Thread: Want to cut up my video clip

Newbie Member

Want to cut up my video clip

Hi

Hope there is a way out.
    I have a long video clip that came from my video camera on my computer. Do not have those tape anymore on video camera.

How do I cut this big clip into small clips? Like when you capture from your camera to pc.

Can I cut that big clip that is already on my computer into small clips

Hope there are any help

Thanks
    Barend

Sure, right on the timeline as you edit.

If you mean, "Smaller pieces of this large video to my harddrive", I would be hard pressed to ask you why?

Your question is a bit vague for much more.

If you mean cut the file on the hard drive so that you can delete the unused portions, then you would cut it in the timeline and render the portions you want to keep into separate files, then delete the original file.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my mini DVR that I use as a recorder for a helmet cam.

The DVR records 720x480 in Dvix mp4 and the files are about 900 meg each.

I can't find anything that can handle the files, besides just playback with no fast forward or seek.

I've tried Dvix editors, AVI split (works great with anything else),
    and of course, SE just chokes on the 900 meg file.

The only way I can split the files it is to use the DVR as a player, and record it on a DVD record deck. Then I can use the vob files and convert to better formats.

Why don't you use the DVR as a player and record it directly the the hard via SE in a format that SE handles better? Why would you record to DVD and then try to extract the VOB?
    Also, if you can put the file on the timeline in SE, then you could just render it to something else rather than trying to edit the mp4 directly.

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    to the original question, this is something I have asked for before....

Generally speaking, I shoot all the video I can with the intent of deleting later (after all, it has been historically eaiser to throw away footage than to recreate that priceless shot after you missed it).

You have to render it or babysit your captures if you want to thow stuff out in SE, at this time.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Quote Originally Posted by KiteGlider
    I can't find anything that can handle the files, besides just playback with no fast forward or seek.

If nothing seeks within the file, it sounds like it is compressing with an extremely long GOP so there are many frames between I-frames. This is incredibly hard to work with.

How do you mean "SE just chokes on the 900 meg file"? I would like to track this down and correct it.

I would probably select the file in a filebin, then from the context menu, render/convert to a more editable format like SpeedHQ or DV prior to starting my project. Otherwise the slow seeking will cause a massive slowdown.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

long capture

I have successfully captured and edited a SD dv 2 file that was 18 hours in length. It was used as a test.

I also use SE as the capture device using auto chop to video seminars and isolate the various speakers.

This was done with my Sony viao using a firewire link to the camera. a core duo.This was done to save an 8 hour digitizing time later. Yes, I did a tape backup.

back at the studio plug my 250g wd book into the vt4.6 for edit.

The proof copies were on 3 Cd's with wmf's encoded out of SE time line with the time code effect.
    boy was that a time saver.
    Pete

Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Draves
    The proof copies were on 3 Cd's with wmf's encoded out of SE time line with the time code effect.
    boy was that a time saver.
    Pete
    So I take it you had to have all 18 hours in your project to make it appear to be the actual clip TC?

That would work, but it's very limited compared to using the actual clip TC tied to the clip... Especially when you start to cut it up from an EDL later... At that point, it stops working.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

long

The 18 hrs was a independent test. but SE handled it well. With manual chop you would never have to do such a thing in real life.

The actual edit was captured using manual chop
    where the camera never stoped except for lunch or table breaks when interviews were performed.
    the actual clips from the seminar were less than 1.5 hrs.
    That still was a lot to capture in a day.
    The tests were to see if SE on a laptop to an external usb2 drive was a feasible way to go.

It was.
    not a frame dropped.
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by KiteGlider
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my mini DVR that I use as a recorder for a helmet cam.

The DVR records 720x480 in Dvix mp4 and the files are about 900 meg each.

The only way I can split the files it is to use the DVR as a player, and record it on a DVD record deck. Then I can use the vob files and convert to better formats.
    QuicktimePro I think can render thes divz files out to something more standard. Download the divx codec for QuicktimePro, open your file and export as a format that works for you. (probably a dv stream?)
    - Tin Can Films -
    [url]http://www.tincanfilms.com[/url]
    [url]http://homepage.mac.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.thesupercools.com[/url]
    VT at work - FCP at home - TP in the potty
    (opinions expressed are solely my own)