Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D-Brush & LWO

3D-Brush & LWO

I want to implement LWO import/export in 3D-Brush (www.3d-brush.com) so I want to ask several questions:

1) I have read the specification of LWO and I see that every face have a smoothing group. Is it like in 3D-Max (32-bit mask) or it is simply index of smoothing group? In this case, is it possible to create objects with smoothing like on the picture below?

2) Can someone send me ( [email protected] )some example of simple LWO file with several objects, several smoothing groups,UV-mapping, several textures/materials (for example two cubes or something like this)?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samp1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	51139  

Cool

Smoothing in LW is based on an angle limit between polygons on a per surface basis. For example, a surface might have a Smoothing Limit of 30, so any adjoining polys belonging to that surface which have an angle of more than 30 degrees between them with have a sharp edge, whereas polys with less than 30 degrees difference will have a phong edge interpolation.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Thank you!

So the smoothing group attribute is not used in LW (or not commonly used)?

Wow, Cool indeed.... Thanks for listening and taking implementing such a feature so quickly.... Look forward to using 3D-Brush much more.

If you need any real information than what is contained in the documentation, don't hesitate to email the LW-P mailing list, as it's more commonly visited by LW programming elite, such as Jarno and Ernie, who know the .LWO standard fairly well. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lw-plugin/

I will send you out an assortment of objects as you requested, ASAP.
    (It's unfortunate that once again Newtek seem to not like having Demo version for download)

Edit: A Smoothing value is quite commonly used in Lightwave..
    Last edited by RedBull; 10-11-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Wow, having played with it, I think I'm going to have to purchase it.... And I own zbrush 3 already!
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Thank you! I love LW community!

=/ would be seriously tempted to buy that too but =/ in the process of about to upgrade my computer and since it is locked to the computer you register on it look slike i will probally miss the discount pricing=/

If you will change or upgrade the computer you can simply send new Hadrware ID to support and we will send the new serial to you without any additional payment.

I'm just a wanna be.
    Now that's customer support. I honestly wish more people would do that. I have a lot of software I can no longer use because they won't let me change my hardware ID from my initial registration. It's a pain in the butt, especially for software I bought ages ago and the expected life cycle for a computer for me is at most 2 years before a complete replacement.

This is really cool stuff. Direct lwo support. I would buy 3d-brush but at this time it won't work on my laptop because of stinky graphic card. But I will certainly have it in mind. Good stuff!
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

Andrew, I have emailed you an assortment of .LWO with various flags/options set, multi-layered objects, subpatch, uv, smoothed and non-smoothed objects.
    Again, thanks for the quick uptake of this feature, i look forward to your progress. Anything else i can do, please let me know.

President, 3D Product Division
    Andrew, best to contact Chuck Baker at NewTek, as he can make sure that you have the latest specifications. I would recommend all third party developers take this path.
    Jay Roth
    NewTek
    www.lightwave3d.com
    http://twitter.com/jaymroth

"Everything I write is forward looking -- specifications are subject to change without notice..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewShpagin
    Thank you! I love LW community!
    Andrew,

Your program is really exciting news... Lightwave users don't have the facility to paint directly in the program so 3D Brush with Lightwave support would be fantastic. I'm a ZBrush user but will certainly take a look, it's great value. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.
    Last edited by bobakabob; 10-12-2007 at 05:58 AM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Thanks!

I plan to make LWO support during the week. Now import is done on 50%.

Also I have a question to jayroth: how is better to contact Chuck Baker? Through mail to support or in some other way? Now I use LWO specification from

http://web.archive.org/web/200104231...fmts/lwo2.html

But I don't know if this this documentation is complete. I am interested in using dispalacement and normalmaps in LW because 3D-Brush is especially good for this purpose.

We keep the SDK publicly available on our 3D Party Developers page:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/developers

In addition to the SDK for the current shipping version, when we are conducting testing in Open Beta we usually post the SDK version current with the build in testing (which reminds me - I need to send the latest to the Web team today to post).

I will leave you a Private Message with my email - email works best for developer support as I can easily forward that along to the appropriate developer to get answers for you.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast