Thread: Amiga OS 4.0?

Amiga OS 4.0?

Am I missing something here? I was browsing the forums here and came across this:
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76844

Is the Amiga being revived or something? Unless I'm reading it wrong, 160 to 180 mhz isn't exactly stellar, even if the OS is the best in the world.

Is this just a nostalgia thing, or is the Amiga going to be revived, revamped, and brought into the 21st century?

I sort of know a little of its history, and I know a good many of you started out with LW and VT on the Amiga, but I'm just not understanding if this is a novelty thing for Amiga aficionados and collectors or if there's going to be an Amiga revival.
    no comment

I'ld like to know too myself
    passionately alive

Visit my portfolio!

TrueArt Support
    My Amiga has PowerPC G3 600 GHz, so your 160-180 GHz is quite out dated...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    My Amiga has PowerPC G3 600 GHz, so your 160-180 GHz is quite out dated...

Well I don't have one, I was just going by what I thought I read in the links in the thread I linked to. I didn't read it all, but I did see the numbers 160 mhz and 180 mhz in the links I followed.
    This is why I asked, because I really don't understand it, but my impression is that there are people hoping to bring the Amiga OS back. I would assume that would mean upping the processor speed or making it so it could use Intel and/or AMD, or maybe even something new.
    no comment

TrueArt Support
    There was in the past such thing that allowed to install AmigaOS straight away on Intel cpu - Amithlon.. Great thing.. Starting immediately from BIOS.. Reset was taking 1 second + time spend in BIOS loading by mobo..

What is the big deal about the Amiga OS anyway? Is it just super-efficient or something?
    I never had the pleasure of using an Amiga. I've never even seen one for that matter.
    no comment

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by IMI
    What is the big deal about the Amiga OS anyway?
    So, why are you bothering about it and starting thread and reading these articles?

Is it just super-efficient or something?
    I never had the pleasure of using an Amiga.
    Amiga is like LightWave..

At the time AmigaOS had everything and more of current WinXP in a couple of subjects important to user, PC was just a terminal where you had to enter commands by keyboard, and read texts instead of watching pictures..

I've never even seen one for that matter.
    Ridiculous..

Amiga was starting straight from the box, without having to install OS etc.
    Problems were appearing only if you wanted to use f.e. PPC with graphics cards, sound cards, and all additions to Amiga, which was never released by Commodore.. f.e. using old style games on modern Amiga with gfx/sfx card - big problem, because old game is badly written using hardware directly, instead of OS.. Therefore the best machine to play old games is PC with Windows and WinUAE which is emulating old hardware chipsets at acceptable, or even faster, rate than original HW..

Well, thanks for the information.
    As for "why are you bothering about it and starting thread and reading these articles?", it's just curiosity, plain and simple.
    no comment

If you're more interested in the subject I recommed you to read this book, it tells the story of one company that made one of the best personal computers of their time and nobody seems to remember today. The comparison with LW is very fair.

Of course you can only read the wikipedia.

Have a look here :

http://www.amiga.com/

as i understand it, AmigaOS and Commodore parted company, and the company that owns the rights to the OS is developing it alongside a new hardware platform (no relation to the commodore one).

I had a bit of nostalgia for it as I still have a Amiga 2000 that I haven't dusted off for a while
    Intel Quad core 2.66 GHz Windows 7 Pro 64,
    4GB DDRII,
    Nvidia Quadro FX 1500
    Carrara 7 Pro, Hexagon 2.2
    C4D Studio 11.5 + Architectural Extension

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    OS4 is the new ver for the Amiga running the PPC cpu.
    I have the 3.5 running the Warp 40 board.
    My Amiga is still in use along with the Toaster/Flyer.
    OS4 is what XP and Vista could be if done right

Amiga revival? Let's all hope
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

HardCore Non-planar User steamthunk's Avatar

I have an A1000...still...

Quote Originally Posted by IMI
    What is the big deal about the Amiga OS anyway? Is it just super-efficient or something?
    I never had the pleasure of using an Amiga. I've never even seen one for that matter.
    I have somewhere in my parents basement an A1000, A3000, A4000. I would say that if you've never used it during its heyday its difficult to really understand just how far ahead of the curve they were relative to the microcomputers of its day. Looking at it now in screen shots (even the Os4 ones) it looks quaint and outdated, but back in its prime it was truly a special operating system that just defied all conventions. The Mac-philes will have you know that Mac is The One True Innovator, but don't you believe it.

The Amiga opened up so many worlds, skills, and hobbies to me that persist to this day including 3D software (Caligari 2 anyone?) and gaming. Its probably overly dramatic to say that it changed my life, but really it did! It is really appalling how the history of microcomputing has been re-written to leave out so much of the Amiga's contributions. I think of this every time I start to read a history of any topic now!

Hello1
    I had very strong amiga with motorola 040/33 mhz, 32 MB of RAM and 1,6 GB of hard disk and Lightwave 4.5 !!
    Now in Poland where I lives there is a still amiga community. From time to time I'm reading some news about new amiga.
    It was great computer but now he doesn't have a future for me. Maybe seven years a go.
    I'm readed some reviews about amiga OS 4.0 and except new icons there is nothing specially.
    But remeber Amiga rulez! and PC SUXXX.