Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poly Face Cam??

Some quick steps to do this is:

modeler.
    1. make a poly for clipmapping facing Z+
    2. make points where you want to clone the polyface.

layout.
    1. target the polygon to camera and setup all the textures for it.
    2. make the pointcloud an emitter and set the number of points in your pointcloud to birth rate and particle limit. Set it to generate by frame and set the life time to 0.
    3. use FXLinker to clone your poly object to all the points
    4. now you have all your clones facing the camera.

Easy and fast.

Here's a scene to play with, it's only null's but you get the idea. Move the camera and you'll see.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gerardstrada
    I guess Ztreem may be referring to Follower, Channel Follower or SetDriven Key.
    Possibly, but as far as I know none of those methods would allow you to rotate individual polygons of an object as if each one had its own pivot point--at least not the way Pawel's plug-in does.

Which reminds me of another advantage to using Pawel's Face2Camera: when setting the pivot of your object's elements (i.e., a tree card), the plug-in allows you to define how many points make up each element, so your element can be made of multiple polygons or ngons. This is a good way to get a little more depth out of your elements as your camera higher up, but it can get tricky if the elements are too complex, and of course this begins to defeat the reason for using the plug-in in the first place.

DRG

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem

modeler.

layout.
    2. make the pointcloud an emitter and set the number of points in your pointcloud to birth rate and particle limit. Set it to generate by frame and set the life time to 0.

Easy and fast.
    I see what you mean, but with FXLinker you're actually working with a scene containing many cloned objects (e.g., your scene has over a hundred objects,) and not a single object with multiple elements.

Pawel's Face2Camera solution is actually much simpler and easier to manage because, for example, you would have only one object representing a hundred cards, which makes a huge difference in managing the Scene Editor or Schematic View. This is especially desireable if the cards are meant to be just one element in a much more complicated scene (and typically I am working with a lot more than just a hundred cards, more like thousands.) When dealing with tight schedules and really complicated scenes, it's always better to keep things as simple and easy to manage as possible, especially if many other artists will be working in your scenes as well.

DRG

You're totaly right, as I said it's not exactly the same solution but the end result is the same in terms that a lot of polys is facing the camera all the time.

You're totaly right, as I said it's not exactly the same solution but the end result is the same in terms that a lot of polys is facing the camera all the time.
    Then again, the solution you proposed is completely free. For most users that's a good argument in its favor.

(Face2Camera is only free to registered Random Cloner users so it's not really free.)

Cheers,

DRG

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw
    Possibly, but as far as I know none of those methods would allow you to rotate individual polygons of an object as if each one had its own pivot point--at least not the way Pawel's plug-in does.

Which reminds me of another advantage to using Pawel's Face2Camera: when setting the pivot of your object's elements (i.e., a tree card), the plug-in allows you to define how many points make up each element, so your element can be made of multiple polygons or ngons. This is a good way to get a little more depth out of your elements as your camera higher up, but it can get tricky if the elements are too complex, and of course this begins to defeat the reason for using the plug-in in the first place.

DRG

There's at least a way to do that with Follower, Channel Follower or SetDriven Key. Adding a bone to its respective weightmap for every object's element (VertexPaint can help here). Follower, Channel Follower or SetDriven Key can be added then to bones and all is still a single object. Is not so easy to set up like Face2Camera, but it works (with multiple polygons or ngons too). Maybe is possible to automate the process with an script.

modeler.

layout.

Easy and fast.

Easy and fast Ztreem. I'd add a follower to that setup instead if camera rotates

Gerardo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12