Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, what are you playing at?

T.A.F.K.A. daveythegravy DaveLEWIS's Avatar

Newtek, what are you playing at?

Well, I am afraid this is a rant, so take a deep breath.....

Lightwave is definitely my favorite 3D software. I use other apps in my pipeline, but I always come back to Lightwave to resolve those problems that always rear their ugly head near a deadline.

The new features are nice, and I have had fun playing with them.......................................But.... ...........and now here is the rant:

Why on Earth is Lightwave still two applications. The reason why I ask this question is in relation to Character rigging. I always dread rigging a character due to there being this problem between Modeler and Layout. More over, why isn't the actual rig attached the the character, rather than to Layout. Life would be so much easier if this were the case.

Come on Newtek, please sort out rigging so that we can have an easier life.

DaveLEWIS

Industrial Illusionist brian.coates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveLEWIS
    Why isn't the actual rig attached the the character, rather than to Layout. Life would be so much easier if this were the case.
    Agreed, although I prefer LW as two separate apps. To my mind modelling and layout/rendering are better handled individually.

Freelance 3D Artist
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.coates
    Agreed, although I prefer LW as two separate apps. To my mind modelling and layout/rendering are better handled individually.
    I'm sure there is a way to make it 1 app with 2 workflow/interface.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveLEWIS
    Why on Earth is Lightwave still two applications.
    Time. Development time to be precise.
    I'm pretty sure there'll be a unified app in the future (it just makes too much sense in any way) ... but since both apps have different cores it isn't an easy task.

Cheers,
    Mike

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SP00
    I'm sure there is a way to make it 1 app with 2 workflow/interface.
    Yeah, I don't see that as a problem either. The interfaces don't even have to visually be one application - as long as the share the same core behind the scenes.

Cheers,
    Mike

I think it would be nice if LW just switched between Modeler and Layout gui's in the one intefrace/program. Perhaps with a hybrid interface as well for those who pefer it. I agree about the rigging and I would like to see animatable modeler commands as well.

There are no reasons left to have the two apps separate. For those who like modeling separated from the workflow it would be entirely possible to simply have a switch that wouuld load up a different layout and/or interface, and simply hide all the commands not related to modeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjaggy
    There are no reasons left to have the two apps separate. For those who like modeling separated from the workflow it would be entirely possible to simply have a switch that wouuld load up a different layout and/or interface, and simply hide all the commands not related to modeling.
    100% AGREE!

This would be much simpler and practical to everybody!

And yet I think of Lightwave as one app (allthough) the hub needs to be more robust in order for that to be really true.

I Like the separation, doesn't bother me at all. but ultimately, I think there are a number of issues that, for me, takes precedence over "integration". If the apps get turned into "one" I'll still use Lightwave, although I won't agree with the choice.

my devalued 1.5 cents
    Kevin
    There is something far greater.

Dave,

Phew, quite a rant I agree the two apps need merging but Newtek have stated that's their intention.

You can still rig a character in one scene and then bring it into another scene fully rigged using "Add object from scene" so it's not too inconvenient.

An alternative is to use skelegons which are part of the object. I'm sure you know this.

PS Have missed your and Lisa's work on the forums lately... any new characters on the way?
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Rant??

Rants have to have "FRIGGIN' all over....
    Rants must include CAPITAL LETTERS so we know your really mad...
    Rants must by law have '(*&#!!$#$*(*&^)' throughout.

So get out of that little sandbox your in and FRIGGIN RANT &%$#&&it !!!!!!!!!

Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Lightwaves ik suck

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjack
    Lightwaves ik suck
    That sounds more like a rant even when I don't agree with the message
    passionately alive

Visit my portfolio!

I thought of a cool plugin the other day, but realized it couldn't be done b/c Layout cannot create geometry. And this is because Layout and Modeler are not connected.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

I like them separate so you don't have to have secret keys at -1 with models at 0, 0, 0 just incase you want to make changes. This way you can just bring up modeler where all you have is the model you want and a nice clean well organized modeling environment. You don't have your particles, objects, and flying cows all getting in way making you have to hide them just to see your model clearly.

Would be nice to see them written into one solid core though and all controlled as one program, all the hassle of 3 programs crashing independently instead of one big crash is annoying. 8)

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast