEdit to a screeching hault"?

And - have you done any sustained speed testing of the AV volume?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Certainly. These are MPEG2 files that are used in 3D movies and Motion ride attactions. You basically have two files, one for each eye. A special projector displays them simultaneously along with the use of special syncronized glasses. These files also contain 5.1 suround audio.

Interesting, thanks for the added detail.

A truly 1920 pixel wide format would require a file around 1/3 larger than HDV format does, other things being equal. Still, MPEG2 (in its various forms) is normally pretty efficient, and I'd have thought a decent array would not choke on it. Have you run any speed tests?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

If you're talking about file transfer speed, it's more than capable. In fact one of the strange things I noticed is when SE is just sitting there, the drive light is not even on. Once it appears that I can start working with the file, if I click on the file or try to scrub it, it freezes again for another 5 min or so. No other files or formats i've tried exibit this issue. I've even tried stripping out the sound, and it doesn't help. Once I render it out to SpeedHQ the world is beautiful again.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    If you're talking about file transfer speed, it's more than capable. In fact one of the strange things I noticed is when SE is just sitting there, the drive light is not even on. Once it appears that I can start working with the file, if I click on the file or try to scrub it, it freezes again for another 5 min or so. No other files or formats i've tried exibit this issue. I've even tried stripping out the sound, and it doesn't help. Once I render it out to SpeedHQ the world is beautiful again.

Can you chunk off a piece of the mpeg2 to send to John Perkins for testing?

Yep, a short sample might be useful.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Well there's the issue. I haven't been able to chop it up without altering the original format. I can't send the entire file(s) because it is proprietary in that its a movie that is about to be released for sale. There's no way the client will allow it. I will try and find a utility that will allow me to cut a small chunk of it and still retain it's original properties...or at least enough of them where is still handcuffs SpeedEdit. I'll let you know over the next couple of days.

Thanks,

CreatvGnius
    Quad Core x64 processor
    Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
    GFORCE 8500 Video Card (512MB DDR)
    8 Gig DDR2 6400 RAM
    1TB SATA system Drive
    2TB RAID SATA AV DRIVE

I have [SpeedEDIT's cachÚ] set to the AV DRIVE
    Oh, OK. Since for you, MV -- the trouble-prone file size is in the HD category, tell us something about your motherboard specs. Got one that sports an 800MHz Front-Side Buss, minimally, so as to not present a bottleneck to that system RAM?

I'd really like to hear an answer to Steve's query: Have you run any [actual] tests on that A/V drive array, as can be done with the disktest utility?
    -PeterG
    Last edited by CreatvGnius; 03-06-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Okay, I couldn't find the words front side buss anywhere in the documentation, this is what it says:

CPU

AMD Phenom™ processor (Socket AM2+)
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core/ Athlon™ 64 / Sempron processor
    High-performance HyperTransport 3.0 CPU Interface
    Support transfer rate of 5200/2000/1600/1200 mega-transfers per second
    CHIPSET

AMD« 770 & AMD« SB600
    North Bridge: AMD« 770
    South Bridge: AMD« SB600
    MEMORY

Dual-channel DDR2 800 memory architecture
    4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 32GB*
    Support DDR2 800/667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM

The speed of the installed memory is 800MHZ

as far as the a/v drive array speed, HD Tune 2.55 returned an average transfer rate of 91.8 MB / Sec You'll have to tell me if that is fast enough.

thanks,

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast