Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly Face Cam??

Poly Face Cam??

It is possible to simulate a FACE CAM for all the polygons of an object through the node editor??
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

What's a face cam?
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

The Spot Info node has polyface and normals output, so I'm sure there would be a way to make sure the poly's are always facing the camera somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by jameswillmott
    What's a face cam?

yea what the hack do you mean?

Do you mean the thing you can do with the Advanced Camera? Use an object as cam? or?
    Last edited by 3DGFXStudios; 10-05-2007 at 04:58 AM.

A Face Cam is where the polygons will face the camera in a spherical fashion..

Example.. If you made a tree with a lot of quads that are not attached to each other.. If you make sure they face the camera at all times it would look like the tree is full with very few polygons..

Here is a link to what it looks like..
    http://trees.polas.net/plugins/face2cam.php

Though that is a plugin and was wondering if the same could be done with Nodes

TrueArt Support
    Though that is a plugin and was wondering if the same could be done with Nodes
    You don't fully understand idea of surface nodes - they are executed for polygon's spot hit by ray.. In other words it's too early to have your effect.. You need plug-in that will be displacing original polygon's points so polygons are properly rotated to camera, prior any ray is casted to the scene..

That sort of thing should be easily doable as a displacement type plugin, eh Sensei?
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

TrueArt Support
    Sure it's possible to make as displacement plug-in, but it's rather difficult.. Displacements are evaluated for single points, and there is no direct info what polygons have this point - you must scan the all polys and check each their point to compare and assign point to particular poly.. Programmed this way plugin, can be useful (due to highly increasing of slowness) only for simple meshes with max. hundered polys..

I used to use a plugin often called FaceCam & Face2Object by Henrik Bengtsson for LW5.x.. Pawel Olas has the commercial Face2Cam plugin more recently.
    The link i have for Henriks 5.x plugins are on Marvins site, but it looks like the linked domain is no longer valid.
    http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/intro.html

Pawel's version is not supported under LW9 either, and is free if you buy RamdomCloner.
    http://www.polas.net/plugins/face2cam.php
    Last edited by RedBull; 10-06-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBull
    Pawel's version is not supported under LW9 either, and is free if you buy RamdomCloner.
    http://www.polas.net/plugins/face2cam.php
    FYI, we use Pawel's Face2Camera plug-in quite a bit and it works fine under 9.2. We use it for fast rendering landscape elements (i.e. hundreds of clip-mapped tree and shrubbery 'cards'.) We even used it once to generate huge crowds of people.

I just did a test in 9.3 and Face2Camera seems to work fine in this version as well.

DRG

I know there are plugins out there that can do this.. Just wondering if under a displacement node that it could be done.. Sounds like it might be a little more complex since you might have to scan and store data..

FaceCam (FaceCamera) from 5.0 days still works in 9.3

Gerardo

it's quite easy to do without plugins, not exactly the same way but the result is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem
    it's quite easy to do without plugins, not exactly the same way but the result is the same.
    Please explain.

DRG

I guess Ztreem may be referring to Follower, Channel Follower or SetDriven Key.

Gerardo
    Last edited by gerardstrada; 10-13-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast