Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Smokey Give Away!

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    cool map

just note, Norway is the length of Florida.  
    Length of Florida?

Norway and Swedens lengths are much much longer ...perhaps 8 times longer, florida isnīt that large in length.
    Swedensīlength goes from maine, connecticut, delaware, north and south carolina and all the way down to florida....Roughly.

I just moved the nordic part in krita and mixed a bit, itīs funny how these land masses seem to actually fit together, but I do not think these masses were together in
    exactly that part millions of years ago, there are other plates so to speak that also fits better in, and the nordic part is much higher up in longitude of course, so it would have drifted not only apart but up, but I am not versed in the geological history so I canīt say for sure.

To bad the map as it was zoomed in, couldnīt provide the nordic cities as well, I would have had to zoom in on sweden and norway more, and thus getting the wrong scale for the print, and I would have to calculate how to scale it properly according the the united states, so that was too much fuzz to do.

fun to look at closer maps as well and see how the structures are built, the landscape, Sweden lot of fields, but otherwise almost all forrests, nestled lakes (which makes it tricky to get around to various suburbs in stockholm, one of the parts I hate about it..always have to travel routes around the lakes)

I think it is in principle mostly just Stockholm that lives with this kind of lakes that creeps in from the baltic sea, splitting the land in many islands, all over the city..not the same for the rest of sweden..where it is more fields and forrests with some occasional large sea or smaller sea.
    and cobbs, archipelagos, but rather flat until a bit over the midsection where the larger hillsides shows up and then the higher mountains with sarek for instance

While Norways mostly is fjords and compressed higher mountains..(it seems)

And the U.S ?...fields, fields, fields, long rivers, vastelands, mountains and deserts, and forrest as well, the U.S seem to have it all in abundance, except for that it doesnīt seem to have that much of nestled lakes in the cities like we have over here, I could be wrong though..as for archipelagos? that would be some coastlines in the U.S but I am not sure how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    Map is kind of iffy somehow, some ones been knocking back too much Aqua Vitae, I believe this is the common pastime for those long dark winter months in these northern parts, home brew brew moonshine
    It was just easier to block out some areas of lesser interest in the map than retouching and erase to get it all to fit since I layered various screenshots.

Russia by the way, enormous land areas there as well ..with nothing but forrests it seems, so much resources for wood, then again it is also functional as the biggest lung in eastern europe, the russian taiga.

Ainīt earth a fantastic place? or could be at least, a shame we canīt visit every place of beauty on earth,
    and a shame that we canīt take care of it better.

Whatīs that place called now?
    ...Zihuatanejo

And back to topic, just noticed that you posted my scene sample as a vid also..great.

Hereīs the kind of tiny particle style I did 2013, something around 363 000 particles, (not enough) but multiply that by 4 or more, and then a slight blur effect..it will be much better, if only I could get a way to batch process the krita filter, or a way to use the same type of filter it has in a video editing software, fusions available filter isnīt good enough for that kind of blurriness that can maintain some parts also sharp.

I may have a go at it again later..much else in my priority though, itīs fun to use particles and wind forces though, as long as you can keep the particles under a couple of hundreds of thousands, since it doesnīt have to calculate as much as fluids often, but that depends on fluid resolution as well.

Basicly I have sort of put particle effects for smoke back in the shelf, would be nice if it could adapt some krakatoa tech behind it.

Unfortunately I do not know exactly where I have this sample scene, could also be on another computer that went down some years ago.
    But personally I think this one is far better than the Smokey scene I shared, if you just crank particles up a bit and adress some blurring.

And krita filtering, repair/smooth anisotrophic.
    There are so many value sliders there so a lot to tweak as you please.

If I get the time, manually opening each frame in a simulation and applying the filter, it only has to open the image, apply the favourite filter with settings already setup, then save and close and open next in a batch process.
    As mentioned, free fusion doesnīt have smoothing filters that gives equally nice results with so many controls to have it both be sharp depending on and smooth.

I think I asked about how to batch processing in the krita forums, but no answer..or something else there that wasnīt picked up properly.

The animation would look very much better, and more as actual smoke with this filter applied.
    To note, I just took a screenshot of my own lousy youtube quality vid and processed, so yes the original source material could be better as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoke filtering.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	148676

This is the kind of talk that my mother told me would happen if I became an artist.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

is that bad ?

krita filtering, repair/smooth anisotrophic
    Nice.

Yep, more particles = better result. Maybe i'll test further later.
    Would be good with a faster computer. Hopefully i'll put a new PC together in a few weeks. Waiting for the CPU fan. Bought a Ryzen 1700, should be ok.

-----------

sorry, yes, my bad

Florida 721 km
    Norway 1752 km
    Last edited by erikals; 09-11-2020 at 05:10 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    is that bad ?

Nice.

Yep, more particles = better result. Maybe i'll test further later.
    Would be good with a faster computer. Hopefully i'll put a new PC together in a few weeks. Waiting for the CPU fan. Bought a Ryzen 1700, should be ok.

Probably also matter of amount of ram and what kind of ram, speed on those as well.

apart from the hack of post processing, You can always hack it a bit, by saving to pfx, load two or more versions of it and offset it slightly in position, that way you will sort of offset iterate the whole thing, also hack it by using object surface renders, and object fixed, then mix.

getting right amount of particles, right voxel size, right density, that is one thing...then you got to find the best turbulence force vector settings, perhaps vortex, perhaps rotation, perhaps dougnut.

Apart from those forces..you could also use directional force and in the vectors for that, use additive procedural textures and animated ripples for instance, gives nice undulations and if set right it can serve like strong convectional force that accurs in fast heat fire or smoke curls in the beginning, usually you mix that in additive or
    multiply so it doesnīt override the initial force uplift from the directional vectors in the wind itself.

using the directional force and procedural textures is much more computer intense though, than using procedural textures on the velocity vectors for the particle emitter instead of inside the wind, but procedural textures on the velocity vectors in the particle emitter will only yield a certain motion vector movement for the start of it, not really very dynamic over time and interactio as the velocity vectors inside a directional wind force.

Remember pawel olas fire and smoke generator, it had some nice vortex fields, where each particle could be a vorticle effector I think.

Then again, we now have gas solver, or use that free software, or embergen perhaps, I really need to get going with that.
    For such stuff with vdb and the other fluid solutions, it may be a bit more tricker to exactly do what you want in the turbulence, and trickier to get that soft and sharp edge shading.

Some guys over at blender forum wanted me to post how I set up the forces for the fluids in blender for this sort of cig smoke stuff, but I havenīt had time or direct any interest for it right now.
    For shading...a lot of nodes to get the edges and overlapping/intersecting smoke flow to be more dense, bright bet less opaque or dense where it doesnt intersect.

Interesting this topic, thanks once again for sharing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234